Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on different networks
Bookmark and Share
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Thoughts on different networks
1. ESPN, the Mothership. Between the ACC and SEC total packages plus a hefty slice of Big 10, PAC and Big 12, plus lower-tier leagues desperate to get on ESPN-U, I think ESPN replaces their 90 Big East games pretty comfortably.

Is that still true after the SEC Network launches, in partnership with ESPN, and if the digital ACC Network (powered by ESPN™) start up and transfer the lower-level SEC and ACC games to their platforms?

2. CBS Over The Air. Historic Big East partner, but going forward, this isn't that Big East. Syracuse-UConn, Notre Dame-Louisville and Pitt-West Virginia don't live here anymore. They might sublicense a game or two, but won't be a big factor in our strategy.

3. Fox Networks. Already active with RSNs and with college football OTA and on FX, FoxSports1 launches in 2014. According to media reports, the leading bidder at $3M per team.

FoxSports1 figures to have MLB, Pac-12 and Big 12 sports, UFC, European soccer, maybe NASCAR, so not a bad "neighborhood" to be in.

I figure that, since Fox has a finger in both pies, national cable and regional sports networks, they're buying the whole package, planning to put tier one/two games on FoxSports1 and tier three games on local RSNs, plus having them available across the country as out-of-market filler.

4. NBC Sports Net. Lotta talk, lotta big talk about how Comcast's billion-dollar wallet is just about lay the smack down on ESPN. So far, they haven't really showed anyone the money, so I think they stay a very low-level player in the game. The network for conferences and sports without good options.

NBC Comcast also owns a lot of RSNs, but I don't see that as making them a good partner for C-7 basketball--exposure on a "real" national channel is primary, dollars are secondary, and ability to syndicate nationally is probably not on the list.

5. Turner Sports. Logically, they're a good fit for the Big East--it's national cable, every college basketball fan knows where to find TBS and TNT, they have announcers and crews sitting around twiddling their thumbs during the regular season. I'm not sure how interested they are--does the C-7 League by itself justify bumping those expensive Law and Order reruns? They were probably more interested before the split.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 10:44 AM by johnbragg.)
12-29-2012 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Thoughts on different networks
I've always wondered if Fox would get into the hoops business for network games. it would make a lot of sense- imagine on Sunday, they're airing NFC championship at 4:30, have a hoops game starting at 1pm leading into the game.

One thing that would impact to some degree- NASCAR.
01-02-2013 12:05 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(01-02-2013 12:05 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I've always wondered if Fox would get into the hoops business for network games. it would make a lot of sense- imagine on Sunday, they're airing NFC championship at 4:30, have a hoops game starting at 1pm leading into the game.

One thing that would impact to some degree- NASCAR.

I'd like a majority of the deal with Fox and a few games on CBS.

I think ESPN isn't going to throw a lot of money at us. I think they are content with the basketball league they built in the ACC.

I think Fox will pay us and actually give us good exposure. We'd get prime time slots on FS1 and possible afternoon OTA games on the weekends. It also comes down to scheduling top notch OOC games. Cuse-GTown, Marquette-Wisc, SJU-Duke, Butler-Indiana etc...which will help us get OTA games more often in our first few years.
01-02-2013 12:39 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
I would hope that we don't sell all of our games to one provider. ESPN & Fox have bid on things before jointly, and I think it makes the most sense for us to keep some presence on ESPN. We also have had a few games on CBS which has great Saturday coverage of college basketball.
01-02-2013 02:17 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I could possibly see ESPN interested, if anything as a backup in case the Big Ten leaves in 2016.

I'm not sure that CBS will be interested at all. You look- the teams they showed in a lot of ways were schools like Cuse, WV, Pitt, Louisville, etc.
01-02-2013 02:54 PM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
I think if ESPN is invested in the league, it will elevate Xavier and company to "BCS status" in terms of perception with no or little drop off from the Big East.

