Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

C7 adding 5 teams per Fox meeting
Bookmark and Share
College Basketball Fan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: D1 Basketball
C7 adding 5 teams per Fox meeting
This has already been posted, but I wanted to make a new thread to make sure that the information in the title is noted.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...rs-sources

Quote:Representatives from the Catholic 7 held discussions in New York on Wednesday that included potential future commissioners of the league as well as its television deal, sources said.

At the meeting, Fox officials reaffirmed a $500 million rights fee offer that would be predicated on a 12-year deal with the Catholic 7 (DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova) adding five additional teams to the league.

Assuming the Fox bid wins out, it would keep the bulk of the games to air on Fox Sports 1, which will replace the Speed Channel in August. Sources say Fox's plan would be to sub-license rights to games it would not broadcast to other interested parties.

Under the current deal, which expires at the end of this season, the non-football schools in the Big East receive between $2 million and $3 million from the television contract. Due to what would likely be a lower fees split with the new teams in the conference, sources say the Catholic 7 could double their annual money on TV revenue as compared to what they were pulling in with the Big East.

Although the teams can leave the Big East without any exit fees if they leave at the end of June 2015, they hope to leave much sooner. With the TV deal up and Fox looking for content right away, it would make sense to try to get out at the end of this season, if that could be negotiated.

The names of potential commissioner candidates discussed weren't immediately available.

The league has hired TV consultant Neal Pilson and the law firm of Proskauer Rose to move things along.

Basically, if they want the cash they have to get to 12 teams. Reaffirms that crazy revenue split without adding better language.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 10:48 AM by College Basketball Fan.)
01-10-2013 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: C7 adding 5 teams per Fox meeting
(01-10-2013 10:45 AM)College Basketball Fan Wrote:  This has already been posted, but I wanted to make a new thread to make sure that the information in the title is noted.

Quote:Representatives from the Catholic 7 held discussions in New York on Wednesday that included potential future commissioners of the league as well as its television deal, sources said.

At the meeting, Fox officials reaffirmed a $500 million rights fee offer that would be predicated on a 12-year deal with the Catholic 7 (DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's, Villanova) adding five additional teams to the league.

Assuming the Fox bid wins out, it would keep the bulk of the games to air on Fox Sports 1, which will replace the Speed Channel in August. Sources say Fox's plan would be to sub-license rights to games it would not broadcast to other interested parties.

Under the current deal, which expires at the end of this season, the non-football schools in the Big East receive between $2 million and $3 million from the television contract. Due to what would likely be a lower fees split with the new teams in the conference, sources say the Catholic 7 could double their annual money on TV revenue as compared to what they were pulling in with the Big East.

Although the teams can leave the Big East without any exit fees if they leave at the end of June 2015, they hope to leave much sooner. With the TV deal up and Fox looking for content right away, it would make sense to try to get out at the end of this season, if that could be negotiated.

The names of potential commissioner candidates discussed weren't immediately available.

The league has hired TV consultant Neal Pilson and the law firm of Proskauer Rose to move things along.

Basically, if they want the cash they have to get to 12 teams. Reaffirms that crazy revenue split without adding better language.

Seems interesting that only ESPN is reporting that.
01-10-2013 11:54 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(01-10-2013 11:54 AM)nathanhm Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 10:45 AM)College Basketball Fan Wrote:  This has already been posted, but I wanted to make a new thread to make sure that the information in the title is noted.

Seems interesting that only ESPN is reporting that.

Exactly, these are direct competitors with Fox. They have an interest in this story. Places like SI do not. I haven't even seem tweets or local beat writers mention this. I'm calling hogwash on this whole thing.

It wasn't even in their original article. They had to go back and put it in like they forgot that that was the BS they were trying to spin.
01-10-2013 12:04 PM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
(01-10-2013 12:04 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Places like SI do not.

They don't? There's an SI TV show on NBC Sports. They're both Time Warner Companies.
01-10-2013 12:24 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(01-10-2013 12:24 PM)JPSchmack Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 12:04 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Places like SI do not.

They don't? There's an SI TV show on NBC Sports. They're both Time Warner Companies.

