Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU Football possibly to join C*USA in2014
Bookmark and Share
paintedblue Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
ODU coach Bobby Wilder held a press conference today to announce the signing of some JuCo players. Per a tweet from the Virginian-Pilot's beat writer this interesting bit was added...

"Bobby Wilder says ODU has had meaningful conversations with Confefence USA about becoming eligible for league title and bowl bid in 2014."
12-19-2012 04:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
RE: ODU Football possibly to join C*USA in2014
(12-19-2012 04:02 PM)paintedblue Wrote:  ODU coach Bobby Wilder held a press conference today to announce the signing of some JuCo players. Per a tweet from the Virginian-Pilot's beat writer this interesting bit was added...

"Bobby Wilder says ODU has had meaningful conversations with Confefence USA about becoming eligible for league title and bowl bid in 2014."

Wow!!!
12-19-2012 04:10 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
This would be incredible. It needs to happen.
12-19-2012 04:14 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I'm thinking this would require some kind of exemption from the NCAA, no?
12-19-2012 04:26 PM
djnva Offline
All American

Someone explain this to me--I thought it was an NCAA rule that there's a 2 year transition. The CUSA couldn't waive that, could they?
12-19-2012 04:26 PM
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
(12-19-2012 04:26 PM)djnva Wrote:  Someone explain this to me--I thought it was an NCAA rule that there's a 2 year transition. The CUSA couldn't waive that, could they?

I thought the 2 year transition was an NCAA rule, also. Not sure what special circumstances ODU could present that would justify waiving that?

I'd be more than happy to welcome you guys into CUSA a year early, although I have no problem admitting that ODU is my #2 worry in CUSA East for the future (Southern Miss is #1 - incredibly impressive, long winning history).

Besides, a 2014 game between seniors Cato and Heinicke with division implications would be a pretty great thing to see.
12-19-2012 04:39 PM
Advertisement

djnva Offline
All American

Maybe they are talking with CUSA about presenting something to the NCAA--that in the wake of all the movement of teams, it's in the best interests of the school and conference to waive that second year.

Although we'd still be competing with lots of players recruited for FCS level football.

But we'd have Heinicke...
12-19-2012 04:51 PM
Afflicted Offline
Banned

I Root For: Rice and UH
The sooner the better. Lets move forward as quickly as we can.
12-19-2012 04:56 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

(12-19-2012 04:56 PM)Afflicted Wrote:  The sooner the better. Lets move forward as quickly as we can.

This.

I'm guessing they're going to use the fact that ODU was ineligible for CAA Championship this year to show that it's close to a three-year transition. Unless this gets approved, the 2012 freshman class will have to wait until their fourth year to play for a conference championship.
12-19-2012 07:52 PM
MasMack Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Hope it happens!
12-19-2012 07:54 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
Is the NCAA rule the only thing holding ODU back? Or were they waiting on another east team to leave? I do think ODU is ready to take off.
12-19-2012 07:55 PM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

(12-19-2012 07:55 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  Is the NCAA rule the only thing holding ODU back? Or were they waiting on another east team to leave? I do think ODU is ready to take off.

Just the rule. ODU delayed the beginning of transition to 2013 to play for an FCS championship this season.
12-19-2012 08:06 PM
NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
NCAA rules aren't exactly written in stone. It's more like an etch-a-sketch.
12-19-2012 08:06 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
WOW, ya know.... I'd argue that if you have the fan support, the facilities, and the overall top level performance in 1aa like you guys have they might just do it than say a weaker program in the 1aa ranks or a REAL NEW START UP like UTSA in those regards.
12-19-2012 09:29 PM
77Herd11 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Herd
This would be great!! Really looking forward to ODU coming.
12-20-2012 08:52 AM
djnva Offline
All American

Apparently, CUSA can make the decision on ODU being eligibile for the conference title in 2014. The bowl waiver has to come from the NCAA. Since conferences wouldn't like their champs not playing in a bowl game, they kind of go hand in hand. And I guess it wouldn't even have to be their champ--say ODU finishes in a spot that makes them the 4th most attractive CUSA team--if they couldn't go, everyone slides up a notch and that last CUSA bowl spot may not have an eligible team--meaning that bowl takes a school from another conference, costing CUSA money.

We'll see...
12-20-2012 09:36 AM
Advertisement

slow-runner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTSA
UTSA learned this stuff this season. The first year of FBS transition play you can win the conference championship but you can't go to a bowl game. The second season of transition you can go to a bowl game.

UTSA played our first transition season and went 8 - 4. We could not go to a bowl game (no matter what our record was or who we played) but could have won the conference if we won out.

Texas State was in their second year of transition this season and could have gone to a bowl game if they had a winning season.

All of this occurred with the updated NCAA Rules. It should be noted that the WAC did get a waiver to allow UTSA to play a full FBS schedule and count as an FBS opponent for the conference. This allowed the WAC to have the appropriate number of FBS teams in the conference and other WAC teams get credit playing us so that the win/loss counted towards the number of FBS teams they play. C-USA doesn't need the waiver but will most likely request it so as to make ODU count as an FBS opponent for the rest if the C-USA teams.
12-20-2012 10:18 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
This would be fantastic! Hope it happens!
12-20-2012 11:03 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

(12-20-2012 10:18 AM)slow-runner Wrote:  UTSA learned this stuff this season. The first year of FBS transition play you can win the conference championship but you can't go to a bowl game. The second season of transition you can go to a bowl game.

UTSA played our first transition season and went 8 - 4. We could not go to a bowl game (no matter what our record was or who we played) but could have won the conference if we won out.

Texas State was in their second year of transition this season and could have gone to a bowl game if they had a winning season.

All of this occurred with the updated NCAA Rules. It should be noted that the WAC did get a waiver to allow UTSA to play a full FBS schedule and count as an FBS opponent for the conference. This allowed the WAC to have the appropriate number of FBS teams in the conference and other WAC teams get credit playing us so that the win/loss counted towards the number of FBS teams they play. C-USA doesn't need the waiver but will most likely request it so as to make ODU count as an FBS opponent for the rest if the C-USA teams.

2014 will be ODU's second year of transition, they will already be considered FBS and no request from CUSA will be necessary. Next year is the first transition year and ODU plays as an FCS independent.
12-20-2012 11:43 AM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
FWIW, ODU was going to play a full Conference USA schedule in 2014. The new development is possibly being eligible for the conference championship.
12-20-2012 12:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.