If ESPN isn't invested, then the C7 become more like the old A-10 than the other way around.
01-02-2013 02:59 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

(01-02-2013 02:59 PM)JPSchmack Wrote:  I think if ESPN is invested in the league, it will elevate Xavier and company to "BCS status" in terms of perception with no or little drop off from the Big East.

If ESPN isn't invested, then the C7 become more like the old A-10 than the other way around.

I think this is a great point. I think Xavier probably already is viewed by most people as BCS status, but the others probably not.
01-02-2013 03:17 PM
Title Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Butler
Who exactly in this "league" do you feel is looked at being at a higher level?

I mean no offense, but most of the "new" teams have significantly more present media gravitas than the old ones (not to mention to actual basketball stuff)

Its not perfect, but look at the Top 25. Well, I see Georgetown...
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 03:33 PM by Title.)
01-02-2013 03:26 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-02-2013 03:26 PM)Title Wrote:  Umm, Yeah

Butler I'm sorry, but to a lot of folks they view them as just Cinderella, and not a true BCS team. The fact they didn't even make the tourney last year didn't help at all.
01-02-2013 03:31 PM
Title Offline
2nd String

Friend,

In this millennium, Butler has played 24 NCAA Tournament games; Georgetown has played 17.......Its not even really close

If Butler is a Cinderella, GU is a stepsister with a fat foot.

Not here to argue, but there is this an odd detachment from reality that pops up pretty often around here
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 03:44 PM by Title.)
01-02-2013 03:39 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-02-2013 03:39 PM)Title Wrote:  Friend,

In this millennium, Butler has played 24 NCAA Tournament games; Georgetown has played 17.......Its not even really close

If Butler is a Cinderella, GU is a stepsister with a fat foot.

Disagree with this. Georgetown can have a few bad seasons and still get press coverage. See Villanova.

If Butler has a few bad seasons, ESPN goes in hunt of its next Cinderella story. It took Gonzaga a very long time before they transcended Cinderella status. Xavier is right on the cusp, Butler is looking up. Being grouped with schools like Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette goes a long way to removing that stigma.

We all need each other.
01-02-2013 03:43 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I can't imagine anyone questioning Xavier or Butler's credentials at this point, and I'm the one banging the drum for stopping at 10 with VCU, largely for perception purposes--6 of the 10 would have unchallengeable credentials--recent Final Fours or lots of recent Sweet Sixteens.
01-02-2013 03:52 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

All time NCAA records:
Georgetown 46-27
Butler 18-11

The point is- if C7 gets ESPN, that elevates Butler, Xavier, etc. to BCS like status. If not on ESPN, the arguement certainly could be made that it downgrades the current C7 schools to A10 status.

Butler- 10 games on TV rest of the year(with only 3 only ESPN/ESPN2).
Georgetown- 12 games on TV rest of the year- with 8 on ESPN/ESPN2/CBS.
Xavier- 9 games on tv, with only 2 on ESPN/ESPN2.
so you tell me, who is more relevent today?
01-02-2013 04:00 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-02-2013 03:52 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I can't imagine anyone questioning Xavier or Butler's credentials at this point, and I'm the one banging the drum for stopping at 10 with VCU, largely for perception purposes--6 of the 10 would have unchallengeable credentials--recent Final Fours or lots of recent Sweet Sixteens.

I think the point is though, if ESPN gets the TV deal, it elevates the new teams quite a bit. However, it's kind of reversed if ESPN doesn't get it...

It's like in wrestling(and I know I'm opening a major can of worms)- when you have a new wrestler, and put him in vs Hulk Hogan, that new wrestler is seen as being a lot more legit.
01-02-2013 04:03 PM
Title Offline
2nd String

Steve,

I hate to break it to you, but you don't have football propping you up anymore - you are no more "BCS like" than the other non-BCS teams that do things like make Top 25 lists. If in 10 years, the programs that make up the 7 are seen in the same light as Xavier, Butler, et al - they have won.

