Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Quick Question
Bookmark and Share
stAtecamera13 Offline
Beltbbs stAte Football INsider

I Root For: Arkansas State
Quick Question
Do any of your local stations broadcast live games of your university? this is out there for all Non-AQ and FCS that lurk this board. I'm doing a little research. Thanks in Advance.
01-09-2013 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Quick Question
(01-09-2013 12:25 AM)stAtecamera13 Wrote:  Do any of your local stations broadcast live games of your university? this is out there for all Non-AQ and FCS that lurk this board. I'm doing a little research. Thanks in Advance.
We don't have any local stations. Stuck between Austin and San Antonio the indy stations do not carry anything TXST. (UT and UTSA respectively). Then there's The Longhorn Network....so, no.
We do get our post game recap show on the Austin Indy station but that's about it.
I don't see us getting any love anytime soon unless we're gunning for the NC.
01-09-2013 12:32 AM
troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
Troy University's tv station, TrojanVision, airs past games every Friday night. At least they used to.
01-09-2013 12:36 AM
mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
Bowling Green stations will sometimes televise games. They're few and far between, but I know our Alabama game was televised here.
01-09-2013 12:36 AM
Rojogrande Offline
1st String

I Root For: WKU
Bowling Greens local PBS station WKYU airs every basketball game. All of our football games were televised this year as well. With ESPN3 or ESPNU picking up every conference game.
01-09-2013 12:50 AM
stAtecamera13 Offline

(01-09-2013 12:50 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  Bowling Greens local PBS station WKYU airs every basketball game. All of our football games were televised this year as well. With ESPN3 or ESPNU picking up every conference game.
was this live though? because that sounds like a university owned station.
01-09-2013 12:58 AM
Advertisement

mathenis89 Offline
Sucks at NCAA Football 14

I Root For: WKU, Miami, OSU
(01-09-2013 12:50 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  Bowling Greens local PBS station WKYU airs every basketball game. All of our football games were televised this year as well. With ESPN3 or ESPNU picking up every conference game.

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware of that.

Good info to have.
01-09-2013 01:12 AM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2013 12:58 AM)stAtecamera13 Wrote:  

Yes live. But it is a cable/on air station. All WKU bb games have been broadcast over the past 5 or so years
01-09-2013 01:13 AM
stAtecamera13 Offline

(01-09-2013 01:13 AM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  

Yes live. But it is a cable/on air station. All WKU bb games have been broadcast over the past 5 or so years

is it owned by the university? is it all games or just home games? do you guys have a RTV department?
01-09-2013 01:44 AM
exflash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
(01-09-2013 12:25 AM)stAtecamera13 Wrote:  Do any of your local stations broadcast live games of your university? this is out there for all Non-AQ and FCS that lurk this board. I'm doing a little research. Thanks in Advance.
----I think that Louisiana had 2 games by the local tv channel----When I look back nearly every game was televised by some network!!! the local broadcast has to keep the attendance down I would think --well I know in the bad weather games that we had!!!
01-09-2013 01:45 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
I believe all but one of our games were broadcast, in some form or fashion, but I don't consider them local (ESPN affiliates), except the two games we had on TLN.
01-09-2013 01:55 AM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

If I'm not mistaken WKU has a "network" with the games carried on a few TV stations in Ky. I don't know how many is on the network now but at one point there were at least 7 stations through out Ky that carried the WKU games live.

WKU also use to have a deal with FoxSports (up till this year when the out going fatman WW screwed it up) that showed all of WKU's home games and most away games...with a possible 70 million viewers
01-09-2013 02:01 AM
stAtecamera13 Offline

(01-09-2013 02:01 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

If I'm not mistaken WKU has a "network" with the games carried on a few TV stations in Ky. I don't know how many is on the network now but at one point there were at least 7 stations through out Ky that carried the WKU games live.

WKU also use to have a deal with FoxSports (up till this year when the out going fatman WW screwed it up) that showed all of WKU's home games and most away games...with a possible 70 million viewers

well the topic actually started on the den about you guys having your own satellite and production trucks. now i don't know the particulars of the FoxCS deal but i do know that the same truck and crew that was in Jonesboro shooting the ASU WKU game when i was a freshman was here last week and were the ones doing the ESPN3 feed. so do you happen to know if WKU does in fact own the production truck?
01-09-2013 02:41 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2013 02:41 AM)stAtecamera13 Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 02:01 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

well the topic actually started on the den about you guys having your own satellite and production trucks. now i don't know the particulars of the FoxCS deal but i do know that the same truck and crew that was in Jonesboro shooting the ASU WKU game when i was a freshman was here last week and were the ones doing the ESPN3 feed. so do you happen to know if WKU does in fact own the production truck?

