Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Big East name
Bookmark and Share
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
The Big East name
My hope is that your universities keep the name "Big East". It is your legacy & not that reconstituted CUSA mess. I hope we can continue a relationship with many of you. Times change but memories last forever...
01-22-2013 09:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: The Big East name
(01-22-2013 09:53 PM)texasorange Wrote:  My hope is that your universities keep the name "Big East". It is your legacy & not that reconstituted CUSA mess. I hope we can continue a relationship with many of you. Times change but memories last forever...

I see you guys playing 2 every year (GTown & SJU) and 2 on a rotating basis (Nova & Prov). Though I never see you guys playing Seton Hall.
01-22-2013 10:28 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

(01-22-2013 10:28 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 09:53 PM)texasorange Wrote:  My hope is that your universities keep the name "Big East". It is your legacy & not that reconstituted CUSA mess. I hope we can continue a relationship with many of you. Times change but memories last forever...

I see you guys playing 2 every year (GTown & SJU) and 2 on a rotating basis (Nova & Prov). Though I never see you guys playing Seton Hall.

I would miss the Villanova yearly match ups. I wish you guys the very best.
01-22-2013 11:15 PM
Burrito Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Hoyas
Thanks. I hope we keep the "Big East" name too. I'm going to miss our rivalries with Syracuse, UConn, Pitt and more recently Louisville, Cincinnati and Notre Dame. Watching Big East basketball has been a blast the past 6-7 years (I wasn't paying much attention during the Esherick years). I'm optimistic that this new Bball league will be successful.
01-23-2013 12:05 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: RE: The Big East name

I'm not sure Syracuse plays Providence often. I'd bet that rotation looks like Villanova 4 years on 2 years off. Providence will regularly be featured in the 2 years off and I bet Seton Hall will occasionally get a game as well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
01-23-2013 08:00 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-23-2013 08:00 AM)brista21 Wrote:  

I'm not sure Syracuse plays Providence often. I'd bet that rotation looks like Villanova 4 years on 2 years off. Providence will regularly be featured in the 2 years off and I bet Seton Hall will occasionally get a game as well.

I don't think they will play providence often either but more often than seton hall.
01-23-2013 08:17 AM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
I think the Catholic schools have more rights to the name, but I'd still prefer the name Premier East Conference.
01-23-2013 09:07 AM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
It should stay with the C7. the Big East is, and always was, a basketball conference, and there's only 1 Big East school in the football conference once the C7 leaves.

I think it would work best for the football schools to distance themselves from the BE name because it doesn't have good football connotations.
01-24-2013 03:46 PM
FriarTuck420 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Providence
(01-23-2013 08:17 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

I don't think they will play providence often either but more often than seton hall.

I'm confident the Cuse and Providence will continue a yearly rivalry. Syracuse packs the dunk when they come to town. And we ship'em pretty good when we play at that god awful dome.
01-24-2013 04:34 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-24-2013 04:34 PM)FriarTuck420 Wrote:  

I'm confident the Cuse and Providence will continue a yearly rivalry. Syracuse packs the dunk when they come to town. And we ship'em pretty good when we play at that god awful dome.

They clearly are behind GTown and SJU on Cuse's priority list. I don;t think the Orange care much about packing the dunk.
01-24-2013 08:30 PM
billyjack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Providence
(01-24-2013 08:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 10:28 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  I see you guys playing 2 every year (GTown & SJU) and 2 on a rotating basis (Nova & Prov). Though I never see you guys playing Seton Hall.

They clearly are behind GTown and SJU on Cuse's priority list. I don;t think the Orange care much about packing the dunk.

It all depends on how much Boeheim misses his favorite Providence restaurants.
01-25-2013 12:38 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-25-2013 12:38 AM)billyjack Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 08:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(01-23-2013 08:00 AM)brista21 Wrote:  I'm not sure Syracuse plays Providence often. I'd bet that rotation looks like Villanova 4 years on 2 years off. Providence will regularly be featured in the 2 years off and I bet Seton Hall will occasionally get a game as well.

It all depends on how much Boeheim misses his favorite Providence restaurants.

Boeheim won't be there for much longer.
01-25-2013 08:19 AM
texasorange Offline
1st String

Georgetown, Villanova & St. John's are the three I would think Syracuse would want to keep a relationship the most. And Boeheim isn't retiring any time soon. He's too healthy and loves coaching.
01-27-2013 08:38 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(01-27-2013 08:38 PM)texasorange Wrote:  Georgetown, Villanova & St. John's are the three I would think Syracuse would want to keep a relationship the most. And Boeheim isn't retiring any time soon. He's too healthy and loves coaching.

id have to agree. those 3 draw the crowds to the dome. the pc/cuse series is pretty one sided in terms of syracuse wins.
01-27-2013 08:52 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-27-2013 08:38 PM)texasorange Wrote:  Georgetown, Villanova & St. John's are the three I would think Syracuse would want to keep a relationship the most. And Boeheim isn't retiring any time soon. He's too healthy and loves coaching.

He's 68, i doubt heres there another decade. So it's just a few years left.
01-27-2013 09:09 PM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I blame Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova for not having Penn State in the league. If they would have been in the conference, none of this mess would be happening right now.
01-27-2013 09:38 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-27-2013 09:38 PM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  I blame Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova for not having Penn State in the league. If they would have been in the conference, none of this mess would be happening right now.

I think you're a little fuzzy on the history. Also who says PSU stays themselves? Maybe they take off with Miami in '04.
01-27-2013 10:16 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
(01-27-2013 09:38 PM)David Krysakowski Wrote:  I blame Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova for not having Penn State in the league. If they would have been in the conference, none of this mess would be happening right now.

How would having Penn State help anything? The fault line would have still existed between the football schools and the basketball schools?

Honestly I'm glad our conference wasn't associated with Penn State, they had the biggest sports scandal in NCAA history. I mean after that story, all the cheating in the world doesn't seem like a big deal, when you get kids getting molested and everyone turning a blind eye.
01-27-2013 10:16 PM
College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
(01-27-2013 10:16 PM)nathanhm Wrote:  How would having Penn State help anything? The fault line would have still existed between the football schools and the basketball schools?

Honestly I'm glad our conference wasn't associated with Penn State, they had the biggest sports scandal in NCAA history. I mean after that story, all the cheating in the world doesn't seem like a big deal, when you get kids getting molested and everyone turning a blind eye.

I don't know; the Baylor scandal was equally bad. For those who don't remember the Baylor scandal that well:

"In the early 2000s Baylor University's men's basketball program was investigated and punished for numerous NCAA violations. The scandal broke out after the 2003 murder of men's basketball player Patrick Dennehy. His teammate, Carlton Dotson pled guilty to the murder and was sentenced to a 35-year prison term.

Shortly after Dennehy's disappearance, the school and the NCAA began investigations into multiple allegations, ranging from drug use among players to improper payments to players by the coaching staff."
01-27-2013 11:17 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
Sounds like Aresco wants to keep the Big East name and add another member (Tulsa?). This might be posturing so he can jack up the price the BE7 schools have to pay for the name. Can't imagine MSG wanting to host his Big East teams for their conference tournament.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/col...story.html
01-28-2013 10:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.