UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Notre Dame's Manti Te'o made up story about GF dying.
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
OT: Notre Dame's Manti Te'o made up story about GF dying.
WOW. Talking about ruining your image. Really at a loss for words.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-d...socialflow

The TLDR version: She never existed, he and a friend made her up, apparently as a prank that then spiraled out of control.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 04:50 PM by BlazerMatt.)
01-16-2013 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazerJoe Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Navy, ASU

Folding@NCAAbbs
RE: OT: Notre Dame's Manti Te'o made up story about GF dying.
Ain't that a...
01-16-2013 05:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN

Notre Dame statement: "Notre Dame coaches informed Dec 26 by Manti Te’o & parents Manti had been victim of what appears to be a hoax"

ND: "Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself w/Manti & then conspired w/others to lead him believe she had tragically died of leukemia"

ND: "Proper authorities continue to investigate, this appears to be, at minimum, a sad & very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators"
01-16-2013 05:19 PM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-16-2013 04:48 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  WOW. Talking about ruining your image. Really at a loss for words.
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-d...socialflow

The TLDR version: She never existed, he and a friend made her up, apparently as a prank that then spiraled out of control.

that is sick
01-16-2013 05:33 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Lots of national reporters with egg on their face. Quoting a girl in a story who doesn't exist.
01-16-2013 06:17 PM
BlazerMT80 Offline
Water Engineer

Did he create the story to garner sympathy from ND fans, admin, and improve his chances for Heisman by getting media spreading story and getting votes that would go to someone else without the tragic human interest side story? Hmmmmm
01-16-2013 07:22 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

"I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."
01-16-2013 07:25 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
His GF: lol

[Image: BAxgordCMAA7l0u.jpg]
01-16-2013 08:38 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(01-16-2013 07:22 PM)BlazerMT80 Wrote:  Did he create the story to garner sympathy from ND fans, admin, and improve his chances for Heisman by getting media spreading story and getting votes that would go to someone else without the tragic human interest side story? Hmmmmm

I assumed his actual relationship was with the Tuiasosopo dude and the GF story was a cover (since even now it would still be tough to win the Heisman while openly gay) that got out of hand when they had to produce her and they killed her off.
01-16-2013 09:13 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
He's also a Mormon, and a good ole fashioned game of cornhole would be frowned upon in the LDS church.
01-16-2013 11:06 PM
LightEmUp70 Offline
Debt Free

The thread title is a little misleading since no one seems to actually know what really happened.
01-16-2013 11:43 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-16-2013 11:43 PM)LightEmUp70 Wrote:  The thread title is a little misleading since no one seems to actually know what really happened.

The title is reporting what the Deadspin article alleges. Notre Dame is now saying that he is a victim of a hoax, but based on what is reported, that is kind of hard to believe.
01-16-2013 11:58 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
(01-16-2013 11:58 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 11:43 PM)LightEmUp70 Wrote:  The thread title is a little misleading since no one seems to actually know what really happened.

The title is reporting what the Deadspin article alleges. Notre Dame is now saying that he is a victim of a hoax, but based on what is reported, that is kind of hard to believe.

I'm a bit sketchy on remembered details but keep in mind the story of the teenage girl who was fooled by a social media hoax about a boy she liked put on by the mother of a girl in her group. The girl was so ashamed when the hoax was revealed, she committed suicide. Hoaxes are always hard to believe when they are finally exposed so it would be wise to hear this one out. He may have been a victim or he may have been another Lance Armstrong.
01-17-2013 12:07 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-17-2013 12:07 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

I'm a bit sketchy on remembered details but keep in mind the story of the teenage girl who was fooled by a social media hoax about a boy she liked put on by the mother of a girl in her group. The girl was so ashamed when the hoax was revealed, she committed suicide. Hoaxes are always hard to believe when they are finally exposed so it would be wise to hear this one out. He may have been a victim or he may have been another Lance Armstrong.

Or Alabama and their many national championships
01-17-2013 12:22 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
Well, if he was scammed as he said then he failed to visit "the love of his life" for her college graduation, hospital bed after car accident, cancer treatments, and funeral. Making him the shittiest boyfriend ever.
01-17-2013 06:47 AM
torbida Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
03-lmfao
(01-16-2013 08:38 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  His GF: lol

[Image: BAxgordCMAA7l0u.jpg]
01-17-2013 07:09 AM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

I always think back to Duke Lacrosse when this type of story plays out. This country is so quick to judge and point fingers. I agree it sounds bad right now, but I'll wait to hear the facts and all parties speak before I pass judgement.
01-17-2013 08:58 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(01-17-2013 08:58 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I always think back to Duke Lacrosse when this type of story plays out. This country is so quick to judge and point fingers. I agree it sounds bad right now, but I'll wait to hear the facts and all parties speak before I pass judgement.

In various interviews he discussed meeting her, holding her hand, looking into her eyes, etc.; at the very least he lied about the details of an 'online relationship'.
01-17-2013 09:34 AM
USAFBlazerFan Offline
Bleeding Green & Gold since '93

I Root For: UAB BLAZERS!!!

Not according to their reporting of results from an actual investigation into this "scam."
01-17-2013 09:54 AM
UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Notre Dame has handled this poorly... they don't want to throw Te'o under the bus, but they don't want to ruin ND's image.

Someone isn't telling the truth and, right now, both Te'o and ND look like liars.
01-17-2013 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.