Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bracketbusters
Bookmark and Share
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
Bracketbusters
The match-ups for the final Bracketbusters will be announced tomorrow. Akron and Ohio should get TV games.
01-27-2013 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
RE: Bracketbusters
I am hopeful Ohio gets a better matchup than the rpi would suggest based on the marketability of a team coming off a successful tournament run. Wins for Akron and Ohio along with the rest of the MAC could prove crucial for any postseason seedings...
01-27-2013 04:45 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
History doesn't bear that out. The games mean very little to anyone unless the teams are ranked. I can't imagine the selection committee pays any special attention to the outcomes more than any other game a team plays that has to win its conference tourney to get in. What could beating another 50-100 RPI team do for seeding? You're looking at a 13-14 seed at best anyway.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 04:58 PM by axeme.)
01-27-2013 04:57 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

The way the home and away teams are organized, the home teams have much higher RPIs on average. Ohio will benefit and should get matched up with someone ranked above them. Akron will likely get stuck with a team 20 or 30 spots below them.

Doesn't really matter, as long as the MAC comes away with a winning record.
01-27-2013 05:01 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

When has it ever mattered what record the MAC comes away with in this?
01-27-2013 05:05 PM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

(01-27-2013 05:05 PM)axeme Wrote:  When has it ever mattered what record the MAC comes away with in this?

The MAC winning more instead of losing more would help the conferences RPI.

Honestly, I hope the MAC goes undefeated, but my biggest hopes are that Akron and Ohio win. I just threw in the comment about the rest of the MAC so trolls couldn't accuse me of being a MAC hater for not supporting the entire MAC.

As for your comment on seeding, I think Ohio and Akron are both in the mix for better then a 13. They both need to keep winning....
I do not believe the bracketbuster matters more than any other game, but I do think both could significantly benefit from another quality win.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 05:15 PM by The Optimist.)
01-27-2013 05:13 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

Since they expanded the field, the 12 seeds have tended to be major conference teams. Virtually no chance for an 11 seed with such blah non-conference records. I think 13 would be the best possible seed for either Ohio or Akron and 15-16 for another MAC team winning the conference tourney. Nobody has any signature wins over solid tourney teams.
01-27-2013 06:05 PM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

(01-27-2013 06:05 PM)axeme Wrote:  Since they expanded the field, the 12 seeds have tended to be major conference teams. Virtually no chance for an 11 seed with such blah non-conference records. I think 13 would be the best possible seed for either Ohio or Akron and 15-16 for another MAC team winning the conference tourney. Nobody has any signature wins over solid tourney teams.

Are you just making this up as you go because you don't like me?

2012 (1/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
VCU
Harvard
Long Beach State
South Florida

2011 (1/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Clemson
Richmond
Memphis
Utah State

2010 (0/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
NMSU
Cornell
UTEP
Utah State

2009 (2/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Zona
Wisconsin
Northern Iowa
WKU

2008 (2/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
George Mason
Temple
NOVA
WKU

2007 (2/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Old Dominion
Arkansas
Illinois
Long Beach State

2006 (1/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Texas A&M
Utah State
Kent State
Montana

2005 (0/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
New Mexico
George Washington
Old Dominion

Now I could keep counting back, but at this point I don't want to waste anymore time. Seeing that I have yet to see 1 season where the tournament 12 seeds were dominated by major conference teams, I'm doubting I will find the whole era dominated by major teams like you suggested.
Maybe in the 90's 12 seeds were dominated in the tournament by major conference teams; even if that is the case, I don't see how that is relevant. It is clear the current trend is for non-majors to take up the majority of 12 seed spots. (I assumed you meant the 1985 expansion of the tournament to 64 teams, even though we have expanded the tournament 2 times since then.)

You mentioned the "best possible scenario." The best possible scenario is Ohio and Akron winning out (including bracket busters) and only beating each other. Seeing that they have yet to lose in the MAC, I don't think that is particularly unreasonable to imagine (although it is difficult to do)... If they do that, I think they will have the record and rpi to command a seed above 13 in the big dance. Their biggest issue is the lack of key OOC wins, which is one of the big reasons I mentioned the bracket buster being so important.
01-27-2013 07:23 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Other than when Miami plays them, I am rooting for OU and Akron to keep winning. 16-0, 15-1, even 14-2 regular season MAC record with a Championship game could earn at large bid. These two teams are clearly better than the rest of the league, so it could possibly happen.
01-27-2013 07:30 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

(01-27-2013 07:23 PM)The Optimist Wrote:  
(01-27-2013 06:05 PM)axeme Wrote:  Since they expanded the field, the 12 seeds have tended to be major conference teams. Virtually no chance for an 11 seed with such blah non-conference records. I think 13 would be the best possible seed for either Ohio or Akron and 15-16 for another MAC team winning the conference tourney. Nobody has any signature wins over solid tourney teams.

Are you just making this up as you go because you don't like me?

