Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting Football stat
Bookmark and Share
Mopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Interesting Football stat
The Bearcats were 99th in offensive plays per game in 2012. That for an offense that was supposed to be of the uptempo no huddle variety.

01-16-2013 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Interesting Football stat
Who said UC was an uptempo offense? UC was a ball control run-first offense the past two years. Just because they line-up in the no huddle spread doesn't make them an uptempo team. The no-huddle allows teams to get into their offensive set early so the coaches (or QB) can take some time reading the defense and adjusting the play if necessary. And if you run it well it can keep the defense from subbing.

01-16-2013 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-16-2013 03:44 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Who said UC was an uptempo offense? UC was a ball control run-first offense the past two years. Just because they line-up in the no huddle spread doesn't make them an uptempo team. The no-huddle allows teams to get into their offensive set early so the coaches (or QB) can take some time reading the defense and adjusting the play if necessary. And if you run it well it can keep the defense from subbing.

The coaching staff said they were up tempo. Jones and crew indicated their goal was to run 70+ plays a game. Regardomg the run game, remember in the offseason when Mike Bajakian was quoted as saying we needed to have our #1 receiver catch 90-100 balls a season and some others in the 70-80 range.

There always seemed to be a lot of talking about doing one thing and then doing something completely different.

01-16-2013 03:51 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-16-2013 03:29 PM)Mopper Wrote:  The Bearcats were 99th in offensive plays per game in 2012. That for an offense that was supposed to be of the uptempo no huddle variety.

That is because of way too many 3 and outs or punting after 1-2 first downs.
No consistency with Munchie at QB.

01-16-2013 04:05 PM
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

It is an interesting statistic. We certainly were a much heavier running team this year than passing team which obviously skews things but interestingly enough we were 89th nationally in TOP. Our defensive statistics were middle of the road (54th nationally giving up 388 ypg) so it's not like our defense flat out sucked and couldn't get off the field.

That would lead me to believe that our yards per play on offense was pretty high. Upon review, it looks like we averaged 6.63 yards per play which is pretty good. We ranked 36th nationally in total offense (440 ypg) but 6.63 yards per play appears to be 9th nationally (couldn't find a ranking for this but the total yards per game stat has a yds per play metric and it looks like there are only 8 other teams ahead of us based on a scan). As a comparison, the #1 total offense was Louisiana Tech who averaged 577 yards per game but they only averaged 6.58 yards per play. They did however score 31 more TDs than us even though they played 1 less game.

01-16-2013 04:19 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
We also had a lot of big plays, especially once Kay (the second coming of the Mad Bomber) took over. RDA4 pretty much provided us with those all year, and Winn chipped in many more of them than anyone thought they would.

Mopper, how did our yards/play rank?

(edit) CRAP! Should have read Jake's post 03-lmfao

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 06:00 PM by Ring of Black.)
01-16-2013 05:59 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(01-16-2013 03:29 PM)Mopper Wrote:  The Bearcats were 99th in offensive plays per game in 2012. That for an offense that was supposed to be of the uptempo no huddle variety.
UC was decidedly NOT uptempo most of this past year. Drove me crazy the first half of the season.03-banghead

01-16-2013 07:19 PM
Advertisement

Mopper Offline
1st String

(01-16-2013 07:19 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
UC was decidedly NOT uptempo most of this past year. Drove me crazy the first half of the season.03-banghead

It was the single most annoying thing about the offense this year. Playing that slowly puts any offense at a disadvantage to the defense.

01-16-2013 11:28 PM
Cal1362 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
DonatorsDonators
Perfect example of misinterpreting a statistic. A quick look at the stats shows that the Bearcats were actually a quick strike offensive team with a defensive that had a tendency to give it back...
Big East team comparisons:
The Bearcats had 351 offensive plays over 10 yards including league leading counts in plays of 20+, 30+, 40+ and 50+
The 'Cats gave up 286 defensive plays over 10 yards, 6th in the BE including 1st or 2nd most in 10+, 40+ and 50+
BTW, the +65 differential was 3rd best in the BE. The Bearcat offensive production wasn't directly the issue, the quick strike style was and IMO contributed to the D's issues because they wore down due to not having enough quality depth

01-19-2013 12:27 AM
faNATIc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
It consistently took a long time for each play to get relayed to the offense under Butchs system. Line up) look like your gonna snap it) relax and look back at the sideline) man in motion) another 5 or ten seconds until snap...

During bowl season I got to see some real uptempo teams... Butch never achieved the uptempo style he preached.

01-19-2013 08:02 AM
Advertisement

Bearcat85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-19-2013 08:02 AM)faNATIc Wrote:  During bowl season I got to see some real uptempo teams... Butch never achieved the uptempo style he preached.

That's the thing (and I think the point of OP).

He always talked like we were going to go, go, go. But we really never did. Other teams would do it to us. And by do it, I mean, get up from previous play, get up to line, snap ball. You do that over a drive and the defense is on its heels.

01-19-2013 08:37 AM
Mopper Offline
1st String

(01-19-2013 12:27 AM)Cal1362 Wrote:  
Perfect example of misinterpreting a statistic. A quick look at the stats shows that the Bearcats were actually a quick strike offensive team with a defensive that had a tendency to give it back...
Big East team comparisons:
The Bearcats had 351 offensive plays over 10 yards including league leading counts in plays of 20+, 30+, 40+ and 50+
The 'Cats gave up 286 defensive plays over 10 yards, 6th in the BE including 1st or 2nd most in 10+, 40+ and 50+
BTW, the +65 differential was 3rd best in the BE. The Bearcat offensive production wasn't directly the issue, the quick strike style was and IMO contributed to the D's issues because they wore down due to not having enough quality depth

UC was very efficient when they had the ball. But how many plays a team runs on a per game has nothing to do with efficiency. Simply running a lot of plays doesn't make an offense demonstrably better or worse. A team can run a ton of plays every game and still be a inefficient offensive team. To wit, no one ran more plays more often last year than Marshall. The Herd ran 90 plays per game but were only an average offense in terms of yards per play at 5.9. Most advanced metrics also placed the Herd middle of the pack nationally. Plays per game is a measure pace and little else, and the Bearcats were downright glacial this year.

01-19-2013 02:50 PM
George Kaplan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-19-2013 08:37 AM)Bearcat85 Wrote:  
(01-19-2013 08:02 AM)faNATIc Wrote:  During bowl season I got to see some real uptempo teams... Butch never achieved the uptempo style he preached.

That's the thing (and I think the point of OP).

He always talked like we were going to go, go, go. But we really never did. Other teams would do it to us. And by do it, I mean, get up from previous play, get up to line, snap ball. You do that over a drive and the defense is on its heels.

Are we talking football or basketball here? 05-stirthepot

01-19-2013 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.