Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Wrestling (OT)
Bookmark and Share
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
MAC Wrestling (OT)
Somewhat off-topic for a Toledo Rocker forum since we no longer have a wrestling team (dammit) - but thought it would be interesting to share how the MAC is doing on a national basis with wrestlers ranked in the top 17. Remember, we added some teams that are not normally thought of as being in the MAC.

Out of 10 weight classes - the MAC has the #1 ranked wrestler in 2 of them (197 and Hvywght)

125 lbs #3 Alan Waters - Missouri (16-0) # 10 Christian Cullinan - CMU (16-5)
133 lbs #6 Nathan McCormick - Missouri (22-2) #7 Scotti Sentes - CMU #12 Levi Wolfsenberger - Northern Iowa
141 lbs #15 Joey Lazur - Norther Iowa
149 lbs #15 Drake Houdashelt - Missouri
157 lbs no one ranked
165 lbs #14 Zach Toal - Missouri (lost a close 4-0 match to Kyle Dake, 3X NCAA champion; going for #4 this year - all in different weight classes (never been done before) # 16 Mark Lewandowski - Buffalo
174 lbs #15 John Cannon - Buffalo #16 Todd Porter - Missouri #17 Cody Waters (Fr) - Ohio U. (note 8 of the top 10 are from the Big Ten in this weight class)
184 lbs #2 Ben Bennett - CMU #6 Ryan Loder - Northern Iowa #9 Mike Larson - Missouri #16 Casy Newburg - Kent State
197 lbs #1 Dustin Kilgore - Kent State (defending NCAA champ from 2011) (29-0 with 14 pins, 2 tech falls, 7 major decisions) This guy is a BEAST ; #11 Brent Haynes - Missouri (22-4)
Hvywght #1 Dom Bradley - Missouri (24-0) #6 Jarrod Trice - CMU (14-2) - lost 3-1 to Bradley and 3-2 to Oregon U. wrestler #16 Jeremy Johnson - Ohio U.

The Big Ten is the most dominant conference by far. Out of 120 wrestlers on Big Ten teams, 72 are ranked in the top 20. There is not a weight class where they have fewer than 6 wrestlers ranked in the top 20 and the #1 at 5 weight classes - and the #2 at 8 weight classes. The SEC may be the football conference, but the MAC would rip them apart on the mats....
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 11:20 AM by MotoRocket.)
01-26-2013 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
RE: MAC Wrestling (OT)
(01-26-2013 10:49 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Somewhat off-topic for a Toledo Rocker forum since we no longer have a wrestling team (dammit) - but thought it would be interesting to share how the MAC is doing on a national basis with wrestlers ranked in the top 16. Remember, we added some teams that are not normally thought of as being in the MAC.

125 lbs

I believe Missouri is in the MAC for wrestling...

And I agree that mens wrestling is one sport that should have survided the athletic cuts back in the day... The university and the Toledo area(especially Bedford, Clay, and Rogers HS) have such a rich tradition in that sport... Dick Torio is probably still fuming over that decision...
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 11:10 AM by FMRocket.)
01-26-2013 11:07 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
(01-26-2013 11:07 AM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(01-26-2013 10:49 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  Somewhat off-topic for a Toledo Rocker forum since we no longer have a wrestling team (dammit) - but thought it would be interesting to share how the MAC is doing on a national basis with wrestlers ranked in the top 16. Remember, we added some teams that are not normally thought of as being in the MAC.

125 lbs

And I agree that mens wrestling is one sport that should have survided the athletic cuts back in the day... The university and the Toledo area(especially Bedford, Clay, and Rogers HS) have such a rich tradition in that sport... Dick Torio is probably still fuming over that decision...

Clay has recent success but do they have "tradition?" Waite was ranked as high as 6th in DI not so long ago, before it was dropped by TPS as a varsity sport. I see pictures on the wall in the Field House that seem to indicate a "tradition?" I think MAYBE Clay's "tradition" relocated from East Toledo, not just Waite?

I mean, nothing against the smooters but how long has that "tradition" been in place?
01-26-2013 11:17 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(01-26-2013 11:17 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  

125 lbs

Clay has recent success but do they have "tradition?" Waite was ranked as high as 6th in DI not so long ago, before it was dropped by TPS as a varsity sport. I see pictures on the wall in the Field House that seem to indicate a "tradition?" I think MAYBE Clay's "tradition" relocated from East Toledo, not just Waite?

I mean, nothing against the smooters but how long has that "tradition" been in place?

You are right, Waite definitely has had the tradition thing going for it in wrestling... I belive Mark Kerr, who went on to excel at Syracuse University hailed from Waite HS...
01-26-2013 11:35 AM
owen Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ham sandwich
Did Northern Illinois drop wrestling? No ranked wrestlers?
Michigan schools not well represented here either.
01-26-2013 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUpride Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Huskies
(01-26-2013 12:45 PM)owen Wrote:  Did Northern Illinois drop wrestling? No ranked wrestlers?
NIU did not drop wrestling, however Toledo who did still might be able to beat us this year.