2012 (1/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
VCU
Harvard
Long Beach State
South Florida

2011 (1/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Clemson
Richmond
Memphis
Utah State

2010 (0/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
NMSU
Cornell
UTEP
Utah State

2009 (2/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Zona
Wisconsin
Northern Iowa
WKU

2008 (2/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
George Mason
Temple
NOVA
WKU

2007 (2/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Old Dominion
Arkansas
Illinois
Long Beach State

2006 (1/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Texas A&M
Utah State
Kent State
Montana

2005 (0/4 of 12 seeds are from a major conference)
Wisconsin-Milwaukee
New Mexico
George Washington
Old Dominion

Now I could keep counting back, but at this point I don't want to waste anymore time. Seeing that I have yet to see 1 season where the tournament 12 seeds were dominated by major conference teams, I'm doubting I will find the whole era dominated by major teams like you suggested.
Maybe in the 90's 12 seeds were dominated in the tournament by major conference teams; even if that is the case, I don't see how that is relevant. It is clear the current trend is for non-majors to take up the majority of 12 seed spots. (I assumed you meant the 1985 expansion of the tournament to 64 teams, even though we have expanded the tournament 2 times since then.)

You mentioned the "best possible scenario." The best possible scenario is Ohio and Akron winning out (including bracket busters) and only beating each other. Seeing that they have yet to lose in the MAC, I don't think that is particularly unreasonable to imagine (although it is difficult to do)... If they do that, I think they will have the record and rpi to command a seed above 13 in the big dance. Their biggest issue is the lack of key OOC wins, which is one of the big reasons I mentioned the bracket buster being so important.

My error. I thought I remembered differently, but no need to go back past last year when they expanded the field to 68 and made 12 seeds play a first round game. Cal was also a 12 seed (so 2/5 12 seeds, but I still stand corrected.) They also had and 2-14 seeds play a first round game along with four of the six 16 seeds.

Even in your best case scenario, I don't see how either team pushes themselves up into the top 35, which is roughly what it would take to get a 12 seed. And the likelihood of either team only losing one game before they win the MAC tourney is very small indeed. Neither team has shown they are that consistent. The other problem is that winning a home BB game doesn't do much for the resume, and the road team is not likely to get a team good enough to make an impression on anyone. Very, very few mid-major auto-qualifiers who are not also at-large bid quality get 12 seeds ever. I think you would agree that no MAC team has at-large chances the way this season has gone.

And it's not personal at all. I just think you are wrong here. I also think all of your "ifs" won't come to pass anyway, so its a moot point.
01-27-2013 08:05 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Online
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Ohio vs Murray State seems to make perfect sense. Two teams that had high expectations that are good, but not matching the preseason hype. Would be a game between Caanan and Cooper. Might draw a good tv rating if they pair them.
01-27-2013 09:21 PM
Advertisement

JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
I wonder if there will be someone courtside with the ether to put this event down.
01-28-2013 09:20 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(01-28-2013 09:20 AM)JSF Wrote:  I wonder if there will be someone courtside with the ether to put this event down.

luckily, this is the last year for the event as per an ESPN announcement earlier in the season.
01-28-2013 10:39 AM
Eagle66 Offline
1st String

Posted this on BA too, but here are my predictions on the Match-ups, RPI listed, but I didn't go by straight RPI. I think I avoided all conference match ups and most repeat games. 9 TV Slots and 13 televised games means 4 on ESPN3, but there are no times listed on the TV Schedule for ESPN3.

Friday 2/22
7 PM ESPN2 - Eastern Kentucky (76) @ Akron (69)
9 PM ESPNU - South Dakota St. (59) @ Wichita St. (17) - Nate Wolters gets SD St. the bump since theres only 1 sub 50 road team.

Saturday 2/23
11 AM ESPNU - Iona (106) @ Western Michigan (93)
1 PM ESPNU - North Dakota St. (58) @ Indiana St. (51)
3 PM ESPNU - Detroit (86) @ Murray St. (96)
4 PM ESPN2 - Ohio (97) @ Valparaiso (85)
6 PM ESPN - Creighton (29) @ Belmont (14) - Two highest rated teams in the RPI.
8 PM ESPN2 - Stephen F Austin (77) @ St. Mary's (60) - Someone has to play @ St. Mary's
10 PM ESPN2 - Montana (113) @ 104 - Long Beach St. (104) - Big Sky #1 vs. Big West #1 plus another West Coast game.

ESPN3 Games
Northwestern St. (101) @ Tennessee St. (98)
Evansville (110) @ Oral Roberts (99)
Denver (121) @ Northern Iowa (100)
Canisius (124) @ Davidson (114)
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 10:54 AM by Eagle66.)
01-28-2013 10:53 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

Since KSU is not a factor this season, I haven't paid any attention to the BB potential lineup, but this is surprising. Only three top 50 teams. Wow. And actually, they are all top 30 teams. Big gap then to the rest of a very mediocre field. They pulled the plug a year too late. Creighton-Belmont is the only quality match up out of all of these. There usually are at least 3-4 intriguing games. Wichita St gets dealt a bad hand here.
01-28-2013 11:11 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(01-28-2013 11:11 AM)axeme Wrote:  Wichita St gets dealt a bad hand here.

The field is really feeling the effects of the CAA pullout and Butler jumping to the A10.
01-28-2013 11:41 AM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

(01-27-2013 03:22 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  The match-ups for the final Bracketbusters will be announced tomorrow. Akron and Ohio should get TV games.

The ESPN site says the announcement of the field is on Feb. 4, not today.
01-28-2013 05:44 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

Not what it said yesterday.
01-28-2013 06:18 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Online
1st String

Enough time for 2 more Ohio wins and be pair with Wichita State
01-28-2013 09:01 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-28-2013 09:01 PM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Enough time for 2 more Ohio wins and be pair with Wichita State

IF, and that is a big IF, OU beats EMU and then goes to Akron and wins on Saturday, you would deserve it. Same could be said of the Zips if they win at BG and then beat Ohio.
01-28-2013 09:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.