Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Did the ECU & Tulane additions ultimately doom the Big East?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Did the additions of ECU & Tulane doom the Big East?
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
As you all know, i have wanted out of the Big East since the real big east teams started leaving and the new wave started coming in.

That said, we're here and the best we can do is make the most of it.

With the additions of ECU and Tulane, we saw the Catholic schools bail, the western schools start looking elsewhere, and a drastic cut in our projected money.

Had those additions instead been Fresno & UNLV, or some other combination of western schools, i think its safe to assume SDSU and Boise wouldnt be looking elsewhere.

I'd like to have this thread to discuss how catestrophically bad the additions of ECU and Tulane were. Who made that call? Whos idea was this? Why did they not see this causing the backlash it did? Did Boise, SDSU, and the Catholics say anything before the invites went out? Why didnt USF, UC, and UConn listen? Many questions here.
12-24-2012 02:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
RE: Did the additions of ECU & Tulane doom the Big East?
Tulane - Yes

ECU for fb only - No
12-24-2012 02:46 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
no....not coming to grips that college football is vastly bigger than college basketball quick enough is what doomed the BE
12-24-2012 02:47 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
Should have been after UNLV/Fresno all sports. Then you could offer ECU All Sports and wait for the next defection before Tulane.
12-24-2012 02:50 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
No, the Big East was doomed regardless of those invites. The invite of ECU was deserving, the invite of Tulane showed the true failure of BE leadership.
12-24-2012 02:51 PM
Yoda Offline
1st String

I Root For: Fresno State
Tulane, in my opinion, hurt you badly. It drove off the basketball schools and it was a beacon to Boise that something was very wrong; the people running the show clearly didn't get it. They desperately needed to build a western division and instead were focusing on the east. And worse, they dumped two crappy football programs in the western division -- three if you count Temple, which was there for awhile, I believe. In my opinion, I think that is why Boise got more serious with their MWC talks.

If Boise wanted to play WAC level football programs, they would never have come to the MWC -- much less left it for the nBE.

Yoda out...
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 02:53 PM by Yoda.)
12-24-2012 02:52 PM
Advertisement

RebelRobert Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNLV
The additions of Tulane and ECU are the only thing that saved Conference America.

The Big East struck out on Western additions and quickly realized all they were going to have was:

Memphis
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Temple

This was what was going to be left when the C7 bolted, Boise/SDSU left and UConn/Cincy left.

The Big LEast has no choice but to try to build some sort of safety net. Bring in Tulane and ECU. Probably were hoping that might get Houston/SMU/Memphis to stick around and not bolt to the MWC with Boise/SDSU.

In reality, East Carolina and Tulane probably will be the ones who saved Conference America not the ones that destroyed it. Without Tulane and East Carolina committed, you would have alot more schools scrambling to find a home right now!

Boise/SDSU will return to the MWC. Houston/SMU/Memphis are still likely to follow them.

Conference America may be able to add more CUSA scraps now that you have Tulane/ECU. Maybe bring in Southern Miss, Rice, Tulsa, etc.

Merry Christmas!
12-24-2012 02:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(12-24-2012 02:52 PM)RebelRobert Wrote:  The additions of Tulane and ECU are the only thing that saved Conference America.

The Big East struck out on Western additions and quickly realized all they were going to have was:

Memphis
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Temple

This was what was going to be left when the C7 bolted, Boise/SDSU left and UConn/Cincy left.

The Big LEast has no choice but to try to build some sort of safety net. Bring in Tulane and ECU. Probably were hoping that might get Houston/SMU/Memphis to stick around and not bolt to the MWC with Boise/SDSU.

In reality, East Carolina and Tulane probably will be the ones who saved Conference America not the ones that destroyed it. Without Tulane and East Carolina committed, you would have alot more schools scrambling to find a home right now!

Boise/SDSU will return to the MWC. Houston/SMU/Memphis are still likely to follow them.

Conference America may be able to add more CUSA scraps now that you have Tulane/ECU. Maybe bring in Southern Miss, Rice, Tulsa, etc.
Merry Christmas!

gawd....this thing just keep getting better all the time. I hope not man...
12-24-2012 02:57 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(12-24-2012 02:47 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  no....not coming to grips that college football is vastly bigger than college basketball quick enough is what doomed the BE

Nail meet hammer...
12-24-2012 03:16 PM
OUGwave Offline
All American

I Root For:
Finally. The one thing this board lacked was a thread dedicated the proposition that Tulane ruined this conference.

