Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Should Invite ............................
Bookmark and Share
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
Sun Belt Should Invite ............................
Idaho - Football only
New Mexico State - All sports

1. Pickup two existing FBS programs instead of FCS move ups.
2. Football only for Idaho eliminates costly travel to far west for non-football sports.
3. New Mexico State brings a lot to the table for basketball. Would currently be highest ranked Belt team. Would lead the Belt in basketball attendance.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 09:44 AM by MG61.)
01-24-2013 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
RE: Sun Belt Should Invite ............................
Yeah, a CUSA member sure wouldn't want a strong sun belt. Idaho and NMSU are perfect additions from a CUSA perspective.
01-24-2013 09:50 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(01-24-2013 09:44 AM)MG61 Wrote:  Idaho - Football only
2. Football only for Idaho eliminates costly travel to far west for non-football sports.
3. New Mexico State brings a lot to the table for basketball. Would currently be highest ranked Belt team. Would lead the Belt in basketball attendance.
I think NMSU already has a foot in the door (already FBS, prior member left in good standing, basically in W. Texas, solid hoops, easy W in football (jk), etc.).

Idaho for football only has some merit but really has little in common with the Sun Belt. May get an invite as a favor to them, similar to what we did for Denver all those years.

Then you can add two FCS's to round out the confernce.
01-24-2013 09:51 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: Sun Belt Should Invite ............................

New Mexico State has huge issues internally. Idaho...never again.

Pull up FCS who at least have a chance to be something.
01-24-2013 09:56 AM
WarhawkReport Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: special teams
Just please, no Jacksonville St.
01-24-2013 10:02 AM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy

Both are way outside the SunBelt footprint.

Only as a last resort to keep the conference on life support should these two be added and the SunBelt is not on life support at this time like so poster think.
01-24-2013 10:05 AM
Advertisement

YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Texas State

No. We are a southeastern based league, not the big east
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 10:12 AM by YouCanUseaMint.)
01-24-2013 10:11 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I am more concerned about how strong the conference is on the field and in the stands than I am about whether someone is currently FBS. In the Sun Belt's young life we have seen Troy, FIU, FAU, WKU and USA move up from FCS. All but USA (one year) have been in postseason play and Troy was dominant for some time. NMSU has a lot of upside with their overall program and it really isn't any further for most of our programs than it was to travel to the FL schools.

I think it is a mistake to only add one or two but that is just me.
01-24-2013 10:13 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(01-24-2013 10:11 AM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  

Do you want to go back to the Southland?
01-24-2013 10:13 AM
YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

(01-24-2013 10:13 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  

What are you talking about? Just because a school is currently FCS does not mean they'll suck for generations to come.. based on history NMSU will suck for generations to come. App State and Georgia Southern make way more sense. And yes, I'll take Liberty or even Lamar before I take Idaho.
01-24-2013 10:19 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

Those teams would actually fit CUSA's footprint better than ours.
01-24-2013 10:32 AM
Advertisement

CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
If no other schools leave the SBC.......

Oral Roberts

New Mexico State

-Move ASU/UALR to eastern division
-Bring in 2 quality basketball programs
-Bring in 9th football member to ease scheduling

Do nothing else until we lose more schools.
01-24-2013 10:38 AM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
Look. Another original "We Should Add" thread.

Well, at least it's not GSU and App State fans talking about how great they are this time.
01-24-2013 10:49 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-24-2013 10:19 AM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  

What are you talking about? Just because a school is currently FCS does not mean they'll suck for generations to come.. based on history NMSU will suck for generations to come. App State and Georgia Southern make way more sense. And yes, I'll take Liberty or even Lamar before I take Idaho.

Okay, I can understand that but for us returning to a more modern version of the SLC does not appeal to our fan base. By no means am I suggesting taking Idaho, but give me NMSU all day over freaken Lamar or any other SLC program at this time.
01-24-2013 10:59 AM
YouCanUseaMint Offline
2nd String

(01-24-2013 10:59 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Okay, I can understand that but for us returning to a more modern version of the SLC does not appeal to our fan base. By no means am I suggesting taking Idaho, but give me NMSU all day over freaken Lamar or any other SLC program at this time.

Let me put it this way:

App State
GaSO
NMSU
Liberty
Jax State (Alabama)
Lamar
SHSU
Idaho
01-24-2013 11:03 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-24-2013 11:03 AM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 10:59 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 10:11 AM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  No. We are a southeastern based league, not the big east

Let me put it this way:

App State
GaSO
NMSU
Liberty
Jax State (Alabama)
Lamar
SHSU
Idaho

Then hell, you should have stayed in the SLC because I see very little difference. 03-lmfao
01-24-2013 11:05 AM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Sounds like going under is a better option than SLC.
01-24-2013 11:08 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
The Sun Belt should invite....NO ONE at this point. In the past, I was a proponent of adding Ga Southern and Appy immediately. I still advocate their inclusion but I'd just wait to see how many teams we will need or if CUSA gets raided so badly the two conferences simply merge.

Here's why its safe for the Sun Belt to sit at 8 football/10 basketball teams for the next couple of weeks.
1) No one is taking Ga Southern but us. Its doubtful anyone will be taking Appy at this point either.
2) We're likely to lose 1 and probably 2 more teams. Lets see who we have left to build the conference around before extending bids
3) There are any number of schools that are interested in moving to the Sun Belt, regardless of the raiding by other conferences, such as Ga Southern, Appy, NMSU, Jax State, Liberty. JMU would probably be interested as well. We aren't in a WAC situation. And its very unlikely we will be.
4) Lets see how conference BCS sharing gets finalized before expanding. If the BCS formula and other sharing mechanisms are done by conference, rather than by individual teams, it may make sense to stay smaller.

Again, I think Appy and Ga Southern will be in the Sun Belt soon. I just don't see the need to run around desperately adding teams until we know what holes we are looking to fill. Or if there may be an advantage to staying small.

We all know that for geographical, cultural, and program fit, Ga Southern and Appy are the top two, but we don't need to jump the gun right now. As far as the others go, lets wait to see what we need and if any of the others can contribute to the Belt before going crazy.

What I absolutely dont want to happen is.

1) Adding teams to create partners for existing teams unless the sponsoring team makes a committment (and binds it to an enforceable contract) to stay in the conference so long as its partner does. I'd love to see another team from the West, but I don't want to go down that NMSU, Idaho, Denver, Utah State route again. If say, Texas State wants NMSU in the conference, great...But Texas State should have to up their committment to the Belt in order to sponsor them.

2) Adding teams without a massive (and probably unmatched by existing conference members) exit fee for those new teams.

3) Adding more basketball teams. Especially those not in the middle of our footprint.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2013 11:22 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
01-24-2013 11:11 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

If you don't add some by this summer then you are forced to take NMSU, Idaho or both if we lose more teams. I can't imagine that we are anywhere near being finished with realignment and it will affect the SBC.

Whether you are a fan of a team that is likely to move on in the future or not, we owe it to the league to make sure it continues for those that remain.

Also, how can any fan of FIU, FAU, WKU, USA or Troy talk down to FCS programs who want to move up? It seems like yesterday that I watched ASU hang 66 on FIU as a fresh FBS program.

I know that there is not any separation between teams currently in the MAC, SBC or CUSA but I also know that with an increase in scholarships and a little time there are FCS programs that can compete in any of those three conferences.
01-24-2013 11:43 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(01-24-2013 11:43 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  It seems like yesterday that I watched ASU hang 66 on FIU as a fresh FBS program.

Which makes it all the more painful to watch them leave us behind. Let's be completely honest about that.
01-24-2013 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.