Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newest Info
Bookmark and Share
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wyoming/LSU
Newest Info
Through the whole Boise St/San Diego St thing, the MWC finally decided to get aggressive in the expansion role instead of being reactive.

UTEP would have been the school to take the 12th spot if SDSU did not. The plan was to go to 14 schools at the minimum with 16 being the idea number. That's when they began to reach out to other schools.

You can read my other posts if you haven't already to see what they were doing.

Now as a conference they are going to take a step back, as the schools they are targeting aren't ready to move over. Obviously UTEP would, but that wouldn't help them any TV money wise, so they would need someone to join with them that would help their TV contract.

As far as BYU goes, they are still talking, alot, but this whole thing depends on ESPN and CBS. If BYU gets to keep their ESPN deal, they will re-join. BYU and the MWC basically have the framework on a deal done, now its getting ESPN on board as well. Seems easy, but this also includes rights to other MWC games as well.

I want to make sure I'm clear on this, even though BYU and MWC have the framework taken care of on a deal, that doesn't mean its going to be completed soon. There are things in BYU's contract with ESPN that would have to be adjusted to make it fit in the MWC's contract. I've been told that this deal can me made at anytime, but it could also take a while as well. My Fresno source absolutely believes we will hear something by the end of the month, but my other sources here in Wyoming and Colorado don't think its happening anytime soon.

Houston - This is the one they really want, but unless BYU joins and does it soon, this is looking like it won't happen. The only way they are going to get the Cougars is to pull them in within the next month.

SMU - They have turned down overtures from the MWC, and now I'm being told they are completely off the table.

Tulsa - Interest from both sides. Tulsa would prefer to be with their old C-USA mates. The MWC believes they will join the Big East soon, so if they were to invite Tulsa, they do realize it has to be soon, but where would the extra TV money come from as Tulsa wouldn't drive up the TV money just like UTEP can't.

In summary, look for the MWC to stay at 12. The only way they are going to jump higher than that is if BYU does join. Honestly, I've very skeptical about BYU joining anyway, I think its a longshot at best.
01-22-2013 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Boise fan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
RE: Newest Info
(01-22-2013 12:24 PM)Ron7098 Wrote:  Through the whole Boise St/San Diego St thing, the MWC finally decided to get aggressive in the expansion role instead of being reactive.

UTEP would have been the school to take the 12th spot if SDSU did not. The plan was to go to 14 schools at the minimum with 16 being the idea number. That's when they began to reach out to other schools.

You can read my other posts if you haven't already to see what they were doing.

Now as a conference they are going to take a step back, as the schools they are targeting aren't ready to move over. Obviously UTEP would, but that wouldn't help them any TV money wise, so they would need someone to join with them that would help their TV contract.

As far as BYU goes, they are still talking, alot, but this whole thing depends on ESPN and CBS. If BYU gets to keep their ESPN deal, they will re-join. BYU and the MWC basically have the framework on a deal done, now its getting ESPN on board as well. Seems easy, but this also includes rights to other MWC games as well.

I want to make sure I'm clear on this, even though BYU and MWC have the framework taken care of on a deal, that doesn't mean its going to be completed soon. There are things in BYU's contract with ESPN that would have to be adjusted to make it fit in the MWC's contract. I've been told that this deal can me made at anytime, but it could also take a while as well. My Fresno source absolutely believes we will hear something by the end of the month, but my other sources here in Wyoming and Colorado don't think its happening anytime soon.

Houston - This is the one they really want, but unless BYU joins and does it soon, this is looking like it won't happen. The only way they are going to get the Cougars is to pull them in within the next month.

SMU - They have turned down overtures from the MWC, and now I'm being told they are completely off the table.

Tulsa - Interest from both sides. Tulsa would prefer to be with their old C-USA mates. The MWC believes they will join the Big East soon, so if they were to invite Tulsa, they do realize it has to be soon, but where would the extra TV money come from as Tulsa wouldn't drive up the TV money just like UTEP can't.

In summary, look for the MWC to stay at 12. The only way they are going to jump higher than that is if BYU does join. Honestly, I've very skeptical about BYU joining anyway, I think its a longshot at best.

Without naming names, where did you get this info?

Very interesting - thanks for posting! Hope they get a deal done with BYU - I posted a suggestion on it in another thread - and then we go to 14 or 16. We need a few Texas schools and to weaken or kill off the BE.
01-22-2013 12:44 PM
Ron7098 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wyoming/LSU
I have two at Wyoming, one at Colorado St, and one that is working at Fresno.

The one from Wyoming is a high school buddy that works in the AD office, the other actually works in the media relations department, but not the athletics. But that guy has more inside info on everything.

The one from Colorado St works in the AD office.

The one from Fresno is actually just a consultant that was hired on to help Fresno with the transition to the MWC. His two year contract expires at the end of the month. 03-weeping

But good news he is going to be helping both San Jose St and Utah St with their transitions 02-13-banana

But for being a consultant, he has quite a bit of knowledge as well.
01-22-2013 01:04 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
That sounds about right what is going on. The MW had UTEP on hold if SDSU didn't want to come back. I think 12 is good and only expand now if BYU wants in sometime in the future.
01-22-2013 02:30 PM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
Exclamation RE: Newest Info

I just don't see it with BYU. Not all-in in football, or all-sports.
01-23-2013 01:13 AM
Advertisement

SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
I like quite a bit about UTEP for the MWC.

I think they have much more to offer than most suggest.
01-23-2013 01:17 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
UTEP gave Wisconsin a good game that I saw this year. They draw good football crowds.
01-23-2013 04:25 AM
Advertisement

Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
(01-23-2013 04:25 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  UTEP gave Wisconsin a good game that I saw this year. They draw good football crowds.

I agree about UTEP. They have good facilities, good fan base, and the entire West Texas media market. Plus they have a history with most of the MWC schools. But the only way I see them coming in right now is with BYU. Houston might be able to bring them, but BYU, it seems, is the prize the MWC is hoping for.
01-23-2013 07:54 AM
The Eye Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
Any updates from your sources Ron?

I am wondering if this information that the nBE full rights offer may be in the $20-$23 million range might sway Houston/SMU. From reading your previous updates, its seems like Houston and SMU telling the MWC they wanted to stay east and BYU complexities with working out a deal, pretty much shut down the MWC at 12 for the time being.
02-12-2013 12:37 PM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
(02-12-2013 12:37 PM)The Eye Wrote:  Any updates from your sources Ron? I am wondering if this information that the nBE full rights offer may be in the $20-$23 million range might sway Houston/SMU. From reading your previous updates, its seems like Houston and SMU telling the MWC they wanted to stay east and BYU complexities with working out a deal, pretty much shut down the MWC at 12 for the time being.

$2MM in the BE still probably beats $800K in the MWC. New contracts could change that down the road though.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 02:44 PM by eldermars.)
02-13-2013 02:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.