Yes, HSSN belongs to WKU.

I know since the early 80s Western had their home games carried by WKYU or WBKO (local ABC ). First started out tape delayed on WBKO then moved to WKYU. Since 2000 live on WKYU and produced by HSSN (Hilltopper Sports Satellite Network) which is nearly entirely staffed by students.

When HSSN Debuted in 2000 Western had the largest coverage area of any sports network in the southeast with the potential to reach 13 million homes.

I know the year 2000 doesn't seem that long ago but back then there wasn't many schools that had their own satellite uplink truck or the ability to produce games.

In 2007 or 2008 WKU made a deal with foxsports/CSSN and Directv to carry all the basketball games produced by Hilltopper Sports Satellite Network. With that came the potential to reach 70 million homes. That lasted up till this year when the fat man (WW) made the SBC deal with espn and it killed our deal with FoxSports/CSSN/Directv.

So instead of clicking on a remote to get every WKU on TV our fans now have to watch on espn3..unless you are local and can pick up WKYU.
01-09-2013 03:44 AM
Dudleytop Offline
Bench Warmer

To answer the question: yes the University, through HSSN, owns their own production truck. This is simply part of a larger academic program that started in the 70's. We have PBS radio (with repeator towers that cover most of KY and a portion of TN), a PBS TV station and a full print and broadcasting journalism School. Students have played a major role in productions well over 40 years. Our TV productions, at home and on the road, are simulcast in conjunction with the radio broadcasts (via a commercial radio network). Except for ESPN's own broadcasts, all ESPN3 games (men's and women's) are produced by our own students and staff.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 08:07 AM by Dudleytop.)
01-09-2013 08:00 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK

Liberty University broadcast sporting events live through The Liberty Chanel as well a regional affiliates. I thinkI remember reading around 33,000,000 homes have access to watch Liberty with the intent to grow that number.
01-09-2013 09:05 AM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

(01-09-2013 01:44 AM)stAtecamera13 Wrote:  

is it owned by the university? is it all games or just home games? do you guys have a RTV department?

Where do you think this dork came from?

http://www.kait8.com/story/4290353/ryan-vaughan
01-09-2013 12:46 PM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
In football UL has a network of stations in the Monroe, Lake Charles, New Orleans, and Lafayette. Our stations pretty much cover the state.

In football we have an agreement with Cox to broadcast TV games not picked up by the Sun Belt or ESPN. That footprint covers about five hundred thousand subscribers.

Our women sports have radio, women basketball has numerous games covered by local radio, the women basketball does not have all their road games covered, but some,and all softball games are covered home and away.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 12:59 PM by CajunExpress.)
01-09-2013 12:56 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(01-09-2013 12:56 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  In football UL has a network of stations in the Monroe, Lake Charles, New Orleans, and Lafayette. Our stations pretty much cover the state.

In football we have an agreement with Cox to broadcast TV games not picked up by the Sun Belt or ESPN. That footprint covers about five hundred thousand subscribers.

Our women sports have radio, women basketball has numerous games covered by local radio, the women basketball does not have all their road games covered, but some,and all softball games are covered home and away.

Express, I think you numbers are off a little. The Acadiana area is over 500,000 people alone. The Cox coverage, which is called the "Ragin' Cajun Network" broadcast in the Acadiana Area, Baton Rouge and North Shore area. I don't know if that reaches down in New Orleans, but that is clearly over 1.5 mil people.
01-09-2013 01:47 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(01-09-2013 01:47 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 12:56 PM)CajunExpress Wrote:  In football UL has a network of stations in the Monroe, Lake Charles, New Orleans, and Lafayette. Our stations pretty much cover the state.

Express, I think you numbers are off a little. The Acadiana area is over 500,000 people alone. The Cox coverage, which is called the "Ragin' Cajun Network" broadcast in the Acadiana Area, Baton Rouge and North Shore area. I don't know if that reaches down in New Orleans, but that is clearly over 1.5 mil people.

We have radio not only in Monroe, but Ruston and Shreveport as well.

Z
01-09-2013 02:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.