Bookmark and Share
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Brian Kelly Interviews With Eagles
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2013/...th-eagles/

Report: Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles

01/09/13 at 9:45pm by dclark0Comments

Notre Dame head coach and former head coach of the UC Bearcats Brian Kelly has interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles for their coaching vacancy, ESPN.com’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter are reporting, citing league sources.

From the ESPN.com story:

After Monday’s loss to Alabama, Brian Kelly said: “We’ve got to get physically stronger, continue close the gap there. Just overall, we need to see what it looks like. Our guys clearly know what it looks like now — a championship football team. That’s back-to-back national champions. That’s what it looks like. That’s what you measure yourself against there. It’s pretty clear across the board what we have to do.” (Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

Kelly met with the Eagles on Tuesday, and there was mutual interest after the interview, according to league sources. Kelly left the country after meeting with the Eagles and could not be reached for comment.

The Eagles and Kelly have agreed to revisit talks when he returns this weekend, according to league sources.

Philadelphia has been seeking a replacement for longtime coach Andy Reid, who was fired one day after the Eagles completed a disappointing 4-12 season.

Kelly denied having any interest in an NFL coaching job this past Saturday, claiming that leaving Notre Dame “is not an option. I don’t even think about it.”

“I think from my perspective I’ve got the best job in the country, NFL, college, high school, whatever,” Kelly said Saturday. “I just look at the place that I’m at and thankful for the opportunity that I have.”

Kelly coached the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 regular season and an appearance in the BCS title game. Notre Dame was routed by Alabama, 42-14.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 11:18 PM by BearcatsUC.)
01-09-2013 11:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Brian Kelly Interviews With Eagles

01-10-2013 03:20 AM
R03jsniper Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC and the Reds
No surprise here

01-10-2013 10:20 AM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
After the beating they took in the first two quarters of the title game, I half expected him to interview with the Browns at halftime.

01-10-2013 12:41 PM
Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
(01-09-2013 11:18 PM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2013/...th-eagles/

Report: Brian Kelly interviews with Eagles

01/09/13 at 9:45pm by dclark0Comments

Notre Dame head coach and former head coach of the UC Bearcats Brian Kelly has interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles for their coaching vacancy, ESPN.com’s Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter are reporting, citing league sources.

From the ESPN.com story:

After Monday’s loss to Alabama, Brian Kelly said: “We’ve got to get physically stronger, continue close the gap there. Just overall, we need to see what it looks like. Our guys clearly know what it looks like now — a championship football team. That’s back-to-back national champions. That’s what it looks like. That’s what you measure yourself against there. It’s pretty clear across the board what we have to do.” (Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

Kelly met with the Eagles on Tuesday, and there was mutual interest after the interview, according to league sources. Kelly left the country after meeting with the Eagles and could not be reached for comment.

The Eagles and Kelly have agreed to revisit talks when he returns this weekend, according to league sources.

Philadelphia has been seeking a replacement for longtime coach Andy Reid, who was fired one day after the Eagles completed a disappointing 4-12 season.

Kelly denied having any interest in an NFL coaching job this past Saturday, claiming that leaving Notre Dame “is not an option. I don’t even think about it.”

“I think from my perspective I’ve got the best job in the country, NFL, college, high school, whatever,” Kelly said Saturday. “I just look at the place that I’m at and thankful for the opportunity that I have.”

Kelly coached the Fighting Irish to a 12-0 regular season and an appearance in the BCS title game. Notre Dame was routed by Alabama, 42-14.

I think we've heard these quotes before.

01-11-2013 01:02 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I hope he goes...in fact if he doesn't leave ND for an NFL team one day, I will be shocked. He's Bobby Petrino v2.0.

I love the man personally....34-6, two bcs bowls, national rankings and is responsible for coaching UC to the greatest year I can remember and providing me as a fan with some THRILLING seasons/wins. He left like a snake, but that doesn't erase the good memories he created for me. Sure I giggled when he got whooped in the national title game, but all in all I wish him the best.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 08:19 AM by Bearcats#1.)
01-11-2013 08:19 AM
Advertisement

nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-11-2013 08:19 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I hope he goes...in fact if he doesn't leave ND for an NFL team one day, I will be shocked. He's Bobby Petrino v2.0.

