Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We've come a long way.....or have we?
Bookmark and Share
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
We've come a long way.....or have we?
Unrest is plentiful these days in Clifton. A large contingent wants to play football at PBS, while there has even been discussions of playing basketball at US Bank Arena. Add to that the crumbling of the Big East, it harkens back to the 80's when UC was independent and played both sports downtown. Less than 10,000 for most football games, and less than 3,000 for hoops.

Scary stuff. But UC was big commuter school back then, with big surface parking lots. It could never happen again. Could it?

[Image: 758765.jpg]

We have seen that change over the last 20 years with more students becoming engaged with campus, and enthused from winning teams. But UC, and its fanbase, needs to be careful. Good luck Dr. Ono and Whit - the next 12 months will establish the next 10 years of UC athletics.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 02:13 PM by Ragpicker.)
12-16-2012 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nine2five Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: who but UC
RE: We've come a long way.....or have we?
Where can we find more pics of campus from those days

12-16-2012 02:27 PM
lazyeyep22 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats
That's an awesome picture, Rag. Incredible how much has changed in the last 30 years. We absolutely have come a long, long way.

As someone who attended UC in the mid 2000s during and immediately after the Varsity Village and MainStreet developments, I can say without hesitation that the UC of today is a very different university than the UC of even 10 years ago, much less 30 years ago. There are still plenty of commuters, but the number of on campus and Clifton area students has exploded. With this, and a strengthened on campus community, students are much more engaged with the university and likely to support UC initiatives as students and as alumni. I really believe that if we can get into the ACC or Big 12 and sustain the football and basketball success for a few more years, this generation of alums is going to position the athletic department's coffers very well into the future. Kids packing the student sections become graduates buying season tickets and donating to UCATS. Many of my close friends and I are perfect examples of this.

12-16-2012 02:33 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Geez, I remember parking in that lot. I'm getting old.

12-16-2012 03:02 PM
mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
(12-16-2012 02:33 PM)lazyeyep22 Wrote:  That's an awesome picture, Rag. Incredible how much has changed in the last 30 years. We absolutely have come a long, long way.

As someone who attended UC in the mid 2000s during and immediately after the Varsity Village and MainStreet developments, I can say without hesitation that the UC of today is a very different university than the UC of even 10 years ago, much less 30 years ago. There are still plenty of commuters, but the number of on campus and Clifton area students has exploded. With this, and a strengthened on campus community, students are much more engaged with the university and likely to support UC initiatives as students and as alumni. I really believe that if we can get into the ACC or Big 12 and sustain the football and basketball success for a few more years, this generation of alums is going to position the athletic department's coffers very well into the future. Kids packing the student sections become graduates buying season tickets and donating to UCATS. Many of my close friends and I are perfect examples of this.

The grads of the 90s and 2000s are the key to UC ever having a large fanbase. They are on campus and engaged. They will be the ones to buy season tickets and donate.

UC has managed to get some of the 70s and 80s grads back but many just don't have a connection to UC on an emotional level from their days there. It was just a really poor college experience. And there is nothing UC can do to go back and change that.

12-16-2012 03:14 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
I went to UC in the 80's when those parking lots were there. The place was a dump. My Dad still wonders what I saw when I visited that made me decide to go to UC. I still wonder myself. Dad and I went back to visit my daughter on campus before the South Florida game. As I looked at all the new stuff and remember what used to be there, it really drove the point home about how bad campus was.

12-16-2012 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DDaddy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats

Donators
Isn't that Daniels Hall at the bottom of the picture? Spent my first Cincinnati summer there in 1979. It was coed in the summer and was a wild time. I wasn't back on campus from 1985-2005 living in the boonies of northern NY. When I finally got back I couldn't find my way around campus it had changed so much. And for the better!!

That walk from Sander to DAA at night past the the physical plant could get a little dicey.

12-16-2012 04:52 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(12-16-2012 04:52 PM)DDaddy Wrote:  Isn't that Daniels Hall at the bottom of the picture? Spent my first Cincinnati summer there in 1979. It was coed in the summer and was a wild time. I wasn't back on campus from 1985-2005 living in the boonies of northern NY. When I finally got back I couldn't find my way around campus it had changed so much. And for the better!!

That walk from Sander to DAA at night past the the physical plant could get a little dicey.

Believe that is Dabney.

12-16-2012 04:59 PM
ShenandoahCat Offline
Water Engineer

(12-16-2012 04:52 PM)DDaddy Wrote:  Isn't that Daniels Hall at the bottom of the picture? Spent my first Cincinnati summer there in 1979. It was coed in the summer and was a wild time. I wasn't back on campus from 1985-2005 living in the boonies of northern NY. When I finally got back I couldn't find my way around campus it had changed so much. And for the better!!

I believe that is French Hall.

12-16-2012 05:00 PM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I believe in yesterday...
Campus was mostly torn up buildings, chain link fences, and ugly ply wood walls when I went there from 95-00.

12-16-2012 05:54 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Is that pic from the top of Daniels? Is that old French Hall in the foreground? Brain is getting all cobwebby.

12-16-2012 06:00 PM
Advertisement

gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
With that vantage point that pic almost had to be taken from the now demolished Sanders high rise. Definitely French Hall in the foreground. The (used to be 3, now 2) apartment buildings just out of view to the right.

UC wasn't much of a party school in the 70's when I attended but i do feel I got a great education at a price I could afford. Calling it a "dump" is unfair IMHO.

12-16-2012 06:25 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Hey, I loved that dump.

12-16-2012 06:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ucnaticat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: cincinnati
That parking lot was there in the late 90's.

Can we get rid of the grass and get it back. Would make for some great tailgating. [/i]

12-16-2012 06:52 PM
back2vinyl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Bearcats
It was taken before they built the parking garage next to Langsam library. I'm guessing mid 80's.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 07:17 PM by back2vinyl.)
12-16-2012 07:15 PM
tdbearcat Offline
Water Engineer

Dam* you guys are young...or I'm old?

I had a GREAT experience as a UC student in the 70s and 80s. While it is definitely nicer now, I never thought it was a dump then.

12-16-2012 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(12-16-2012 07:15 PM)back2vinyl Wrote:  It was taken before they built the parking garage next to Langsam library. I'm guessing mid 80's.

The College of Business opened its doors in 1986. No sign of it in this picture.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 09:12 PM by Ragpicker.)
12-16-2012 08:22 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(12-16-2012 02:27 PM)nine2five Wrote:  Where can we find more pics of campus from those days

I have a couple of more....all from UC archives.

[Image: 758766.jpg]

[Image: 758767.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 08:26 PM by Ragpicker.)
12-16-2012 08:25 PM
gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
(12-16-2012 08:22 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  The College of Business opened its doors in 1987. No sign of it in this picture.

Damn, how the he|| did I manage to get a Business Degree in 1976 03-confused

12-16-2012 08:25 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

Donators
(12-16-2012 08:25 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  
(12-16-2012 08:22 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  The College of Business opened its doors in 1986. No sign of it in this picture.

Damn, how the he|| did I manage to get a Business Degree in 1976 03-confused

By taking classes in a lot of different buildings. Me too.

Obviously, I'm speaking of the building that is adjacent to the Campus Green garage - Carl Lindner Hall. Opened in 1986.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 09:13 PM by Ragpicker.)
12-16-2012 08:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.