NBC is not Time Warner. CNN, TBS, and TNT, though, are Time Warner companies related to SI.
01-10-2013 12:37 PM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-10-2013 12:37 PM)orangefan Wrote:  NBC is not Time Warner. CNN, TBS, and TNT, though, are Time Warner companies related to SI.

Ah, so they just signed a contract with NBC Sports.
01-10-2013 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Sactowndog Offline
All American

I Root For: Fresno State Texas A&M

They are still talking about lower rights fees. Do you think the Catholics will try to cram down the rights fees for the new invitees and if so what do you think they say.

My guess is the top teams would say no thank you, and talk about banding together themselves after the Big East took whomever would join.
01-10-2013 02:59 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-10-2013 02:59 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  

They are still talking about lower rights fees. Do you think the Catholics will try to cram down the rights fees for the new invitees and if so what do you think they say.

My guess is the top teams would say no thank you, and talk about banding together themselves after the Big East took whomever would join.

Why has no other sports writer reported such an idea? It really smells fishy to me. Until someone other than tweedle dee (Rovell) and Tweedle dumb (McMurphy) I'm not buying it.
01-10-2013 03:12 PM
MUAvalanche Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-10-2013 02:59 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  They are still talking about lower rights fees. Do you think the Catholics will try to cram down the rights fees for the new invitees and if so what do you think they say.

Suppose, after a formal valuation determines the value of the BE name, the C7 buy the BE name, rights, MSG, etc. from UC, UConn and USF for $36 million and spend another $12 million organizing the conference, paying attorneys, hiring personnel, negotiating, etc., that's $48 million out of pocket of the C7 to be the BE. Then, the C7 decide to grow this new BE to 12. Take $48 million divided by 12 teams , or $4 million each. In business, those who come in after frequently pay more than those who were there on the front end, so bump the value to $5 million for each new school ($4 million for their share of the value paid out to date and $1 million as an "entry fee"). The new schools can pay this in a lump sum, and get immediate equal TV distributions, or they can buy in over time with a lower conference payout until the entire $5 million is covered.

If this is the scenario that results in a lower payout, I have no problem with it. If the C7 are trying to "big time" the new conference mates, then I have an issue.
01-10-2013 04:29 PM
Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
The A10 schools are going to have a million dollar buyout to leave within the next two years, that would reduce that calculation.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 04:46 PM by Title.)
01-10-2013 04:45 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(01-10-2013 04:29 PM)MUAvalanche Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 02:59 PM)Sactowndog Wrote:  They are still talking about lower rights fees. Do you think the Catholics will try to cram down the rights fees for the new invitees and if so what do you think they say.

Suppose, after a formal valuation determines the value of the BE name, the C7 buy the BE name, rights, MSG, etc. from UC, UConn and USF for $36 million and spend another $12 million organizing the conference, paying attorneys, hiring personnel, negotiating, etc., that's $48 million out of pocket of the C7 to be the BE. Then, the C7 decide to grow this new BE to 12. Take $48 million divided by 12 teams , or $4 million each. In business, those who come in after frequently pay more than those who were there on the front end, so bump the value to $5 million for each new school ($4 million for their share of the value paid out to date and $1 million as an "entry fee"). The new schools can pay this in a lump sum, and get immediate equal TV distributions, or they can buy in over time with a lower conference payout until the entire $5 million is covered.

If this is the scenario that results in a lower payout, I have no problem with it. If the C7 are trying to "big time" the new conference mates, then I have an issue.

Are you also considering all the exit money that still needs to be divided by the Big East and the NCAA credits? I'm sure that is a nice chunk of change for the C7.
01-10-2013 04:51 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
The article in the providence journal said if there was to be unequal payouts that it wouldn't be forever. The new members would gradually get more each year.
01-10-2013 04:51 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-10-2013 04:51 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  The article in the providence journal said if there was to be unequal payouts that it wouldn't be forever. The new members would gradually get more each year.

That sounds right. That happens in every conference with new members. Rovell is either a moron or a terrible journalist. Possibly both.
01-10-2013 05:11 PM
MUAvalanche Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-10-2013 04:51 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  

Are you also considering all the exit money that still needs to be divided by the Big East and the NCAA credits? I'm sure that is a nice chunk of change for the C7.

