01-27-2013 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
RE: New OHIO FB Facility (Arms Race)
Highlights and points about the design.

-The building will be 70 feet tall in height making it visible from the home side of the stadium (and also ESPN cameras).

-The architecture is a blend of the expansions of Peden Stadium with the steel painted the color of the tower and the brick and supports of the north endzone addition.

-The storage areas on the blue print are for the Marching 110's equipment so this will be essentially the bands new home.

-A decision was made to bring this facility closer to South Green Dr. and angle it to conserve outdoor practice space (1 and a half practice fields remain).

-Parking around the back of Peden Stadium should be a plus for tailgating as I'm sure that it will be designated one of the premium lots.
01-27-2013 10:12 AM
El Grande Flippero Offline
1st String

I Root For: BG!! SU!!
Congrats...now you'll be where BGSU has been since 1994.... :)
01-27-2013 12:36 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Actually, this isn't even approved yet.

Quote:Ohio University officials are expected to seek approval for the construction of a new athletic multi-purpose facility from the university’s board of trustees in April...

Quote:...[the] project will be presented to the board during its April meeting for approval.

Quote:...if approved by the board of trustees in April...
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 06:01 PM by MidnightBlueGold.)
01-27-2013 01:03 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(01-27-2013 12:36 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  Congrats...now you'll be where BGSU has been since 1994.... :)

And where NIU will be in a few months. Way to lag behind OHIO.
01-27-2013 01:36 PM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
You'll never host a MAC indoor track championship in a facility like that. Zero seating or amenities. Where's all the other stuff like a weight room, an indoor golf practice facility, concession stands, or sports medicine center? How do you expect to hold a spring football game in a place like that? Ohio needs to re-consider their design. It's too single-purposed and doesn't appear to have much forethought put into it.

Akron's field house seats 1,200.

[Image: tnrfvso1zk7wylh4.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 01:53 PM by uakronkid.)
01-27-2013 01:53 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(01-27-2013 01:53 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  You'll never host a MAC indoor track championship in a facility like that. Zero seating or amenities. Where's all the other stuff like a weight room, an indoor golf practice facility, concession stands, or sports medicine center? How do you expect to hold a spring football game in a place like that? Ohio needs to re-consider their design. It's too single-purposed and doesn't appear to have much forethought put into it.

I agree - if you're going to build something like that, you might as well save some money and redesign it like the Miami drawings that are in the other thread. Go all out or make it football-only, going in between isn't very efficient.
01-27-2013 02:07 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
ARMS RACE ???
Half of the MAC is already an ARM and a leg up on Ohio in regards to indoor football facilities...
01-27-2013 05:57 PM
UBBULLS10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UB Bulls
Speak for yourself: UB fans have been waiting a LONG time for an indoor facility. We're probably most behind.
01-27-2013 06:07 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(01-27-2013 02:07 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
(01-27-2013 01:53 PM)uakronkid Wrote:  You'll never host a MAC indoor track championship in a facility like that. Zero seating or amenities. Where's all the other stuff like a weight room, an indoor golf practice facility, concession stands, or sports medicine center? How do you expect to hold a spring football game in a place like that? Ohio needs to re-consider their design. It's too single-purposed and doesn't appear to have much forethought put into it.

I agree - if you're going to build something like that, you might as well save some money and redesign it like the Miami drawings that are in the other thread. Go all out or make it football-only, going in between isn't very efficient.

Title IX makes it very hard to build a building for ONLY one sport. There is a one time waver that a university can apply for but its very rare in cases other than stadiums.
01-27-2013 07:57 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

Ohio built a weight room adjacent to Peden Stadium back in 1999.

I'm not sure what they consider to be the sports medicine center on campus but I know they have rehabilitation pools in the Convo.

Ohio just wanted to meet a few basic needs with this facility. The school isn't reconsidering the design either, shovels are going in the ground in a few months.
01-27-2013 11:18 PM
Advertisement

Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2013 01:03 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  Actually, this isn't even approved yet.

Quote:Ohio University officials are expected to seek approval for the construction of a new athletic multi-purpose facility from the university’s board of trustees in April...

Quote:...[the] project will be presented to the board during its April meeting for approval.

The approval of the student center is all but a formality.

The private funds have been in place for a couple of years now.
01-27-2013 11:21 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(01-27-2013 11:21 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  
(01-27-2013 01:03 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  Actually, this isn't even approved yet.

The approval of the student center is all but a formality.

The private funds have been in place for a couple of years now.

But you don't want to put the carriage in front of the horse...
01-28-2013 12:03 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(01-27-2013 11:18 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Ohio just wanted to meet a few basic needs with this facility. The school isn't reconsidering the design either, shovels are going in the ground in a few months.

That right there is the problem. I thought Ohio wanted to push the limits of the MAC. This is a perfect opportunity to do that, and instead they're just building a ho-hum practice field with a roof.
01-28-2013 12:15 AM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2013 12:15 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(01-27-2013 11:18 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  Ohio just wanted to meet a few basic needs with this facility. The school isn't reconsidering the design either, shovels are going in the ground in a few months.

That right there is the problem. I thought Ohio wanted to push the limits of the MAC. This is a perfect opportunity to do that, and instead they're just building a ho-hum practice field with a roof.

Ohio does at least with the coaching salaries.

Agreed its not on the level of Akron's IPF.
01-28-2013 01:29 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

Wow. That is something special. I love that they added seating inside and a full size track. Wish Toledo would have done something like this.
01-28-2013 02:01 AM
Advertisement

uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2013 02:01 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Wow. That is something special. I love that they added seating inside and a full size track. Wish Toledo would have done something like this.

The decision to add that much seating has paid off over the years. Nearly every weekend there's an event happening inside the fieldhouse. We have hosted both the MAC and Big East indoor track championships, FILA wrestling championships, and just tons of stuff.

It's also nice to be able to play our football spring game indoors and still have a large crowd present.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 02:11 AM by uakronkid.)
01-28-2013 02:11 AM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(01-28-2013 02:11 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 02:01 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Wow. That is something special. I love that they added seating inside and a full size track. Wish Toledo would have done something like this.

The decision to add that much seating has paid off over the years. Nearly every weekend there's an event happening inside the fieldhouse. We have hosted both the MAC and Big East indoor track championships, FILA wrestling championships, and just tons of stuff.

It's also nice to be able to play our football spring game indoors and still have a large crowd present.

Any outdoor pictures of it?
01-28-2013 02:13 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

(01-28-2013 02:13 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

[Image: 4634480416_02dd61eb62.jpg]
01-28-2013 04:10 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(01-28-2013 04:10 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  
(01-28-2013 02:13 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

[Image: 4634480416_02dd61eb62.jpg]

Hands down the nicest IPF in the MAC... Have heard it is on a level with a lot of NFL facilities...
01-28-2013 06:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.