Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Phillip Fulmer as a head coaching candidate?
Bookmark and Share
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
Phillip Fulmer as a head coaching candidate?
01-24-2013 10:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

RE: Phillip Fulmer as a head coaching candidate?
Wow! Hey, I'd be all for it! I wonder if Noland and Sander will reach out to him? He hasn't been coaching for the past few years, but he would be a good one to the program up and running. He'd likely have 2-3 years to assemble his staff and recruit. I love his class!
01-24-2013 10:28 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
This would put ETSU football on the map and get butts in the seats initially.
01-24-2013 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

I have my doubts he would take the job...but if he took it, it would be AWESOME!!! He should definitely be asked and pursued. 04-rock04-cheers02-13-bananaCOGS05-stirthepot
01-24-2013 10:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-24-2013 10:37 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  This would put ETSU football on the map and get butts in the seats initially.

it would also probably give us the best chance to win immediately with his recruiting ties
01-24-2013 10:40 PM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-24-2013 10:40 PM)TheShadow Wrote:  I have my doubts he would take the job...but if he took it, it would be AWESOME!!! He should definitely be asked and pursued. 04-rock04-cheers02-13-bananaCOGS05-stirthepot

well he basically just came out and said he is interested...that it would have to be a unique situation.
1.) he would be staying in East TN
2.) he would have time to assemble his staff and recruit
3.) he can leave ETSU on his own terms and not be pushed out like he was at UT
01-24-2013 11:17 PM
Advertisement

etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
It would essentially be like Larry Coker at UTSA,or Bill Curry at Georgia State. So when the time comes to get a new coach it's done right. Plus it's a known-name coach,and he has recruiting ties so it could very promising for the future.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 12:05 AM by etsuandpurdue3.)
01-24-2013 11:56 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I think Coach Fulmer would be wonderful! I hope it is pursued. What a great start to a new program that would make.
01-25-2013 12:29 AM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-25-2013 12:29 AM)bucfan81 Wrote:  I think Coach Fulmer would be wonderful! I hope it is pursued. What a great start to a new program that would make.

not to mention the attendance he would draw at the games...even some Vols fans would come
01-25-2013 12:52 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

This would be one of the biggest moments of ETSU athletics if he were to be hired as coach. For all of the issues that we have with UT fans around here, this would be the solution. Not to mention he would be a much better recruiter than anyone else possibly could be, and anyone else in the conference that we are in for sure (except maybe Appy State?). Plus, I think the buzz this would create and the additional income it would bring in would justify paying him more than any other candidate. If I were Noland, I would be in his living room tomorrow if I havent been already.
01-25-2013 06:20 AM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I agree with everyone's comments, it would create a HUGE buzz (locally and nationally), potentially sell out some games, and be a massive fundraising boost. However, I just don't see this happening. I am all for it and hope ETSU would do everything possible to help make it happen, I just don't see Fulmer taking the risk (or the burden).
01-25-2013 07:01 AM
Advertisement

ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

I think it's interesting that he let this much out in an interview, I shouldn't be given he always says the same type of thing about other jobs that open up. Trey does have a good history with UT and Fulmer, so it's good to see Trey put that question out to him.

UT wanted Gerald for 2003, he would have had two years of eligibility left. Gerald wanted to stay for the last year and then transfer out. We only had a handful of guys who were poached prior to the 2003 including Jackson, who went on to Clemson.

IF ETSU were to go with "splash"... there are definite advantages but I would hope that the second hire would be a stable, experienced FCS/IAA level coach as the Associate HC/Head Coach-in-Waiting to maintain stability and administer the program. I really doubt Fulmer would be on the sidelines for a second year, he'd be on to another "challenge." This also doesn't need to be a retirement home for an old ball coach who can't get another job, I say that as a Fulmer fan and someone who thinks UT screwed up. There's been enough of that going on at ETSU.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 08:29 AM by ReturnOfMommaBear.)
01-25-2013 08:14 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I think it's a stretch but I would certainly welcome Fat Phil.
01-25-2013 09:55 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Isn't it interesting that the same apologists for David Mullins who pointed to his age (66) as the reason for his supposed retirement, not his job performance, are now clamoring for a coach who will be 66 at the earliest date ETSU could have football?

That said, sure, if Phil Fulmer would come here and be committed to the program to stay not for a year but for a real coaching tenure (five years minimum) I think it would be a coup.

Every time I ask "Could you pay him?" I wonder if there wouldn't be some prominent potential booster who wouldn't bankroll Fulmer's return to coaching along with ETSU football.

