Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top 2013 Baseball Recruiting Classes
Bookmark and Share
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
Top 2013 Baseball Recruiting Classes
Kendall Rogers and Perfect Game has begun their ranking of next year's incoming recruiting class (pending departures due to the draft). Today he posted analysis of those ranked #41 - 50, with Tulane coming in at #42 and Houston at #43...

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View...ticle=7904

Not sure if this is premium content only, but here's the write-ups for the Coogs and Green Wave...

Quote:42. Tulane

Total 2013 class additions: 12

PG Top 100 commits: 1

Total points: 38

Average class player ranking: 4.22

Head of the class: INF Stephen Alemais

The Green Wave will have a real talent on their hands should Alemais head to college next fall. Alemais is a very athletic, 6-foot, 175-pounder, from New York (All Hallows). He's ranked No. 78 nationally and the nation's No. 2 middle infielder. Alemais put on a show defensively at last summer's PG National Showcase. He showed a live, athletic body, and was terrific defensively with a great arm and range. It's also worth noting the talented shortstop threw 89 across the diamond.

Class synopsis

Tulane recruiting coordinator Jake Gautreau is one of the rising assistants in college baseball, and he put together a nice foundation for the future. Though Alemais leads the way, the Green Wave also has an outstanding part of a tandem with the addition of 6-foot, 175-pound, middle infielder Hunter Hope. Hope threw 92 across the diamond at PG National this past summer, and also displayed a solid bat. He's ranked No. 78 nationally ... Also keep an eye on catcher Jake Rogers and right-handed pitchers Matt Horton and Corey Merrill. Rogers is a 6-foot-1, 190-pounder, and is ranked No. 420 nationally. Rogers shows smooth actions behind the plate. Meanwhile, Horton and Merrill are both good frame prospects standing at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds and 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, respectively. Horton sits 86-88 with his fastball, while Merrill got up to 88 this past July ... Texas product Tyler Wilson (Navarro College) is the lone junior college signee in this class. The 5-foot-11, 170-pound, infielder, hit .343 with four homers and 44 RBIs as a freshman last season.

43. Houston

PG Top 100 commits: 2

Total points: 37

Average class player ranking: 5.29

Head of the class: C Corey Simpson

It's an absolute treat to watch Simpson perform up close and personal. That's precisely the opportunity I had at the PG South Qualifier in Houston this past fall. Simpson certainly didn't disappoint. HIs physicality is the first thing that stands out about the big-time catcher. He's massive frame-wise at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds. He's ranked No. 62 nationally and the nation's No. 8 catcher. But furthermore, he's a big target behind the plate and displayed outstanding raw power at the plate. Some college coaches view Simpson as a first baseman at the next level, but Simpson likely will get the opportunity to catch at UH. That's assuming he doesn't skip college to sign in the MLB draft.

Class synopsis

The Cougars will have put together a very solid recruiting class if they can avoid getting hit by the draft with the loss of a couple prospects. We already talked about hard-hitting Corey Simpson, but also keep an eye on toolsy outfielder Nick Buckner. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound, Buckner, is ranked No. 62 nationally and is a tremendous athlete to go with a good bat. Buckner is a high draft risk, but the Cougars otherwise are in pretty good shape. Left-handed pitcher Nathan Jackson and right-hander Andrew Lantrip are other prospects to watch. Jackson is ranked No. 463 nationally and topped out at 88 this past fall. Meanwhile, Lantrip, a 6-foot-3, 180-pounder, also topped out at 88 this past fall ... In addition to the several high school signees, Houston's junior college help includes right-handed pitchers Taylor Cobb (Blinn JC), Vernon Maxwell (Panola JC), Jared Robinson (Midland JC) and Kyle Dowdy (Orange Coast CC).
01-14-2013 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mr. Bojangles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
RE: Top 2013 Baseball Recruiting Classes
Thanks for sharing.
01-14-2013 06:46 PM
Wavebacker Offline
All American

I Root For: Toolane.....
Now if only we can keep these kids around....
01-14-2013 06:52 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
anyone know if North Texas is planning on getting baseball program? I'm surprised they don't already have one
01-14-2013 07:37 PM
CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
(01-14-2013 07:37 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  anyone know if North Texas is planning on getting baseball program? I'm surprised they don't already have one
Definite activity and discussion. Rumors of stadium plans and private (big) donor funds being sought. All indications are that baseball will return by 2015 or sooner, but no official announcements yet.
01-14-2013 09:26 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(01-14-2013 06:52 PM)Wavebacker Wrote:  Now if only we can keep these kids around....

