UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Turnovers and other things wrong with Haase-Fast
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
Turnovers and other things wrong with Haase-Fast
aOur guys look like they have virtually no fundamental skills these days. We threw it away so many times just trying to get in inbounds yesterday that I lost count. Our point guards ( dont have to name names ) have been horrible with their passing to the wings. And to make matters worse, (this is becoming a disturbing recurring theme), we are giving up points in big bunches and not scoring. We went from having a decent lead in the first half only to get blown away over the next several minutes. Im wondering why the coach isnt calling some timeouts when things are getting totally out of hand and come up with something to stop the bleeding. Failing this, cant there be some more effective communication to the guys while they are on the floor falling apart?

I know we are short handed with warm bodies, but why is Hoopy sitting so much when he seems to be able to apply some serious defensive pressure and has a decent offensive game?

Looked to me like Sou Miss was the only team playing 'Haase Fast' ball yesterday and it SUCKED to have taken the trip down to Hattiesburg only to see such a dismal performance.

Rant over for now.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 12:47 PM by BlazrDawg.)
01-20-2013 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
RE: Turnovers and other things wrong with Haase-Fast
Mike anderson team doesnt look too good his first year except at the end of the season with a major run in the tournament
New coach , below average player , a pf the size of sg , a pg who normally play as 2 guard and center who try hard
next year I will be MORE vocale ,,,this year he is getting a pass
01-20-2013 01:08 PM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

Yep, the inbound turnovers were puzzling. Besides this, two other things really stick out. First, Jordan simply can't create his own shot. When he's open he's deadly accurate, though. Secondly, the lack of a penetrating pg hurts badly. No one on the team can penetrate and dish, or drive to the hole to shoot. Next year, it seems this issue will be solved. I hope at least.
01-20-2013 01:20 PM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(01-20-2013 01:08 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  Mike anderson team doesnt look too good his first year except at the end of the season with a major run in the tournament
New coach , below average player , a pf the size of sg , a pg who normally play as 2 guard and center who try hard

Amen!
01-20-2013 01:28 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
One of you guys that gets to participate in the Chalk Talk needs to ask Haase why he doesn't call timeouts. I've noticed Roy does it too, so it's a philosophical thing I think.

From what I can tell, he seems to use timeouts for strategic planning at the end of a half or game, instead of damage control during a run.
01-20-2013 01:48 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The sky is blue, the grass is green, everything is OK in Mayberry.
01-20-2013 02:03 PM
Advertisement

jthrashr Offline
1st String

We just don't have the talent this year. We have a good player or two, but we don't have five of them, and we certainly don't have anybody capable of scoring 30+. Davis left the cupboard bare. If we play the what-if game, this is a roster that should still have Soko, Criswell, Harrison, and Fields. That would still leave us without a decent guard.

About the turnovers and defense, that's what happens when we have a roster with one guard, a bunch of forwards, and one center. We just don't have the athletes that can dominate either side of the floor. If Jekore Tyler wasn't a basket case, this team might be a game or two better in the win column, but that's debatable.

I don't have a problem with not calling timeouts during runs. We would just struggle with more inbound scenarios.
01-20-2013 02:13 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(01-20-2013 01:08 PM)UABFRENCHY Wrote:  Mike anderson team doesnt look too good his first year except at the end of the season with a major run in the tournament

This. I don't understand why people keep wanting to talk about our issues this season. There is a learning curve with any new system, and we basically have no depth. Let Haase do his job, and we can complain next year if things still look this way.
01-20-2013 02:26 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I am willing to give him a pass next year too. Our upper classmen have been deemed untalented hacks by the experts on Blazertalk, so that leaves a bunch of brand new players who have never played D1 before. It will take them some time to adjust and develop.
01-20-2013 02:29 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators

I don't remember Anderson holding practice without a ball.(I thought I heard a poster say we have done that???) If we play without a ball the turnovers will disappear. 05-stirthepot

Anderson also had more talent in year 1. Even so, Anderson is a better coach.
01-20-2013 05:39 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
What does that have to do with anything?
01-20-2013 05:51 PM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I have not been impressed with our PG play, and that hurts in a lot of ways.
01-20-2013 06:00 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

Transition defense has been horrible, as well...
01-20-2013 06:04 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
We don't have guys that can handle the ball under pressure. We have been reliant on guys like AJ and Squeaky for nearly a decade that simply could not be pressured with the ball in their hands. We've gotten spoiled and our coaches did not do a good enough job trying to replace guys like AJ.

I don't know to what degree Dayshawn Watkins fits in the mold of someone like AJ or Squeaky, but I hope he can handle pressure on the ball. We haven't had anyone since AJ left that could reliably do this.

Certainly we have other fundamental problems. Everyone ought to be able to handle some ball pressure, and we have virtually no one that can. We're also very weak on the perimeter in terms of shooting percentage and we don't have a lot of height as a team. All of those combine for the type of results we're seeing.
01-20-2013 06:11 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

We don't score more points than the opposing team.
01-20-2013 06:18 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
The three newcomers are average D1 players. Right now they are the three best players on the team. It will be season after next before the program is rebuilt to UAB standards.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 06:33 PM by BlazerGreen.)
01-20-2013 06:26 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(01-20-2013 06:00 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I have not been impressed with our PG play, and that hurts in a lot of ways.

thats because we dont have a point guard...i think thats our biggest problem. not our only problem, but our biggest
01-20-2013 06:28 PM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Haase can't run 5v5 in practice, we have no help from our bench... we can't run "Haase-fast" style with no bench, so he resorts to a modified gameplan that isn't what he has ever run in his career.

Face it, we are just in survival mode at this point in the season. All we can hope for is that the players continue learning the system and no one gets hurt. Next year we'll be bringing in what amounts to a second starting five... practice will be more competitive, players will get more rest during games, and we will have players that were recruited to run the court.
01-20-2013 06:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(01-20-2013 06:38 PM)UABslant Wrote:  Haase can't run 5v5 in practice, we have no help from our bench... we can't run "Haase-fast" style with no bench, so he resorts to a modified gameplan that isn't what he has ever run in his career.

Face it, we are just in survival mode at this point in the season. All we can hope for is that the players continue learning the system and no one gets hurt. Next year we'll be bringing in what amounts to a second starting five... practice will be more competitive, players will get more rest during games, and we will have players that were recruited to run the court.

Thank You Mike Davis !
01-20-2013 06:42 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
We have bad fans.
01-20-2013 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.