Merry Christmas everyone.
12-24-2012 03:16 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(12-24-2012 02:52 PM)RebelRobert Wrote:  The Big LEast has no choice but to try to build some sort of safety net. Bring in Tulane and ECU. Probably were hoping that might get Houston/SMU/Memphis to stick around and not bolt to the MWC with Boise/SDSU.

Really, it's about time some of you people remember what board you're on. A lot of posters have already had it with you guys.

Debate civilly or not at all.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 03:19 PM by Ring of Black.)
12-24-2012 03:18 PM
Advertisement

monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
Perhaps hastened it, but it was heading towards separation for some time. Since last dec to this dec really needed to strengthen the west, didn't, and so this is the end result.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 03:23 PM by monty.)
12-24-2012 03:23 PM
Rich52c Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uconn
(12-24-2012 03:18 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 02:52 PM)RebelRobert Wrote:  The Big LEast has no choice but to try to build some sort of safety net. Bring in Tulane and ECU. Probably were hoping that might get Houston/SMU/Memphis to stick around and not bolt to the MWC with Boise/SDSU.

Really, it's about time some of you people remember what board you're on. A lot of posters have already had it with you guys.

That boise st thought they byu or nd
They counted potatoes as part of their viewership
12-24-2012 03:23 PM
BoiseAlum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Boise
IMHO I think ECU deserved an invite. I don't know much about Tulane, but I do think there is plenty of potential there. Will have to wait and see on that one. The big mistake made though was not going after true Western teams in the first place. Without a true (all sports) Western Division, and the oBE teams bailing, cause Boise to rethink its stance. THOUGH, I still think Boise to the nBE is the right move!!!
12-24-2012 03:24 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
I have the utmost respect for Tulane as an academic institution, but I've been to a Tulane/UH game in New Orleans where UH fans outnumbered Tulane fans at least 10/1.

Inviting them to the BE made absolutely no sense.
12-24-2012 03:27 PM
pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC
(12-24-2012 02:43 PM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  As you all know, i have wanted out of the Big East since the real big east teams started leaving and the new wave started coming in.

That said, we're here and the best we can do is make the most of it.

With the additions of ECU and Tulane, we saw the Catholic schools bail, the western schools start looking elsewhere, and a drastic cut in our projected money.

Had those additions instead been Fresno & UNLV, or some other combination of western schools, i think its safe to assume SDSU and Boise wouldnt be looking elsewhere.

I'd like to have this thread to discuss how catestrophically bad the additions of ECU and Tulane were. Who made that call? Whos idea was this? Why did they not see this causing the backlash it did? Did Boise, SDSU, and the Catholics say anything before the invites went out? Why didnt USF, UC, and UConn listen? Many questions here.

Not at all. You stated in your first paragraph. You have been wanting to get out since the first teams were leaving. Just so you know. They wanted out as soon as USF was added. You are no Miami in their eyes. As the cycle churns.
12-24-2012 03:29 PM
Advertisement

EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
(12-24-2012 03:23 PM)Rich52c Wrote:  
(12-24-2012 03:18 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  

That boise st thought they byu or nd
They counted potatoes as part of their viewership

Please use complete sentances. It's hard to understand your posts.
12-24-2012 03:46 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
i do not accept the proposition that it is doomed.
12-24-2012 03:47 PM
Wavetime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulane
Losing West Virginia, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Louisville hurt the Big East. The League voted unaminously for both schools.

If any of the Big East schools really believe that the TV dollars would have been there before the defections then please share your Kool Aid.

Each school in the Big East wants out, even Tulane. To think that anyone is satisfied being out of the BCS is like saying that you like to come in second place. So, we are all bridesmaids and we may as well stick together to be successful and try and make as much money as we can and take that leap.

All this talk of Tulane and ECU breaking up the Big East is a bunch of Cr@@ and everyone knows it. If you don't believe this then look up the term scapegoat in the dictionary.

There are many great fans on this forum, but many play the blame game.

Merry Christmas and I will be pulling for Louisville against Florida from the dome.....
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2012 03:50 PM by Wavetime.)
12-24-2012 03:49 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
The basketball schools voted for Tulane. I'm not sure how the ruined anything.
12-24-2012 03:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.