East Campus
12-10-2012 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: East Campus
sucks that some of the buildings are being torn down, but i like the idea.
12-10-2012 03:55 PM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
FINALLY!

Though I agree, sad to see some are being torn down.

WMU Facebook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...t=1&ref=nf

Details from WMU:
http://www.wmich.edu/news/2012/12/3415
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 04:20 PM by stdatwmu.)
12-10-2012 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ubish Offline
All American

I like it. While I'm sad that some of the buildings are going to be removed, they are keeping the most important building. East hall is east campus to most people.

Also..... it woud free up some space for a pretty nice hockey arena....05-stirthepot
12-10-2012 11:37 PM
dunkface Offline
Special Teams

I like it. They keep the most iconic building of East Campus and find a nice use for it, plus open up some parking and green space for tailgating. If the alumni center is used smartly and they can tie in alumni events with tailgating in the new parking space, that could create a heck of a pregame atmosphere for football. I'm just glad there's finally a plan in place before everything got to the point where it couldn't be salvaged. Now if they'll just find something to do with McCracken...
12-11-2012 09:49 AM
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2012 09:49 AM)dunkface Wrote:  Now if they'll just find something to do with McCracken...

from everything i've heard, it's going to be a logistical nightmare when that time comes, thanks to both the asbestos and any checmicals left over in the building from the chemistry department. The number i've heard is that west campus will need to be vacant for a month.
12-11-2012 09:59 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
I hope they reserve some if those old building spots for potential future building projects, and any future structures should be built in the same architecture scheme as east hall and the old buildings. East campus should ultimately be truly a section of the actual academic campus, where students roam, and not just an off-campus visitors area.
12-11-2012 10:01 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2012 10:01 AM)brovol Wrote:  I hope they reserve some if those old building spots for potential future building projects, and any future structures should be built in the same architecture scheme as east hall and the old buildings. East campus should ultimately be truly a section of the actual academic campus, where students roam, and not just an off-campus visitors area.

I agree. I'm wondering if the area will take over as the tailgate spot. I'm thinking they would like to move the tailgaters out of Lawson and UA...and the multiple lots behind Waldo (with the exception of the high roller lot behind the press box)...and only allow tailgating in that area. Personally, I would like this. There are way too many parking lots and tailgating areas that are spread out. Keep us all in one or two spots. Make it easy :)
12-11-2012 10:08 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Believe it or not EA3, there is a another side to WMU than athletics or tailgating. A lot of us spent a good deal of time in East Campus, it was our own college and we were a tight knit group.
12-11-2012 10:50 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2012 10:50 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  Believe it or not EA3, there is a another side to WMU than athletics or tailgating. A lot of us spent a good deal of time in East Campus, it was our own college and we were a tight knit group.

You are right. What would your suggestion be for East Campus then?
12-11-2012 11:11 AM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I think I said that, I was hoping for a rennovation for all buildings, and that's what I contributed to. I sure wasn't hoping for a "cool spot to tailgate". We have plenty of those and how we utlize is a whole different discussion.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 11:23 AM by DesertBronco.)
12-11-2012 11:23 AM
Advertisement

fbgab Offline
Special Teams

Notice in the article, they may not save all of East Hall, they may actually remove part of each wing. I'm not sure I like that aspect.
12-11-2012 12:26 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2012 11:23 AM)DesertBronco Wrote:  I think I said that, I was hoping for a rennovation for all buildings, and that's what I contributed to. I sure wasn't hoping for a "cool spot to tailgate". We have plenty of those and how we utlize is a whole different discussion.

I'd rather see them be renovated and used as well. Unfortunately, the University does not think it will be very cost effective.

I was trying to find the positive in what will East Campus will become.
12-11-2012 12:34 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

Not sure if it's mentioned in the article, but it's important to note the difference in dependence on transportation now as opposed to the early 1900's. There is a much greater demand for parking on campus now than there was when those buildings were originally built (duh). So I know it's not very popular that those buildings will be leveled for a parking lot, but it's probably actually a good use of the area. About as good as you could hope for considering "The Nerd" took away all of the previous incentives for the (much cooler) proposed projects.
12-11-2012 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

Oh well, it's all about sports then!! GREAT, more tailgating for our 14,000 fans who will rally around our new coach and his 12-0 record next year!! 03-2thumbsup
12-11-2012 12:46 PM
stdatwmu Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(12-11-2012 10:08 AM)EA3 Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 10:01 AM)brovol Wrote:  I hope they reserve some if those old building spots for potential future building projects, and any future structures should be built in the same architecture scheme as east hall and the old buildings. East campus should ultimately be truly a section of the actual academic campus, where students roam, and not just an off-campus visitors area.

I agree. I'm wondering if the area will take over as the tailgate spot. I'm thinking they would like to move the tailgaters out of Lawson and UA...and the multiple lots behind Waldo (with the exception of the high roller lot behind the press box)...and only allow tailgating in that area. Personally, I would like this. There are way too many parking lots and tailgating areas that are spread out. Keep us all in one or two spots. Make it easy :)

That's certainly a great idea in my book.

I also agree with making sure room is reserved for future, MATCHING construction.
12-12-2012 01:37 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

12-13-2012 10:09 AM
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
Reminds me of the Tiger Stadium situation. Sad, but I understand the money isn't there to restore things to their former glories.
12-13-2012 10:33 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2012 10:33 AM)thegeneral Wrote:  Reminds me of the Tiger Stadium situation. Sad, but I understand the money isn't there to restore things to their former glories.

^this
12-13-2012 10:36 AM
Chipdip Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For:
WMU owns all of the State Hospital Land. The new archives building will be at the corner of Oakland and Howard on former state hospital property. The master plan that I saw in the alumni mag a few years back showed most of the new development taking place on that property.

East Hall is a renovation nightmare. I watched a similar renovation at UM. Had to gut the entire building, and basically left the skeleton reinforced with I-beams. Then built a totally new interior within that skeleton. I really wish they'd have put some of the med school on that portion of campus.
12-13-2012 11:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.