I love the man personally....34-6, two bcs bowls, national rankings and is responsible for coaching UC to the greatest year I can remember and providing me as a fan with some THRILLING seasons/wins. He left like a snake, but that doesn't erase the good memories he created for me. Sure I giggled when he got whooped in the national title game, but all in all I wish him the best.

A bad ND team is good for UC because of recruiting so I will never root for them no matter who the coach is. But your sentiments are exactly how I feel about Brian Kelly. For three years I finally was able to experience what fans from other traditional powers experience ..... winning, big time bowls, sold out crowds, tailgating, incredible game day atmospheres, the best away game sports trip I've ever taken (Sugar Bowl in New Orleans on New Years eve!), etc etc etc. That enjoyment far outweighed the negatives around his departure.

01-11-2013 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-11-2013 08:32 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 08:19 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I hope he goes...in fact if he doesn't leave ND for an NFL team one day, I will be shocked. He's Bobby Petrino v2.0.

A bad ND team is good for UC because of recruiting so I will never root for them no matter who the coach is. But your sentiments are exactly how I feel about Brian Kelly. For three years I finally was able to experience what fans from other traditional powers experience ..... winning, big time bowls, sold out crowds, tailgating, incredible game day atmospheres, the best away game sports trip I've ever taken (Sugar Bowl in New Orleans on New Years eve!), etc etc etc. That enjoyment far outweighed the negatives around his departure.

I wholeheartedly agree with the exception that I don't think ND has any real effect at all on our recruiting one way or the other.
It seems most are pissed at BK because of the way the team found out he was leaving. I think that is more on ND's head because didn't they rush a press release out about his hiring before he had a chance to tell his players?

01-11-2013 09:30 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
BK is a genius. What he did here was amazing. He left like an a$$ but he was never long for UC or anywhere else for that matter. The guy is more detached than most coaches (which is saying something given how disloyal most coaches are). I don't think he's particularly close to players let alone institutions. BK is also especially egotistical. It is about him and not really about a program or a legacy. I think he will certainly move on to the NFL at some point. He's very smart. He knows that he got very lucky this year to get to that title game and that it will be very very hard to compete for national titles at ND. He may view this as a good time to jump having gotten them to a title game and knowing that even if he ultimately fails in the NFL, he'll be able to go back to a top notch college job after that ala Pete Carroll. Whereas if he proceeds to be decent but not great at ND from here on out, he may not get an NFL chance going forward. Lastly, he just seems to have the personna of an NFL coach moreso than other college coaches. I think he takes an NFL job if one is offered. Would be fun to see the ND fans b!tch and moan if he dumped them.

01-11-2013 09:32 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I view Kelly has the ultimate hired gun and I see nothing wrong with that. Go 12-0 at UC, two conference championships move on to Notre Dame and take them to the title game then off to the NFL. He probably feels he maxed out at every situation and is looking for a new challenge.

01-11-2013 09:42 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-11-2013 09:30 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  I wholeheartedly agree with the exception that I don't think ND has any real effect at all on our recruiting one way or the other.

Really??

Andrew Hendrix, Luke Massa, Charlie Fiessinger, Jarret Grace, Alex Welch

That's just off the top of my head of Cincinnatians who were all recruited by UC and are playing for ND. If you don't think ND recruits the greater Cincy area hard, especially the GCL, then you're very mistaken.

I think UC fans would've love to have seen Kyle Rudolph wearing a Bearcat uniform.

01-11-2013 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(01-11-2013 10:39 AM)nachoman91 Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 09:30 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  I wholeheartedly agree with the exception that I don't think ND has any real effect at all on our recruiting one way or the other.

Really??

That's just off the top of my head of Cincinnatians who were all recruited by UC and are playing for ND. If you don't think ND recruits the greater Cincy area hard, especially the GCL, then you're very mistaken.

I think UC fans would've love to have seen Kyle Rudolph wearing a Bearcat uniform.

Right. As if it's a zero sum game....UC or ND. Luke was the only one we were in on. Whether we care to admit it or not, UC hasn't achieved entrance in to the highest tier of recruiting status. That's not to say we can't get there, it's just my evaluation of the state of affairs

mc

01-11-2013 10:52 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
And he was only offered to help get Matt James.

Rudolph was never going to Cincinnati, ND or not.

01-11-2013 10:57 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(01-11-2013 10:52 AM)marcuscan Wrote:  

Really??