I am assuming that each school that buys in would be asked to cover their 1/12 share of (1) BE name and MSG value as determined by the cost paid to UC, UConn and USF, as they become a part-owner of such value going forward; and (2) Start-up costs. There may or may not be an additional kicker to buy-in as an entry fee. I assumed there was in my example.

I don't assume that any new school would participate in exit money or NCAA credits. Rather, the C7 would use that to fund the BE name acquisition and the new conference start-up costs, and pocket the remainder.
01-10-2013 05:20 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-10-2013 05:11 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 04:51 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  The article in the providence journal said if there was to be unequal payouts that it wouldn't be forever. The new members would gradually get more each year.

That sounds right. That happens in every conference with new members. Rovell is either a moron or a terrible journalist. Possibly both.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sports...twork.html

"The current Big East basketball schools could earn as much as $5 million initially and cut new members in at a lower rate that gradually increases over time." COGS COGS

Everybody friends again?

Also, makes a lot of sense that the journalist in Providence gets the real story.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 05:39 PM by johnbragg.)
01-10-2013 05:38 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU

NCAA tourney units accrue to conferences. The C7 is electing to leave (rather than dissolve) the conference to which the tourney units are attached. Why would the remnants of the Big East hand over the naming rights, MSG and any kind of portion of accrued units or exit fees? Doesn't seem like a rational act...
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 06:01 PM by thegalen.)
01-10-2013 06:00 PM
Advertisement

JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-10-2013 06:00 PM)thegalen Wrote:  NCAA tourney units accrue to conferences. The C7 is electing to leave (rather than dissolve) the conference to which the tourney units are attached. Why would the remnants of the Big East hand over the naming rights, MSG and any kind of portion of accrued units or exit fees? Doesn't seem like a rational act...

They're going to negotiate the units in good faith because an amicable split makes more sense for both sides.

It's not like Cincy, UConn and USF are going to get into it with the C7 over the units the C7 earned... when they still have SU, Pitt, WVU, ND, and Louisville's units coming in.
01-10-2013 06:28 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(01-10-2013 05:20 PM)MUAvalanche Wrote:  

I am assuming that each school that buys in would be asked to cover their 1/12 share of (1) BE name and MSG value as determined by the cost paid to UC, UConn and USF, as they become a part-owner of such value going forward; and (2) Start-up costs. There may or may not be an additional kicker to buy-in as an entry fee. I assumed there was in my example.

I don't assume that any new school would participate in exit money or NCAA credits. Rather, the C7 would use that to fund the BE name acquisition and the new conference start-up costs, and pocket the remainder.

Yea, I don't see why the new members should be forced to pay more than an equal share of "start-up costs". There should be no additional entrance fee. If not for these schools potentially joining, the Big East would have no chance of receiving a large, new tv deal and doubling what they are currently making.
01-10-2013 06:29 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(01-10-2013 06:29 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Yea, I don't see why the new members should be forced to pay more than an equal share of "start-up costs". There should be no additional entrance fee. If not for these schools potentially joining, the Big East would have no chance of receiving a large, new tv deal and doubling what they are currently making.

Well on the flip side, without the C7 no way can the 5 new members make almost 10x's what they make now.
01-10-2013 06:47 PM
Roader Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Dayton
(01-10-2013 06:47 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 06:29 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 04:29 PM)MUAvalanche Wrote:  Suppose, after a formal valuation determines the value of the BE name, the C7 buy the BE name, rights, MSG, etc. from UC, UConn and USF for $36 million and spend another $12 million organizing the conference, paying attorneys, hiring personnel, negotiating, etc., that's $48 million out of pocket of the C7 to be the BE. Then, the C7 decide to grow this new BE to 12. Take $48 million divided by 12 teams , or $4 million each. In business, those who come in after frequently pay more than those who were there on the front end, so bump the value to $5 million for each new school ($4 million for their share of the value paid out to date and $1 million as an "entry fee"). The new schools can pay this in a lump sum, and get immediate equal TV distributions, or they can buy in over time with a lower conference payout until the entire $5 million is covered.

Well on the flip side, without the C7 no way can the 5 new members make almost 10x's what they make now.

Therefore, whether it be 10, 12, or whatever, they should split equally. If that takes 5 years due to name rights, etc then that's fine. But all schools will pay some form of exit fee
01-10-2013 07:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.