Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cradle of Coaches - John Harbaugh (Super Bowl Edition)
Bookmark and Share
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Cradle of Coaches - John Harbaugh (Super Bowl Edition)
Rockin' the Cradle

John Harbaugh trying to live up to the Cradle of Coaches

Posted by: Chris Vannini on January 24, 2013

While John Harbaugh's upcoming battle with his brother Jim is the major story of the Super Bowl, there's another family Harbaugh is in.

The Cradle of Coaches.

John Harbaugh is the latest football coach from Miami (OH) to find major success. Harbaugh is a bit different, though, as he was a player at the school, compared to most notable coaches whose careers went through Oxford.

"It's a great pride in Miami," Harbaugh said Thursday. "You look at the tradition at Miami. That's something, when you go there, they make sure you understand pretty well. Players, coaches and the football tradition there just means so much. What Don Treadwell's doing there is something I'm proud of.

"I can't support that enough. Love and honor to Miami. I love that school, I love the people there."

Harbaugh was a defensive back at the school, not earning a letter until his senior season and graduating in 1984. He played with two current Miami (OH) coaches: head coach Treadwell and defensive coordinator Jay Peterson.

The Cradle of Coaches mostly includes notable college coaches, but former Redhawks offensive coordinator Sean Payton won the Super Bowl with the New Orleans Saints in 2010.

Harbaugh is the second Miami (OH) alumnus to be a head coach in a Super Bowl, joining Weeb Ewbank, who won Super Bowl 3 with the New York Jets.

"I'm just trying to live up to that in some way," he said. "That's the pressure in this game. You look at the names that are up there. Maybe some of you guys know. You go back to Ara Parseghian and Sid Gillman, and you keep going back through Bo (Schembechler) and Woody (Hayes). Earl 'Red' Blaik, that's a pretty good coaching name. We take great pride in that."

http://m.coachingsearch.com/home/2326-jo...aches.html
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 11:11 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
01-27-2013 11:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

All American

RE: Cradle of Coaches - John Harbaugh (Super Bowl Edition)
I think Harbaugh would be at least the 4th Miami Cradle of Coaches Super Bowl victory. Some serious football talent flows through Oxford which makes it frustrating that Miami has mostly been on a multi-year winning drought save 2010.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 11:30 PM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
01-27-2013 11:29 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
I'm not sure what he's talking about when he says he's proud of Treadwell, two 4-8 seasons aren't exactly ground shattering. Unless he counts the OU win and us being up 3-0 against OSU at the end of the first quarter.
01-27-2013 11:40 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Top THIS for Cradle of Coaches, Miami: Per Warthog on the AZZ board St. Alyoisious(sp) Elementsry in BG has three NFL coaching alums, the Harbaughs and Rob Chudzinski.
01-27-2013 11:43 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Good coverage, but not a well structured article.
01-28-2013 06:55 AM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Sean Payton (Saints) was a Miami assistant under Randy Walker and several members of his staff were also at Miami when he was there. Aaron Kromer, who was the Saints temporary head coach this year, played and coached at Miami.
01-28-2013 02:37 PM
All American

ESPN has picked up on this....

OXFORD, Ohio -- Ravens coach John Harbaugh will be inducted into the "Cradle of Coaches" association at his alma mater Miami (Ohio) University next year.

A bronze, life-size statue of Harbaugh will be added to the Cradle of Coaches display on a plaza outside Yager Stadium early next year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/899239...le-coaches

said Harbaugh. "So many of the things we do today with the Ravens is stuff we did at Miami." "I had a great experience at Miami," he continued. What Miami taught me more than anything else was how to think for myself. Miami's faculty was off the charts. It was just a hugely valuable education."

[Image: VLTNCMHGNSYTMWN.20130204172118.jpg]

http://www.muredhawks.com/ViewArticle.db...=206209863
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 03:37 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
02-27-2013 03:30 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-27-2013 03:30 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  ESPN has picked up on this....

OXFORD, Ohio -- Ravens coach John Harbaugh will be inducted into the "Cradle of Coaches" association at his alma mater Miami (Ohio) University next year.

A bronze, life-size statue of Harbaugh will be added to the Cradle of Coaches display on a plaza outside Yager Stadium early next year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/899239...le-coaches

said Harbaugh. "So many of the things we do today with the Ravens is stuff we did at Miami." "I had a great experience at Miami," he continued. What Miami taught me more than anything else was how to think for myself. Miami's faculty was off the charts. It was just a hugely valuable education."
http://www.muredhawks.com/ViewArticle.db...=206209863

03-lmfao
02-27-2013 07:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.