Tell me about it.........03-weeping
01-14-2013 09:32 PM
Advertisement

PirateNation Offline
All American

Updated today...

31. Oregon State
32. Wake Forest
33. Hawaii
34. California
35. East Carolina
36. Cal State Fullerton
37. Nebraska
38. Mizzou
39. Arizona
40. Pittsburgh
41. Notre Dame
42. Tulane
43. Houston

44. Arizona State
45. High Point
46. UC-Santa Barbara
47. Alabama
48. Virginia Tech
49. Utah
50. Baylor
01-15-2013 09:56 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
With the upcoming MLB draft later this summer, unless a baseball recruit is a Jan enrollee, (maybe from a JUCO), some of the best/brightest HS players will get drafted by MLB...and some will eventually sign a MLB deal before they hit campus next August....which is why college baseball recruiting rankings are almost meaningless....as no one knows which HS players will get drafted and/or even sign with MLB teams prior to August.

Recruiting HS baseball talent is tough for the above reasons, plus, you are signing players in Nov prior to even their final year year of HS and summer league baseball.
01-15-2013 10:30 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Here's the writeup on #35 ECU's 2013 recruiting class...

Quote:35. East Carolina

Total points: 52

Average class player ranking: 4.33

Head of the class: 1B Bryce Harman

The Pirates assembled yet another solid recruiting class, and Harman is by far the gem of this impressive crop. Harman could go both ways for the Pirates should he attend college instead of signing during the summer. Harman has a tall, lean, frame at 6-foot-6, 220 pounds. He's ranked No. 52 nationally and No. 4 in terms of third basemen. On the mound, Harman topped out at 91 last July with a 75 curve and 77 changeup. Offensively, Harman has big-time power potential with plenty of room to grow.

Class synopsis

ECU put together a good recruiting class and leaned a little toward the position player department with seven in that area as opposed to five pitchers. In terms of position players outside of two-way stud Bryce Harman, keep an eye on middle infielders Charlie Yorgen (331) and Kirk Morgan (500). Yorgen is ranked No. 331 nationally and No. 41 in terms of shortstops. Meanwhile, Morgan is a 5-foot-10, 160-pounder, with the ability to also pitch with a fastball topping out at 86 at the PG WWBA Championship. On the mound, keep an eye on elite right-handed pitcher TJ McDonald (162) and left-handed pitcher Luke Bolka. McDonald is a 6-foot-3, 185-pounder, who topped out at 92 down in Jupiter, Fla., in October, while Bolka is a 5-foot-11, 205-pounder, who topped out at 91 last July. Bolka also flashed a 73 curve, 76 slider and 80 changeup.
01-15-2013 11:57 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
I imagine ours is top 30.
01-15-2013 12:38 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
And here's PG's top 21 - 30th ranked 2014 recruiting classes, with UCF coming in at #30....

Quote:30. UCF

Total points: 62

Average class player ranking: 5.17

Head of the class: LHP Ian McKinney

The UCF coaching staff often does a great job of tracking down some of the Sunshine State's elite talents. Well, they reeled one in with the outstanding left-handed pitcher. McKinney isn't a physically imposing pitcher at 5-foot-11, 183 pounds, but he's tough as nails and has good stuff. He's ranked No. 90 nationally and impressed me at the PG WWBA World Championship in Jupiter. McKinney was consistently 86-90 from the left side with a 74 curve, 78 change and a hard, biting upper 70s, low 80s, slider which accounts as his best pitch. McKinney could be a star at the collegiate level should he make it campus.