Then again, if there was such a booster, you get the feeling he would have bankrolled Fulmer's return to the Vols last December.

And do you really want to be so beholden to such a booster?
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 10:40 AM by PittsburghBucs.)
01-25-2013 10:39 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-25-2013 10:39 AM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Isn't it interesting that the same apologists for David Mullins who pointed to his age (66) as the reason for his supposed retirement, not his job performance, are now clamoring for a coach who will be 66 at the earliest date ETSU could have football?

That said, sure, if Phil Fulmer would come here and be committed to the program to stay not for a year but for a real coaching tenure (five years minimum) I think it would be a coup.

Every time I ask "Could you pay him?" I wonder if there wouldn't be some prominent potential booster who wouldn't bankroll Fulmer's return to coaching along with ETSU football.

Then again, if there was such a booster, you get the feeling he would have bankrolled Fulmer's return to the Vols last December.

And do you really want to be so beholden to such a booster?

No I don't get that feeling at all. the definitions of a deep pocket booster at ETSU and at UT are two totally different things. Someone who might be be a big shot at ETSU certainly wouldn't be considered that at UT for the same amount of money. Big Jim Haslam is the MAN when it comes to UT boosters, everybody else outside that family is a distant second. Not saying Fulmer is coming to ETSU but as I have said before he would be great to get the program off and running.
01-25-2013 10:50 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Personally I don't think Fulmer will come to ETSU as a coach, I would like to see it but I doubt it. I could see ETSU using Fulmer as KSU is using Vince Dooley, a consultant. You could still use his name to generate buzz and help the program raise money but he wouldn't have to commit to the day in and day out coaching grind and keep his other options open, working with ESPN from time to time or another coaching job. That type of help seems more inline with his comments then actually coaching does.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 11:02 AM by RodShaw2.)
01-25-2013 11:00 AM
Advertisement

etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

I think he'd do it for less money because of his ties to the region and the support he has around here...it would be more about principle than $$. With that being said, even less money for him will be a lot for ETSU. Would be a solid move though.
01-25-2013 11:04 AM
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

(01-25-2013 11:04 AM)etsudolfan Wrote:  I think he'd do it for less money because of his ties to the region and the support he has around here...it would be more about principle than $$. With that being said, even less money for him will be a lot for ETSU. Would be a solid move though.

He'd do it for the "normal" salary of an FCS coach because he's not worried about his salary. It's having the title of "Head Coach" beside your name to counts to most of these guys. That's how you get guys to take pay cuts from BCS-level assistant coach salaries to take lower FBS Head jobs.

People might want to keep watching this whole "UT Circle" thing that keeps popping up. Football Foundation meets with the Governor, ETSU hires a UT runner-up and graduate, UT donors (Ball and Powell) also large donors at ETSU, Fulmer says he's interested in ETSU football... it's the circle of life. If we pull a new AD from the UT ranks, it will be the UT-Northeast Annex. :discoaintdead: If you can't beat 'em, go hire all their guys and become more like them.

I think watching Mr. Ball would be a great thing to do, very deep pockets and not as connected to UT as he used to be. Murray has done an excellent job in the "friendraising" with Mr. Ball and other local donors who are ready to step up and help, which probably includes writing the check to get out of the ASun.
01-25-2013 11:23 AM
BartowZone Offline
2nd String

I sense a bit of the ETSU inferiority complex in this thread. Why is it such a stretch that Phil would want to come here and start a program. He has said he wants to coach (check), he wants a unique situation (check), wants to stay in the area (check). It's not like he is being bombarded with offers for bigger positions. I feel like it is a perfect situation for him and would be a HUGE hire for a start up football program. I can think of no better way for the new administration to prove that they are serious about ETSU football than to hire a big name like Fulmer.

Which legacy would you rather have: The guy that got ran out of Knoxville, or the guy who put ETSU football on the map.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 12:04 PM by BartowZone.)
01-25-2013 12:03 PM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
(01-25-2013 12:03 PM)BartowZone Wrote:  I sense a bit of the ETSU inferiority complex in this thread. Why is it such a stretch that Phil would want to come here and start a program. He has said he wants to coach (check), he wants a unique situation (check), wants to stay in the area (check). It's not like he is being bombarded with offers for bigger positions. I feel like it is a perfect situation for him and would be a HUGE hire for a start up football program. I can think of no better way for the new administration to prove that they are serious about ETSU football than to hire a big name like Fulmer.

+1

dont think it cant happen...
01-25-2013 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.