Kilgore = BEAST
01-26-2013 02:31 PM
Rocketime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
01-26-2013 04:30 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-26-2013 11:17 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  

125 lbs

What the hell is a smooter?

When I was in high school, Waite sucked. Clay was dominate - except for Bedford and Stritch, but neither of them could beat us in a dual match. We won every dual meet we were in and beat Bedford on their mat. We did not have a good tournament team and lost to Bedford by 1 point in the GLL/NLL crossover for the league championship - and to Stritch at the NIT. Stritch also "confiscated" our top wrestling talent at that time. (Paul Luther, Jimmy Reeves, Ray Wilson, and Dan Reardon) Many E. Toledo wrestlers also ended up at Stritch. St Francis was very good, but we never wrestled a dual with them. Waite's team success came later on.

BTW- Amenta and Cloyne are from Oregon and I know Amenta went to Fassett (not sure about Cloyne). They wrestled for Amenta's dad at Waite even though they lived in Oregon. Amenta wanted to transfer back to Oregon to wrestle with his buddies. Cloyne also came back and they brought Conine with them - who was from East Toledo. Don't know of any others that have moved over to Clay. The Hennemans are from the Bowsher. TCC seemed to make out the best with the TPS dropping wrestling.

The East Toledo Wrestling Club turned out dozens of top quality wrestlers - and some that would have gone to Waite went elsewhere (Robinson to St Ig's) and Henderson to TCC, etc. Many were from Oregon and went to Clay. Felipe Martinez got his start at that club - but he lived in Genoa. His mom went to Waite.

I think it is better to say that East Toledo and Oregon have had numerous top notch wrestlers. Some of the best never wrestled for either school though.

BTW - my comment about the MAC destroying the SEC in wrestling was in jest. The SEC does sponsor a wrestling league - which is the primary reason why Missouri ended up in the MAC.
01-26-2013 06:21 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
I hoped the Intercollegiate Varsity Mudwrestling would be brought
back ala "Stripes".
01-26-2013 06:24 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-26-2013 12:45 PM)owen Wrote:  Did Northern Illinois drop wrestling? No ranked wrestlers?

Central Michigan has 2 guys ranked pretty high. Sentes is #6/ or #7 at 133 and Ben Bennett is #2 at 174. They have another guy Cullinan ranked at #10 at 125.

EMU - they have had some pretty decent guys in the past, but have dropped off.

Not even sure if Western Michigan has wrestling. I don't think so.

Missouri is ranked 5th and CMU is 12th in the team rankings. Kent State is 19th and Northern Iowa is 26th. BTW - Michigan is ranked 30th and the once dominant Iowa State team is ranked 42nd.
01-26-2013 06:33 PM
tayle's mullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
WMU opted to have a winter sport that actually brings in revenue and draws 4,000+ per game. It's called ice hockey and the Broncos are currently the No. 6 team in the nation.
01-29-2013 06:16 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-29-2013 06:16 PM)tayles mullet Wrote:  WMU opted to have a winter sport that actually brings in revenue and draws 4,000+ per game. It's called ice hockey and the Broncos are currently the No. 6 team in the nation.

Wow - Western draws as many for ice hockey as football. Need to also consider that wrestling was not drawing at Western because they sucked at it. Also need to tally up the costs for ice hockey and compare that to the revenues generated - along with the cost of constructing and maintaining an ice arena. Now compare that to the schools where wrestling matters and can draw over 10K for a home match (Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State) and the costs are just a fraction of what they are for ice hockey. Hell, Penn State pays their wrestling coach over $1M/ year.

BTW - did not draw so well against Bemidji State in Kalmazoo....
01-29-2013 09:22 PM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

A story from the conference website, dated January 31st. Three MAC teams are in the Top 20.

http://www.mac-sports.com/tabid/969/Arti...op-20.aspx
02-01-2013 04:22 AM
Advertisement

cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

Missouri wins the MAC wrestling title.

http://www.mac-sports.com/tabid/969/Arti...nship.aspx
03-11-2013 07:44 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Missouri?!? MISSOURI?!? WTF?
03-11-2013 07:46 AM
RocketFan80 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo!
(03-11-2013 07:46 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  Missouri?!? MISSOURI?!? WTF?

Yep, Missouri's wrestling is in the MAC, just like Evansville's men's swimming, Chicago State's men's tennis, and the men's soccer teams from FAU and West Virginia.
03-11-2013 12:40 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(03-11-2013 12:40 PM)RocketFan80 Wrote:  
(03-11-2013 07:46 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  Missouri?!? MISSOURI?!? WTF?

Yep, Missouri's wrestling is in the MAC, just like Evansville's men's swimming, Chicago State's men's tennis, and the men's soccer teams from FAU and West Virginia.

So when is the MAC going to get Missouri & WVU to move all their sports to the MAC? 02-13-banana
03-11-2013 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.