Tulsa likely to Big East
01-20-2013 12:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DxOCD Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ECU
RE: Tulsa likely to Big East
(01-20-2013 12:32 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU...TLIN401120

Looks like their map maker is lost. ECU not on the linked map and Navy not listed as FB only
01-20-2013 12:37 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-20-2013 12:37 PM)DxOCD Wrote:  
(01-20-2013 12:32 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU...TLIN401120

Looks like their map maker is lost. ECU not on the linked map and Navy not listed as FB only

I still think we could do better by staying at 10 for awhile with Navy to come in at 2015.

It would be to our advantage to see if UMASS, ODU, Charlotte, etc, can gain some decent traction with their performance and support; and create some FBS buzz.

Tulsa does great on the field but I wonder if their support is as good as it will get (mainly because of their small enrollment). They may be a better fit for the MWC.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 12:58 PM by BigEastHomer.)
01-20-2013 12:56 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
WTF. This busted freaking conference keeps sinking farther and farther into irrelevancy. Just become the Sunbelt and be done with it.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 01:05 PM by rath v2.0.)
01-20-2013 01:05 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Tulsa has very good academics and they have a competitive FB program (they have beaten ND, and they just beat Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl). It's a medium-sized city, with just under 1 million people (the #55 TV market).

They're a solid and unspectacular addition. Since UNC and Georgia haven't submitted applications for membership, Tulsa will have to do. They're the best option available.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 01:08 PM by UConn-SMU.)
01-20-2013 01:06 PM
NewEnglandBull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF Bulls
(01-20-2013 01:05 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  WTF. This busted freaking conference keeps sinking farther and farther into irrelevancy. Just become the Sunbelt and be done with it.

Thanks for the great insight. So what is your solution invite USC? 01-wingedeagle
01-20-2013 01:19 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Invite nobody and quit splitting the sheckles this tv deal will provide among more mouths that don't move the needle an iota.
01-20-2013 01:23 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-20-2013 01:05 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  WTF. This busted freaking conference keeps sinking farther and farther into irrelevancy. Just become the Sunbelt and be done with it.

Tulsa is a highly respected academic university in a SMSA of about a million with a high performing athletic programs. This is a solid addition.

I'm far more disappointed in the 3.5 to 4.5 estimate. I can, however, live with it if comes with a weekly nationally televised Saturday game on an over the air channel like NBC, Fox, or CBS. I'm still hoping for something in the 5-7 million range.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 01:31 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-20-2013 01:29 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(01-20-2013 01:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Tulsa is a highly respected academic university in a SMSA of about a million with a high performing athletic programs. This is a solid addition.

I'm far more disappointed in the 3.5 to 4.5 estimate. I can, however, live with it if comes with a weekly nationally televised Saturday game on an over the air channel like NBC, Fox, or CBS. I'm still hoping for something in the 5-7 million range.

I think the tv "guess" is the low end for the football deal. Once again it is just an educated guess. I think it will be more than that but that is just a guess too.

Tulsa is best football/basketball pick left. It probably keeps the conference together when Cincy and UConn leave.

I really want to hear from Cincinnati and UConn people about this league. Most UC people keep blowing smoke about how things are going happen and that the University of Cincinnati will move up but there isn't anything out there that makes be believe this conference will not be our home for the next five years or more.
01-20-2013 01:39 PM
ScreamShatter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Temple
(01-20-2013 12:56 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(01-20-2013 12:37 PM)DxOCD Wrote:  

I still think we could do better by staying at 10 for awhile with Navy to come in at 2015.

It would be to our advantage to see if UMASS, ODU, Charlotte, etc, can gain some decent traction with their performance and support; and create some FBS buzz.

Tulsa does great on the field but I wonder if their support is as good as it will get (mainly because of their small enrollment). They may be a better fit for the MWC.

I completely agree. We shouldn't be adding anyone right now unless they add value to the TV package. While Tulsa is a solid team, I'm not sure it adds much value or brings more stability. I'd rather just stay at 10 for a short while.
01-20-2013 01:49 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators

Kidding yourself if you think adding Tulsa for the media deal adds a dime to your school's coffers. Won't even be revenue neutral once all the extra slivers of the pie are lopped off.
01-20-2013 01:57 PM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(01-20-2013 01:57 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Kidding yourself if you think adding Tulsa for the media deal adds a dime to your school's coffers. Won't even be revenue neutral once all the extra slivers of the pie are lopped off.

