UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB-Troy Every Other Year After 2014?
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation UAB-Troy Every Other Year After 2014?
http://trojanbeat.wordpress.com/2013/01/.../#more-560

On UAB series (expires in 2014) – Hartwell said the series is being looked at by the powers that be and if it continues past 2014 it could be on an every other year basis. Hartwell said it is obviously a great regional contest and both schools will sit down to see what option best serves both schools.
01-22-2013 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB-Troy Every Other Year After 2014?
Good.
01-22-2013 10:49 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Bad, unless another regional team (Memphis/USA?) is every other year.

I think it's good for both programs. 2 of our Top 8 most attended games are Troy. Easy road trip.
01-23-2013 12:10 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
I hope UAB/Troy becomes an annual game. Both schools benefit and the fans benefit.
01-23-2013 12:16 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I hate playing Troy. It may be an easy trip to Troy, but it is still a trip to Troy. Their fans are classless and they root for Troy.
01-23-2013 12:25 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

Some of you really need to get over yourselves. You are really sounding like the bammers.

Troys a bunch of sheep lovers
They are classless
We gain nothing playing them

Actually, its a good rivalry game, they bring a good crowd, and its a fun game to watch in general. I hope we can keep an everyother year game if not every year.
01-23-2013 12:55 AM
Advertisement

UABFRENCHY Online
Heisman

Donators
we dont need to play them every year , we need to beat them every year ....simple
01-23-2013 07:03 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-23-2013 12:55 AM)rook360 Wrote:  Some of you really need to get over yourselves. You are really sounding like the bammers.

They are classless

Actually, its a good rivalry game, they bring a good crowd, and its a fun game to watch in general. I hope we can keep an everyother year game if not every year.

Ever made the trip to Pike County?

I come by my opinions of Troy honestly.
01-23-2013 07:41 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I guess this is the quarterly - should we play them - thread.
01-23-2013 07:59 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I will take a slightly different approach to these games.

In football until we prove we can average 25K + a game we need to keep playing them as they need to keep playing us. UAB needs butts in seats any way you slice it.

In basketball there is no way on God's Green earth we should be playing them home and home. Two for one, yes. Same goes with every other state school outside of the SEC except South Alabama. I would rather see us drop Troy in basketball and replace them with two for ones with JSU, Samford, or Ala. State or A&M. If we have to play a state school home and home long term just ink South Alabama.

Do I like playing them? No. Their fans are pretty vial and nasty but it puts butts in seats and that is what UAB desperately needs over the next few years.
01-23-2013 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Drew says "sounds like McGee wanted it but maybe the administrators want to try new things".

In the last decade or so Miss. State, Troy, and FAU have been the only FBS teams we have hosted OOC. Maybe they are trying to get deals with lower level teams like Wake Forest, Duke, etc.

Or maybe we just need the cash that comes from playing two money games per year.
01-23-2013 09:30 AM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

When UAB is in the same conference as Troy, we won't have a choice.
01-23-2013 10:12 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-23-2013 10:12 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  When UAB is in the same conference as Troy, we won't have a choice.

Heh.

You realize, that if we're the CUSA misfit toys, that Troy is the Belt's misfit toys, right?
01-23-2013 10:25 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
If we're not going to play Troy, we need to play someone else that will get us 25,000 or more. I agree with AB in that regard. It doesn't help to schedule OOC home games that don't draw well.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 11:14 AM by FNblazer.)
01-23-2013 11:14 AM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(01-23-2013 12:55 AM)rook360 Wrote:  Some of you really need to get over yourselves. You are really sounding like the bammers.

They are classless

They are sheep lovers and they are classless but we do gain by playing them. It should also be pointed out that sheep are not the only livestock abused in Pike County
01-23-2013 11:53 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

They are classless

I never said UAB is too good to play them, or we dint gain anything from them. I never said they were sheep lovers. I'm sure they don't love the sheep, but it's the best they can do.

I said I don't like the game and would prefer we didn't play them. You can throw the very tired line "act like a bammer" if you wish, but if I don't enjoy the game, I say it, and there is nothing "bammer" about it.
01-23-2013 02:38 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
UAB wants to play instate football and basketball teams. The list of desirable (and realistic) D1 prospects is not long. Troy seems at this point in time, to be the most desirable of the lot. They have played BCS teams and put players into the NFL so they are a known quantity outside this state. South Alabama hopes one day to be able to match Troy in both of those, but right now they can't. Until UAB can consistently win at a rate >50%, we need all the outside help we can get.
01-23-2013 03:42 PM
HSV_BLAZER Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #fireraywatts
(01-23-2013 10:12 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  When UAB is in the same conference as Troy, we won't have a choice.

4 Sun Belt schools, 2 WAC schools, and 2 FCS callups have all been added to C-USA without Troy even getting a mention. I don't think Troy is leaving the Belt unless it disbands.
01-25-2013 12:08 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
C-USA wants nothing to do with T-Roy.
01-25-2013 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Whereas the local sports media guys & former local sports media guys thinks CUSA should be made up of half Alabama teams.
01-25-2013 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.