NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
New RB Coach - Roy Manning
Roy Manning ‏@CoachRoyM

Fired up to be coaching the Running Backs at a Top 25 program!!!! #HuskieNation
Expand

8 Jan Frisman Jackson Frisman Jackson ‏@Frisman88

@CoachRoyM congrats boy...its a great place.....
Hide conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Came from Cincinnati, played at Michigan and in NFL. Young guy, Detroit connections...looks like a great hire and hopefully a great recruiter!

Roy Manning enters the first season as the Bearcats' running backs coach, starting his second stint with the University of Cincinnati football staff in 2012.

Prior to returning to Cincinnati, Manning spent the 2011 season at his alma mater, the University of Michigan. He served as the offensive graduate assistant on head coach Brady Hoke's staff, working mainly with the offensive line and helping lead the Wolverines to an 11-2 record, including a win in the 2012 Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Manning spent the 2010 season with the Bearcats as a defensive assistant. He assisted the defensive staff in all aspects on and off the field, including film breakdown, quality control, scouting and practice preparation.

Prior to his appointment in Cincinnati, Manning spent three seasons in the NFL with five different teams. He signed as a free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 2005. He played in 15 games and started two contests as a rookie, tallying 41 tackles and one pass breakup. Manning tied for third on the team with 21 stops on special teams. He also had stints with the Houston Texans, Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals.

Manning was a four-year letterman for the Wolverines (2000-04) who played in 37 career games and made 10 starts at linebacker as a fifth-year senior. He was named the Roger Zatkoff Award winner as the team's top linebacker in 2004 after posting 39 tackles, six tackles for loss and one sack. Manning finished his career with 72 stops, nine TFLs and three sacks.

Manning earned his bachelor's degree in general studies from U-M in 2004. He is a 2000 graduate of Saginaw High School in Saginaw, Mich. Manning lettered in football, basketball, baseball and track and was named the male scholar-athlete of the year at Saginaw.

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footb...roy00.html

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 07:59 PM by NIU32.)
01-11-2013 07:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

RE: New RB Coach - Roy Manning
I'm kind if weary that he would go from being a RB coach at Cinci to the RB coach of a MAC school. This isn't meant to be a diss of the MAC either. Why isn't he coaching there anymore?
01-11-2013 08:17 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(01-11-2013 08:17 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  I'm kind if weary that he would go from being a RB coach at Cinci to the RB coach of a MAC school. This isn't meant to be a diss of the MAC either. Why isn't he coaching there anymore?

He probably wasn't retained by the new HC at Cincinnati. Butch Jones moved on to Tennessee.
01-11-2013 08:21 PM
Big Redd Offline
Special Teams

Cinci got a new coach, he's out of a job. Good hire, don't be so freak'n pessimistic.
01-11-2013 08:21 PM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Maybe he can convert a Cincy verbal. Saw that Tubberville has been passive-aggressively pushing verbals to the old staff into decommitting.
01-11-2013 08:39 PM
prairiedawg Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES
Welcome Coach Roy! I love the hire!

We need young aggressive coaches...in addition to old wise ones.
01-11-2013 08:52 PM
Advertisement

Springfield Soxfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: White Sox
I thought for sure this was going to be Garrett Wolfe. When he was allowed to be on sideline for OB, I thought it was a done deal.
01-11-2013 08:55 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-11-2013 08:55 PM)Springfield Soxfan Wrote:  I thought for sure this was going to be Garrett Wolfe. When he was allowed to be on sideline for OB, I thought it was a done deal.

GW has never even been a GA before, hes got a ways to go in terms of coaching experience before he would be considered as a D1 college coach. Not even sure if he is looking to get in coaching yet. When I talked to him at the OB it sounded like he was still doing his thing and trying to play in Canada.

As for Coaching Manning, I really like this hire, especially after watching the video. Seems like a players coach who also can push his guys to go harder. Good hire!
01-11-2013 08:59 PM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

(01-11-2013 08:55 PM)Springfield Soxfan Wrote:  I thought for sure this was going to be Garrett Wolfe. When he was allowed to be on sideline for OB, I thought it was a done deal.

lol.......what? Is that a joke?
01-11-2013 08:59 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies

Please explain to me what in Garrett Wolfe's background qualifies him to be our RB coach. This infatuation with ex-players makes absolutely no sense at all. Just maybe he should have actually coached before we put him on our staff.
01-11-2013 09:07 PM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(01-11-2013 08:21 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 08:17 PM)timxlydon Wrote:  I'm kind if weary that he would go from being a RB coach at Cinci to the RB coach of a MAC school. This isn't meant to be a diss of the MAC either. Why isn't he coaching there anymore?

He probably wasn't retained by the new HC at Cincinnati. Butch Jones moved on to Tennessee.

Yeah, I forgot about that.
01-11-2013 09:10 PM
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This hire does seem to shoot the odds of Cole being OC way up. There aren't a ton of TE/OC combos.
01-11-2013 10:08 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(01-11-2013 09:07 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  Please explain to me what in Garrett Wolfe's background qualifies him to be our RB coach. This infatuation with ex-players makes absolutely no sense at all. Just maybe he should have actually coached before we put him on our staff.

While I do not believe Garrett is currently qualified to be our RB coach, his NFL experience and exposure to a variety of coaches could someday be considered as a foundation to being a GA or lower level coach.

At the same time, you state "this infatuation with ex-players makes absolutely no sense at all," is a debateable comment. There can be a lot of extra pride, heart, and commintment from those coaching at their alma mater. Having an ex-Huskie or two on staff sends a message to the players that the program produces the kind of individuals who deserved to be respected and give back with heart and soul. Alums from the program speak with authority and cred about the program's past, ssuccess, and ambition.
01-11-2013 10:45 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
Great hire.. young coach with some great experience!
01-12-2013 12:22 AM
NIUpride Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Huskies
(01-12-2013 12:22 AM)cartershaw Wrote:  Great hire.. young coach with some great experience!

Tennessee loss is our gain - great hire!
01-12-2013 12:32 AM
cartershaw Offline
All American

(01-11-2013 08:39 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  Maybe he can convert a Cincy verbal. Saw that Tubberville has been passive-aggressively pushing verbals to the old staff into decommitting.

Kent st got one... http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogp...l&id=29035
01-12-2013 12:48 AM
Advertisement

cartershaw Offline
All American

(01-12-2013 12:32 AM)NIUpride Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:22 AM)cartershaw Wrote:  Great hire.. young coach with some great experience!

Tennessee loss is our gain - great hire!
Butch retained Jay Graham(who is awesome) as his rb coach at TN
01-12-2013 12:51 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(01-12-2013 12:48 AM)cartershaw Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 08:39 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  Maybe he can convert a Cincy verbal. Saw that Tubberville has been passive-aggressively pushing verbals to the old staff into decommitting.

Kent st got one... http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogp...l&id=29035

I guess he decided since Cincy left him he wouldn't keep with the red/black combo from his hair all the way to DeKalb, had an offer here.
01-12-2013 03:18 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Doeren was a big fan of hiring young assistant coaches, I like this hire. Interesting (or maybe just a coincidence) that both the WR coach and RB have Detroit connections.
01-12-2013 03:55 AM
Springfield Soxfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: White Sox
(01-11-2013 08:59 PM)niubrad00 Wrote:  

lol.......what? Is that a joke?

Take this as making an observation more then commenting on his qualifications.
01-12-2013 08:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.