Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Columbus Dispatch: Ohio Tournament Would be Great
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Columbus Dispatch: Ohio Tournament Would be Great
From Ohio State's home rag: an Ohio Tournament would be a great idea. I like how they admit it is OSU who is keeping this from happening. [/b]

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/...great.html

12-20-2012 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
RE: Columbus Dispatch: Ohio Tournament Would be Great
I would play a tournament at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Ohio State, Ohio, Cincinnati, and Dayton. Play ever school once over a three day period or make it a true tournament each season.

I would love to see UC go up to Columbus and play the Buckeyes.

12-20-2012 01:04 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I think it would be better to play in a neutral NBA arena, such as Cleveland - a lot more capacity, a lot more money. We thumb our noses at the city, but it is really not a bad visit at all.

Ain't happening anyway...

12-20-2012 01:05 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(12-20-2012 01:04 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I would play a tournament at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Ohio State, Ohio, Cincinnati, and Dayton. Play ever school once over a three day period or make it a true tournament each season.

If there would ever be an OH tournament it needs to move around the state from venue to venue. Always hosting it at Nationwide is giving tOSU defacto home games every year, which would obviously not be fair.

12-20-2012 01:07 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

That would be cool, but it's not something that UC needs to be successful. It might finally get us some following in Cleveland, which would be a plus. Right now they barely even know we exist up there.

But games against similar quality opponents as OSU (like Purdue, Florida State, or Arizona) would probably have just as much, if not more benefit for UC than a tournament like this.

12-20-2012 01:22 PM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
I've been saying it for a few years. We need to emulate the Notre Dame, Purdue, Indiana and Butler tournament that they play at the Pacers arena. The same could be done at the Cavs arena in Ohio.

12-20-2012 01:29 PM
Advertisement

BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

(12-20-2012 01:07 PM)mptnstr@44 Wrote:  
(12-20-2012 01:04 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I would play a tournament at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Ohio State, Ohio, Cincinnati, and Dayton. Play ever school once over a three day period or make it a true tournament each season.

If there would ever be an OH tournament it needs to move around the state from venue to venue. Always hosting it at Nationwide is giving tOSU defacto home games every year, which would obviously not be fair.

I agree, plus it gives every city involved a chance to share in the economic activity.

12-20-2012 01:32 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

One more thing: on the front page of the sports section in the Dispatch today was a piece recapping the Shootout and the Oiler editorial in the OP. I have attached the article in the Dispatcha bout the game. The photo covered the front page.

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/...s-out.html

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 01:42 PM by CliftonAve.)
12-20-2012 01:41 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
Unlike a lot of UC fans, I'm not an Ohio State hater. But it's just laughable that anyone could view UC basketball as a "little brother" program.

In fact, the programs' respective profiles over the last 50 and 25 years are very comparable, with UC and OSU having periods of dominance running for up to 15 years. Late 70's? UC. Eighties? OSU, even though they weren't great, we were mired in Badger/Yates. 90s thru early 2000s? UC by a mile. 2005-present? OSUs best period since the early 60s, artificially enhanced by the destruction and rebuilding of UC.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 03:12 PM by Former Lurker.)
12-20-2012 03:12 PM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-20-2012 03:12 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Unlike a lot of UC fans, I'm not an Ohio State hater. But it's just laughable that anyone could view UC basketball as a "little brother" program.

In fact, the programs' respective profiles over the last 50 and 25 years are very comparable, with UC and OSU having periods of dominance running for up to 15 years. Late 70's? UC. Eighties? OSU, even though they weren't great, we were mired in Badger/Yates. 90s thru early 2000s? UC by a mile. 2005-present? OSUs best period since the early 60s, artificially enhanced by the destruction and rebuilding of UC.

Spot on

12-20-2012 03:15 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-20-2012 12:59 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  From Ohio State's home rag: an Ohio Tournament would be a great idea. I like how they admit it is OSU who is keeping this from happening. [/b]

This guy obviously hasn't been in Columbus very long. He keeps writing this kind of stuff and he'll soon be looking for a job. Can't upset the powers that be in the O$U athletic department.

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 04:47 PM by vabearcat.)
12-20-2012 04:47 PM
Advertisement

George Kaplan Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(12-20-2012 04:47 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(12-20-2012 12:59 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  From Ohio State's home rag: an Ohio Tournament would be a great idea. I like how they admit it is OSU who is keeping this from happening. [/b]

This guy obviously hasn't been in Columbus very long. He keeps writing this kind of stuff and he'll soon be looking for a job. Can't upset the powers that be in the O$U athletic department.

Agreed. Look for his press credentials to be revoked.
Also, had to laugh at his line "It is hard to say where athletic directors from Ohio State, Cincinnati, Xavier and Dayton stand on the establishment of such a tournament, because none of the four responded to an interview request." Uh, no, Rob. It's fairly easy to say where three of those ADs would stand on this question, and super-mega-uber-easy to know where the other one would stand.

12-20-2012 05:15 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

^^^ When the Tressell saga unfolded last year, OSU had Bruce Hooley, one of the afternoon guys on 97.1 The Fan, fired for being overly critical of the university (on a related note, Kirk Herbstreit had one of the guys who replaced him fired this year for tweeting he wished Desmond Howard was dead).

There's definite precedent.