Class synopsis

The Knights really emphasized the outfield in this year's recruiting class with the addition of Dalton Duty (151), Eugene Vazquez (186) and Alan Archer (346). Duty is a 6-foot, 184-pounder, who runs a 6.69 60-yard-dash and has a 92 mph arm from the outfield. He also can pitch for the Knights, topping out at 90 on the bump last July. Meanwhile, Vazquez is another outfielder with good speed (6.67) and a nice arm from the outfield (89 mph). Archer is a physical 6-foot-2, 215-pounder, who can pitch or play in the field. He has a cannon from the outfield, while he tops out at 88 on the mound. Also keep an eye on UCF junior college signees such as infielder Dylan Moore (Cypress JC), utility player Chad Whiteaker (Southern Nevada) and left-handed pitcher Danny Dixon (Brevard JC).

This means in all likelihood both USM and Rice cracked the Top 20.
01-16-2013 09:55 AM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

USM for sure. Rice....I dunno about that...just kidding haha.

Man how did USM and Rice beat out these other schools. Rice doesn't have the fan base and USM doesn't have the media market.
01-16-2013 11:08 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-16-2013 11:08 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  USM for sure. Rice....I dunno about that...just kidding haha.

Man how did USM and Rice beat out these other schools. Rice doesn't have the fan base and USM doesn't have the media market.

1. Rice doesn't have the fan base? You do realize that despite the 2nd smallest student enrollment in D-I sports and fewer living alumni than many state schools have undergrad students, over the past 10 years Rice and Reckling Park have consistently ranked in the Top 15 nationally in average home baseball attendance.

2. Fan base and media market have nothing to do with recruiting performance.

3. University of Texas ranked only #23 in PG's rankings, and will likely lose their one stud (#10 ranked prospect nationally) to the draft. This may be the first time in 15 years that UT did not rank in the Top 20 in recruiting classes.
01-16-2013 11:12 AM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

Walt, you got to realize many people don't follow baseball as closely as sime of us.
01-16-2013 11:56 AM
istrahan Offline
Special Teams

(01-16-2013 11:12 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 11:08 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  USM for sure. Rice....I dunno about that...just kidding haha.

1. Rice doesn't have the fan base? You do realize that despite the 2nd smallest student enrollment in D-I sports and fewer living alumni than many state schools have undergrad students, over the past 10 years Rice and Reckling Park have consistently ranked in the Top 15 nationally in average home baseball attendance.

2. Fan base and media market have nothing to do with recruiting performance.

3. University of Texas ranked only #23 in PG's rankings, and will likely lose their one stud (#10 ranked prospect nationally) to the draft. This may be the first time in 15 years that UT did not rank in the Top 20 in recruiting classes.

Walt, I think he was being little sarcastic because of all the realignment talk and our schools not being included. Everyone knows both Rice and USM can pull a crowd for baseball.
01-16-2013 02:03 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
https://twitter.com/KendallRogersPG/stat...6357056512

From Kendall Rogers (Perfect Game):
Quote:In the process of finalizing recruiting rankings. Big surprise? #FIU. #Panthers ranked 16th nationally w/ a very very deep class. #SunBelt
01-16-2013 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I really wish we had a better baseball program at Tech. It seems like we're always mediocre. It's gets frustrating!
01-16-2013 05:24 PM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
Huh...I didn't know anyone rated baseball recruiting classes. Learn something new every day.
01-16-2013 05:37 PM
Noodles Offline
All American

(01-16-2013 05:24 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  I really wish we had a better baseball program at Tech. It seems like we're always mediocre. It's gets frustrating!

You will improve in C-USA. Wait and see.
01-16-2013 05:39 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-16-2013 05:37 PM)99Tiger Wrote:  Huh...I didn't know anyone rated baseball recruiting classes. Learn something new every day.

Everybody (Baseball America, Collegiate Baseball, Perfect Game) ranks recruiting classes...but usually they wait until after the draft and after Freshman have matriculated before publishing.
01-16-2013 05:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.