If they cut the money into smaller pieces than nobody is being added, unless there is knowledge that a school is leaving.
01-20-2013 01:59 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Hope springs eternal.
01-20-2013 02:01 PM
ScreamShatter Offline
Special Teams

(01-20-2013 01:59 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  
(01-20-2013 01:57 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

If they cut the money into smaller pieces than nobody is being added, unless there is knowledge that a school is leaving.

They are being added as a replacement for SDSU. No doubt, Tulsa does not add the value that SDSU added.

I'm not against adding more teams -- but I don't see the value of adding a team right now when we could wait until Navy comes on and make a decision between Tulsa, Charlotte, UMass,, etc.
01-20-2013 02:13 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
My school is not involved with this voting but I can't imagine adding Tulsa creates enough additional revenue to give existing schools more money in the end game then they would get with 10.
01-20-2013 02:18 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-20-2013 02:18 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  My school is not involved with this voting but I can't imagine adding Tulsa creates enough additional revenue to give existing schools more money in the end game then they would get with 10.

Tulsa is not so much about adding revenue over 10 schools. It's about adding a CCG game when we get to 11 with Navy. Between the Tulsa market and the value of the CCG game, I suspect the Tulsa addition will be close to revenue neutral. Navy is revenue positive. So, adding both should increase revenue to each school a bit. It's certainly not going to cut revenue to any significant degree.

In my opinion dogging Tulsa and then pimping schools like UMass (that is NOT in the Boston DMA) and Charolette that hasn't even played a down of football is laughable. Don't get me wrong, both schools may develop, but there will be plenty of time to add said schools in the future if they pan out. No reason to blindly gamble on thier future prospects at this point in time.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 02:28 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-20-2013 02:25 PM
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: Tulsa likely to Big East
Considering the rapid pace that teams change conferences these days, you almost have to go beyond 10 teams now or risk getting raided down to oblivion.

If the current 10 would commit to being in the league for all times, you woudn't have to, but there isn't a school in the current 10 that wouldn't leave to one of the big 5 conferences. It is what it is.

For the record, I like Tulsa and like being in a conference with them, AND I still wish there was a way to stay at 10. Just don't see any way that can happen.
01-20-2013 02:28 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
This contract is already being negotiated with Navy considered part of the offering. They don't get counted twice. Tulsa is a dreadful move barring any further defections.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2013 02:28 PM by rath v2.0.)
01-20-2013 02:28 PM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: Tulsa likely to Big East
Also I think SMU and Houston could be swayed to the MWC in a package deal with Tulsa. Good chance of one other school to get to 16 too. At that point the options out there for replacements really are slim.
01-20-2013 02:31 PM
ScreamShatter Offline
Special Teams

(01-20-2013 02:25 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-20-2013 02:18 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  My school is not involved with this voting but I can't imagine adding Tulsa creates enough additional revenue to give existing schools more money in the end game then they would get with 10.

Tulsa is not so much about adding revenue over 10 schools. It's about adding a CCG game when we get to 11 with Navy. Between the Tulsa market and the value of the CCG game, I suspect the Tulsa addition will be close to revenue neutral. Navy is revenue positive. So, adding both should increase revenue to each school a bit. It's certainly not going to cut revenue to any significant degree.

In my opinion dogging Tulsa and then pimping schools like UMass (that is NOT in the Boston DMA) and Charolette that hasn't even played a down of football is laughable. Don't get me wrong, both schools may develop, but there will be plenty of time to add said schools in the future if they pan out. No reason to blindly gamble on thier future prospects at this point in time.

I don't see how you can think adding Tulsa would be revenue neutral. They don't add a market comparable to Houston, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Orlando, Cincinnati, Memphis, Dallas, etc. They also have a much smaller school size than the rest of us -- which means smaller alumni base for support. They will not help the exisiting nBE sale more tickets to games, in general. Just knowing those basic facts, I don't think it's possible to see how they add or retain value to the TV contract.

What I said was wait a few years to see what UMass and Charlotte do. Charlotte is a real market (Top 20), they have good basketball, and could end up being solid in football. UMass is just starting to expand football, and yes, it does sit in the Boston market. If schools like Northeastern, Boston University, and Boston College can claim the Boston market...so can UMass. UMass may not pull all of Boston, but lets be honest, neither do the rest of us in our respective markets. In my opinion, it's all about exposure in different markets.
01-20-2013 02:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.