Its a completely different ballgame.
01-02-2013 04:09 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(01-02-2013 04:09 PM)Title Wrote:  Steve,

I hate to break it to you, but you don't have football propping you up anymore - you are no more "BCS like" than the other non-BCS teams that do things like make Top 25 lists. If in 10 years, the programs that make up the 7 are seen in the same light as Xavier, Butler, et al - they have won.

Its a completely different ballgame.

FB never propped up Big East BBall. In fact it was the other way around entirely. The BBall side made the FB side more legit.

The C7 has been looked on favorably for years because of their own accomplishments.
01-02-2013 04:13 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

hate to break it to you- but Georgetown was #12 in the ESPN top programs of the last 50 years(the best non football program in the country). Villanova and Marquette 16/17 respectively. St John's and DePaul both in the top 50. So 5 of the top 50 programs of the last 50 years. Where's Butler? #59.

There's a term for Xavier and Butler. Mid-Major.....
01-02-2013 04:16 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-02-2013 04:17 PM)Title Wrote:  Are you just too stupid to see who needs whom more?

I'd say you are the stupid one. The C7 could add VCU, Xavier, and Dayton, and be fine. Where would Butler be then? In a league with none of those 3, oh, and plus no Temple. Butler needs the C7 more than the C7 needs Butler. To say Butler is equal to or better than Georgetown is frankly ignorant. History didn't start 4-5 years ago.
01-02-2013 04:20 PM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-02-2013 03:52 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I can't imagine anyone questioning Xavier or Butler's credentials at this point, and I'm the one banging the drum for stopping at 10 with VCU, largely for perception purposes--6 of the 10 would have unchallengeable credentials--recent Final Fours or lots of recent Sweet Sixteens.

The other problem that schools like Xavier & Butler will have to struggle with is recruiting. If I'm a big time player I might look past Xavier & Butler not because I have any issue with the program I have issues with their conference mates.

Playing on a ranked team vs other big name ranked teams on national TV is what draws the top players. Xavier & Butler have both done a tremendous job of finding guys who are under recruited but you don't see them in that many head to head recruiting battles with the Duke, North Carolina, and Kansas's of the world.

But suddenly when Coach Mack and Coach Stevens are saying not only are you joining a program with great success you get to face Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, St. John's its a different story from facing La Salle, Charlotte, UMass, GW.
01-02-2013 04:25 PM
JPSchmack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: upsets
We're not talking about stats like NCAA bids, or poll rankings. We're talking about the MYTH that ESPN's be perpetrating for a decade now that the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and Big East are "Major Conferences" and everyone else is basically JV.

It's not TRUE, but everyone follows their lead and it heavily influences recruiting. Look at the rise of the WCC and the fall of the Pac-12 in the last five years. ESPN stopped investing in the Pac-12, realizing they were wasting money on Pac-12 men's basketball when they could get the same viewership with WCC games at a cheaper price. Now the WCC was a three-bid league last year and the Pac-12 was lucky to get a second.

If ESPN is invested in the new C7 conference, they will perpetrate the myth that everyone without a big ESPN contract is a mid-major; Things will be better for the C7 (same pub and reputation, only without Syracuse, UConn, Louisville with them so they "beat each other up." They'll have more NCAA access) and also better for Xavier, Butler, and anyone else who goes with them (going from a conference ESPN treats like a "mid-major" to being treated like a major).

If ESPN isn't invested in the new C7 -- or if they would be and the C7 takes more money from Fox, so ESPN chooses to ignore the C7 like it does the Pac-12, MWC, A-10, etc -- then the C7 will become more like the A-10 is now: a very good league, with tons of major programs that gets 3+ bids every year and has teams going to the Sweet 16/Elite 8 frequently... but insulted by ESPN with backhanded "compliments" in the rare times ESPN does choose to mention them.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 04:28 PM by JPSchmack.)
01-02-2013 04:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.