Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

CALLING ADONIS THOMAS
Bookmark and Share
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
CALLING ADONIS THOMAS
Time to step up my man! No more excuses. It's time. You came in with all the accolades. You came in with all the hype. You flirted with the NBA. You were expected to be "the man" this year. You've shown flashes, but we need more than that. We need you to play like we know you're capable of. We all love you. We all want to see you succeed, both here and at the next level. But right now, we need more from you. 10 & 3 in almost 30 minutes isn't going to cut it! We see what you're capable of. We saw it against UT. We saw it against VCU. You have the ability to take games over. You're 6'7" with the skill to match. There isn't a single player in this conference that should realistically be able to check you. Not one. The only player that will keep you from achieving your potential is yourself. Stop worrying about the game and just play. Sack up. A player doesn't go from shooting 40% to 20% because his skills fade away. Not a player of your caliber, anyway. That's all in your head. Let it all go, and just play ball...like you did last year. Before all the NBA talk. Before the injury. Before you were pegged as the new "go-to" guy. Just play ball. The team needs you. Man up. You got the entire city behind you... 04-rock
01-10-2013 01:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JTS Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: CALLING ADONIS THOMAS
Adonis struggles with his ball handling skills and is too slow in deciding what he wants to do when he catches the ball on the block. Theses tendencies allow his defender to prepare himself for the next action. Blame it on whatever you want, but, the above will kill any designs he has of playing in the NBA.

Maybe he can fix them, I hope so.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 06:46 PM by JTS.)
01-10-2013 03:18 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-10-2013 03:18 PM)JTS Wrote:  Adonis struggles with his ball handling skills and is to slow in deciding what he wants to do when he catches the ball on the block. Theses tendencies allow his defender to prepare himself for the next action. Blame it on whatever you want, but, the above will kill any designs he has of playing in the NBA.

Maybe he can fix them, I hope so.

To me it looks like Adonis gets the looks he wants most of the time...He is just missing them...

Kind of like JJ did most of last year with the 10-15 foot jumper...He would get that look whenever he wanted it...He just couldn't hit the damn thing.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 03:22 PM by macgar32.)
01-10-2013 03:21 PM
ZachMan Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Tigers
The shots may start falling anytimeor not, just don't understand how a man that is 6'7 and is built like Adonis averages 2-4 rebounds a game
01-10-2013 03:31 PM
tigeriron Offline
All American

I Root For: ban negativity
4 years
01-10-2013 03:31 PM
HUSTLEandFLOW Offline
1st String

I Root For: M.E.M.P.H.I.S
There were a couple times last night that Adonis could've easily gone strong to the rack for a dunk, but he tries to be so smooth and cute with his little turn around triple pump fadeaway jumper. JUST TAKE IT TO THE HOLE AT!!!!!
01-10-2013 03:33 PM
Advertisement

HUSTLEandFLOW Offline
1st String

I Root For: M.E.M.P.H.I.S
(01-10-2013 03:31 PM)tigeriron Wrote:  4 years

COSIGN!
01-10-2013 03:34 PM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

He needs to get out on the break and get the easy stuff.

The other will come to him.

He's supposed to be a great rebounder; that would help too.
01-10-2013 03:40 PM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

His ball-handling is pretty rough. He's good when he gets the ball on the elbow and can take one or two dribbles to the hole. Where he gets into trouble is when he tries to break someone down from the 3 point line. That often results in a stripped ball. Also, I agree...he tries to be too cute. If he just kept it simple, he could have 6-8 ppg more...
01-10-2013 03:47 PM
uofmwalton Offline
Legen.....wait for it......dary.

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Why do you expect him to flip a switch and be a player that he has never been before?
01-10-2013 04:12 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(01-10-2013 04:12 PM)uofmwalton Wrote:  Why do you expect him to flip a switch and be a player that he has never been before?

I tend to agree. I do not think AT has the makeup of someone who will score 18+ ppg. He is certainly capable for the big game where he has 18+, but I just do not think that he is a natural scorer. He is a great player and can do a lot of other things to impact the game. In fact, I think the best thing he could do is stop thinking about scoring and focus on other parts of the game like rebounding and passing. Because of his build and slashing ability he will always get a couple of buckets. If he can start to impact the games in other ways he will start to have much more of an impact and probably start to creep back up draft boards.
01-10-2013 04:19 PM
Advertisement

dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
He definitely passes the eyeball test, but with his build it is hard to figure how he does not get more rebounds and get to the free throw line more.

I would love to see him focus on getting an opponent's star player in foul trouble.

Looking like he will have all four years to develop
01-10-2013 04:28 PM
terop Offline
Special Teams

Rebound, be a defensive pesk, and run the lanes for easy baskets with JJ...pretty simple ala MKG/young Shawn Marion
01-10-2013 05:16 PM
Memp400Kng Offline
All American

Someone should tell him that the wobble-head head fake isn't working.
01-10-2013 05:30 PM
Memp400Kng Offline
All American

I think Adonis has been focused way too much on "looking good for NBA scouts", rather than being the best player that the Tigers need him to be.

His biggest knock out of HS was his lack of a jumper/mid-range game. And lo and behold he come out this season shooting 3's and fade-away jumpers like he's being graded on it. Too bad for him (and the Tigers) that he hasn't been too successful.

I think Joe has been guilty of these NBA visions the past two years as well.... rather than playing his game he (and the coaching staff) has tried to make a PG out of him (even if it's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole). The knock on Joe out of HS was that he's a great scorer but too small to go pro unless as a PG (something he's not too good at).
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 05:37 PM by Memp400Kng.)
01-10-2013 05:33 PM
tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
It's just not happening. Not that it matters if i see it or not, but i haven't seen nba in him yet. I don't see the passion or the impressive numbers or anything. Just another college player that has disappeared in several games this year.

We all thought he would be the team leader this year, but he might be the 3rd or 4th most valuable player on the team instead.

I'm rooting for him, especially since he is a home town kid, but he has a long way to go.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 05:37 PM by tmoneyinmphs.)
01-10-2013 05:34 PM
Advertisement

BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
(01-10-2013 05:33 PM)Memp400Kng Wrote:  I think Adonis has been focused way too much on "looking good for NBA scouts",

Looks that way to me, too.
01-10-2013 05:36 PM
misplaced tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I disagree. He can create his own shot better than anyone on the team. He just can't make the shots.
01-10-2013 05:38 PM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(01-10-2013 05:38 PM)misplaced tiger Wrote:  I disagree. He can create his own shot better than anyone on the team. He just can't make the shots.

By that definition, any player in the country can "create their own shot". 03-lmfao 04-cheers
01-10-2013 05:43 PM
TigerBo Offline
All American

In fairness to his teammates.. his minutes need to be cut until he earns them back.
01-10-2013 06:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.