Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How can you be a Catholic conference and not have the most famous Catholic School
Bookmark and Share
10miners Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTEP
How can you be a Catholic conference and not have the most famous Catholic School
Notre Dame???
12-31-2012 02:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
RE: How can you be a Catholic conference and not have the most famous Catholic School
Because Notre Dame said we were not worthy enough for them so they left us high and dry. Unfortunately, Notre Dame is in a position to call the shots...well call the shots on what they feel is best for them, can't really do anything about that.
12-31-2012 02:25 AM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
RE: How can you be a Catholic conference and not have the most famous Catholic School
(12-31-2012 02:13 AM)10miners Wrote:  Notre Dame???

This is why we need a mod.
12-31-2012 02:39 AM
courtjester Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNC, Marquette
I'm not sure that this is a Catholic conference per se.

12-31-2012 03:48 AM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I don't think that the administrations are looking at this as forming a "Catholic league." I think it's continuing as an elite basketball (and other sports) league.

That's part of why I think VCU (large public school) is more likely than some people think. We don't have Notre DAme, we're not inviting Fordham, etc.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 07:20 PM by johnbragg.)
12-31-2012 07:19 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I am hearing the BE is staying at 10 teams anyway. 07-coffee3
06-25-2014 07:27 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Because ND and BC play football
06-25-2014 09:58 PM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
You Guys will be Fine. Just wanted to Say Thank You Big East for the Great years We shared in the Conference. This is Our final Weekend in the Remnants of the Old Big East, The AAC. Tuesday We embark into the ACC and Look forward to Many Years of Stability in the conference. Had You Guys not invited Us years ago it could have been a different turnout. Too Bad the Old Beast couldn't fixed the issues that came between the Football and Basketball schools. There were legendary games and Moments in the Beast. Great Luck going forward.
06-28-2014 03:59 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(06-28-2014 03:59 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  You Guys will be Fine. Just wanted to Say Thank You Big East for the Great years We shared in the Conference. This is Our final Weekend in the Remnants of the Old Big East, The AAC. Tuesday We embark into the ACC and Look forward to Many Years of Stability in the conference. Had You Guys not invited Us years ago it could have been a different turnout. Too Bad the Old Beast couldn't fixed the issues that came between the Football and Basketball schools. There were legendary games and Moments in the Beast. Great Luck going forward.

its a shame it had to come to this. I enjoyed having Louisville and the others in the BE. It's now time for the next chapter as thye say. Lets hope it works oout for the best.
FWIW i think Louisville handled this whole "situation" with class unlike some of the others former member sof the BE
Good Luck Cards and go show the rest of the ACC how to play ball
06-30-2014 10:16 PM
X-man Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Xavier

Perhaps you didn't know this about Notre Dame, but they play football. Last I heard, the BE is a basketball conference. Idiot.
07-01-2014 10:11 AM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats

Yet another UTEP fan showing the value of a UTEP "education."
07-05-2014 09:54 AM
LouPower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Saint Louis
(07-05-2014 09:54 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

UTEP has fans?
07-05-2014 02:38 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(07-05-2014 02:38 PM)LouPower Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 09:54 AM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

UTEP has fans?

Three... Four on a good day.
07-06-2014 12:01 AM
Advertisement

Boyee Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: DePaul
(12-31-2012 07:19 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I don't think that the administrations are looking at this as forming a "Catholic league." I think it's continuing as an elite basketball (and other sports) league.

That's part of why I think VCU (large public school) is more likely than some people think. We don't have Notre Dame, we're not inviting Fordham, etc.

The the founders of the original Big East invited Rutgers (Big Ten) and Holy Cross (Patriot League) and both declined their invites, so the Big East invited Seton Hall instead of Rutgers. Also, Butler University is non-sectarian, but was founded by members of the Disciples of Christ/Christian Church. I don't see anything negative about being a majority Catholic conference. I would much rather have had Notre Dame instead of Butler, but they committed themselves to the Atlantic Coast Conference. All current Big East Conference members are private institutions, so I doubt Virginia Commonwealth would be added as it is a large public university. If they were adding a Virginia school, it would likely be Richmond. I think they cannot go without some eastern expansion eventually or it will be like the Big Midwest Conference. I think Duquesne University of the Holy Spirit (Pittsburgh), Siena College (near Albany, NY), Niagara University (Vincentian like DePaul and St. John's), and Canisius College (Buffalo, NY) and Iona College (near NYC) should be considered if they add eastern schools. I think if the go to 12 they should add Saint Louis and Duquesne and if they go to 14 they should add Siena and Niagara. If Georgetown really wants a member in the near area Loyola University Maryland would be a good add.
08-12-2014 09:45 PM
Boyee Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: DePaul
(12-31-2012 02:25 AM)ivet Wrote:  Because Notre Dame said we were not worthy enough for them so they left us high and dry. Unfortunately, Notre Dame is in a position to call the shots...well call the shots on what they feel is best for them, can't really do anything about that.
Butler University is non-sectarian and not religiously affiliated.

Notre Dame is in the Atlantic Coast Conference for all sports but football (they are Independent) but must play 5 ACC schools in football each season, ruining some historic Notre Dame rivalries. They are one of 3 ACC schools in a state that does not touch the Atlantic Coast. (Notre Dame in Indiana, Louisville in Kentucky, and Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania)
09-09-2014 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.