12-20-2012 05:30 PM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-20-2012 05:30 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  ^^^ When the Tressell saga unfolded last year, OSU had Bruce Hooley, one of the afternoon guys on 97.1 The Fan, fired for being overly critical of the university (on a related note, Kirk Herbstreit had one of the guys who replaced him fired this year for tweeting he wished Desmond Howard was dead).

Make no mistake...the Dispatch writers are kept on a short leash, all reporting must reflect pro-OSU and pro-Columbus at the expense of all others in the state. Seems to be a Wolfe family paranoia.

12-20-2012 05:36 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(12-20-2012 05:30 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  ^^^ When the Tressell saga unfolded last year, OSU had Bruce Hooley, one of the afternoon guys on 97.1 The Fan, fired for being overly critical of the university (on a related note, Kirk Herbstreit had one of the guys who replaced him fired this year for tweeting he wished Desmond Howard was dead).

Which was a shame. The Torg was a great cohost. He and The Common Man did a great show up here. They were O$U fans but they were honest and funny. They took The Buckeyes to task when needed and were always informative. They were by far the best 3 hour sports show I've ever listened to.

12-20-2012 06:50 PM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I can't see that tournament every happening for Ohio State. They would only play UC when 1 scholly player is left and a new coach. That's the only reason they played UC in Mick's first year. Screw O$U.

12-20-2012 08:41 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
From an Ohio State perspective, it's not about avoiding playing other Ohio schools so much as it's avoiding hurting themselves. Ohio State is uniquely positioned to have a statewide fanbase even if it is bigger in some areas than others. It does not help the Buckeye athletic department if fans in Dayton, Cincinnati, etc get extra reasons to root against the Buckeyes. Maybe in basketball alone it would be fine (Ohio State's support is more centered and less statewide than in football), but it likely would spill over to football too. There are a lot Dayton/Xavier basketball fans who are also Ohio State football fans (I don't think there are as many who would follow both Ohio State and Cincinnati). What OSU doesn't want is for fans of other major Ohio basketball schools to feel Ohio State is rival and start rooting against them in other areas.

Example: I went to the Ohio State/Dayton game in the NIT a few years ago. There were people there with both Ohio State and Dayton gear on. Generally they rooted for both even if they did have a preference. If you turn that kind of game into an annual event, it's a lot harder to root for both. Dayton being good and followed well doesn't hurt Ohio State. Dayton being good and a rival of Ohio State would (if not in basketball, indirectly it would in football)

(This post was last modified: 12-20-2012 09:01 PM by ohio1317.)
12-20-2012 09:00 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(12-20-2012 09:00 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  From an Ohio State perspective, it's not about avoiding playing other Ohio schools so much as it's avoiding hurting themselves. Ohio State is uniquely positioned to have a statewide fanbase even if it is bigger in some areas than others. It does not help the Buckeye athletic department if fans in Dayton, Cincinnati, etc get extra reasons to root against the Buckeyes. Maybe in basketball alone it would be fine (Ohio State's support is more centered and less statewide than in football), but it likely would spill over to football too. There are a lot Dayton/Xavier basketball fans who are also Ohio State football fans (I don't think there are as many who would follow both Ohio State and Cincinnati). What OSU doesn't want is for fans of other major Ohio basketball schools to feel Ohio State is rival and start rooting against them in other areas.

Example: I went to the Ohio State/Dayton game in the NIT a few years ago. There were people there with both Ohio State and Dayton gear on. Generally they rooted for both even if they did have a preference. If you turn that kind of game into an annual event, it's a lot harder to root for both. Dayton being good and followed well doesn't hurt Ohio State. Dayton being good and a rival of Ohio State would (if not in basketball, indirectly it would in football)

Is it always necessary for you to come on here and be an tO$U apologist?

12-20-2012 09:09 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

(12-20-2012 09:00 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  From an Ohio State perspective, it's not about avoiding playing other Ohio schools so much as it's avoiding hurting themselves. Ohio State is uniquely positioned to have a statewide fanbase even if it is bigger in some areas than others. It does not help the Buckeye athletic department if fans in Dayton, Cincinnati, etc get extra reasons to root against the Buckeyes. Maybe in basketball alone it would be fine (Ohio State's support is more centered and less statewide than in football), but it likely would spill over to football too. There are a lot Dayton/Xavier basketball fans who are also Ohio State football fans (I don't think there are as many who would follow both Ohio State and Cincinnati). What OSU doesn't want is for fans of other major Ohio basketball schools to feel Ohio State is rival and start rooting against them in other areas.

This isn't the 1970's boys. I am sorry if Ohio State is afraid to become a rival to another state school. Take a guess what Michigan and Michigan State play each other. Butler, IU, Purdue, and Notre Dame play each other and are rivals. Buckeyes need to man up and me honest with themselves.

12-20-2012 09:27 PM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:

This is the kind of flawed reasoning I would expect of an OSU fan. Only Ohio State has this kind of mentality that it can't stoop to play other universities in its own state, including one (UC) with nearly 40,000 students and a basketball history at least as illustrious, if not more so, than O$U's. Indiana doesn't think this way when they play Butler and Notre Dame regularly. Tennessee doesn't think this way when they play Memphis annually. Wisconsin doesn't think this way when they play Marquette annually. Penn State doesn't think this way when they play Temple regularly. Nebraska doesn't think this way when it plays Creighton annually. Has everyone in Columbus flunked Logic 101?

12-20-2012 09:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.