Right. As if it's a zero sum game....UC or ND. Luke was the only one we were in on. Whether we care to admit it or not, UC hasn't achieved entrance in to the highest tier of recruiting status. That's not to say we can't get there, it's just my evaluation of the state of affairs

mc

If memory serves me correctly, I believe we had a commitment from Alex Welch at one point.

01-11-2013 11:03 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm almost positive you're incorrect and he's said to be one of the biggest ND die-hards in the history of the world by people I know who knew him. His recruitment was over when they offered.

01-11-2013 11:10 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(01-11-2013 09:32 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  BK is a genius. What he did here was amazing. He left like an a$$ but he was never long for UC or anywhere else for that matter. The guy is more detached than most coaches (which is saying something given how disloyal most coaches are). I don't think he's particularly close to players let alone institutions. BK is also especially egotistical. It is about him and not really about a program or a legacy. I think he will certainly move on to the NFL at some point. He's very smart. He knows that he got very lucky this year to get to that title game and that it will be very very hard to compete for national titles at ND. He may view this as a good time to jump having gotten them to a title game and knowing that even if he ultimately fails in the NFL, he'll be able to go back to a top notch college job after that ala Pete Carroll. Whereas if he proceeds to be decent but not great at ND from here on out, he may not get an NFL chance going forward. Lastly, he just seems to have the personna of an NFL coach moreso than other college coaches. I think he takes an NFL job if one is offered. Would be fun to see the ND fans b!tch and moan if he dumped them.

That's along the lines of how I see it although just about every coach leaves like an ass these days in part because they can't control information.

Regardless of how his recruits rate (and I think I heard ND has this year's #1 class), I also doubt he's a big fan of the recruiting experience and kissing up to hs kids and the (for lack of a better term) parenting side of coaching. I can definitely see him preferring a more professional approach to the game.

01-11-2013 11:47 AM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

ND doesn't have the #1 class on any of the big four recruiting sites (I feel dirty counting ESPN). They've got a Top 10 class for sure, Top 5 class maybe. Just assume Alabama will have the #1 class at the end of the day.

01-11-2013 11:52 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(01-11-2013 11:10 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  I'm almost positive you're incorrect and he's said to be one of the biggest ND die-hards in the history of the world by people I know who knew him. His recruitment was over when they offered.

You're right...just checked. I mixed him up with the other Big TE of that class from Cincinnati, Alex Smith out of Lakota West, who commited here, then decommited and ended up in Lexington when it was all said and done. Always mixed those two up, honest mistake

01-11-2013 11:54 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(01-11-2013 11:47 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 09:32 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  BK is a genius. What he did here was amazing. He left like an a$$ but he was never long for UC or anywhere else for that matter. The guy is more detached than most coaches (which is saying something given how disloyal most coaches are). I don't think he's particularly close to players let alone institutions. BK is also especially egotistical. It is about him and not really about a program or a legacy. I think he will certainly move on to the NFL at some point. He's very smart. He knows that he got very lucky this year to get to that title game and that it will be very very hard to compete for national titles at ND. He may view this as a good time to jump having gotten them to a title game and knowing that even if he ultimately fails in the NFL, he'll be able to go back to a top notch college job after that ala Pete Carroll. Whereas if he proceeds to be decent but not great at ND from here on out, he may not get an NFL chance going forward. Lastly, he just seems to have the personna of an NFL coach moreso than other college coaches. I think he takes an NFL job if one is offered. Would be fun to see the ND fans b!tch and moan if he dumped them.

That's along the lines of how I see it although just about every coach leaves like an ass these days in part because they can't control information.

Regardless of how his recruits rate (and I think I heard ND has this year's #1 class), I also doubt he's a big fan of the recruiting experience and kissing up to hs kids and the (for lack of a better term) parenting side of coaching. I can definitely see him preferring a more professional approach to the game.

Kelly definitely runs his program like a business and I agree the professional aspect of the NFL would definitely be appealing to him (and the extra $$$). There's definitely advantages and disadvantages of both the college game and the NFL that I'm sure he's weighing in his head right now.

01-11-2013 11:55 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats

Really??

Yeah, really because despite ND being relatively sucky except this past season, we haven't beaten them for a single recruit, so ND's success on the field has no significant effect on our recruiting one way or the other.

01-11-2013 12:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.