ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Assistant Defensive Coordinator Keita Malloy fired
devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
Assistant Defensive Coordinator Keita Malloy fired
As per twitter (and apparently his facebook page)

https://twitter.com/KirkNawrotzky/status...7580311552
https://twitter.com/KirkNawrotzky/status...9986116608

Also was the secondary coach. was the Wide Receivers/Tight Ends coach before this year.

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl...ita00.html
12-09-2012 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarchman Offline
1st String

RE: Assistant Defensive Coordinator Keita Malloy fired
Well, they really don't waste any time.
12-09-2012 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
wow the pilot just had a write up of him this year
12-09-2012 08:22 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

I seems like he was setup for failure, he had never coached on the defensive side before this season. The wide receivers always talked highly of him.

2012 - Present: Old Dominion University - Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Secondary
2008 - 2011: Old Dominion University - Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
2006 - 2007: Trinity College - Wide Receivers
2004 - 2005: Fordham University - Running Backs
2004 : Fordham University: Tight Ends
2002 - 2003: University of West Georgia - Wide Receivers/Special Teams
2001 - 2002: Washburn University - Running Backs/Wide Receivers/Special Teams
2000- 2001: Lafayette College - Wide Receivers
12-09-2012 08:26 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
There's your problem right there. Why promote a guy that has coached offense his entire career to a defensive position.
12-09-2012 08:45 PM
bit_9 Offline

I'd put him back where he was? I don't understand that. I think our WR core has been pretty darn solid to date.
12-09-2012 10:02 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-09-2012 10:02 PM)Cr8n Wrote:  I'd put him back where he was? I don't understand that. I think our WR core has been pretty darn solid to date.
Agreed

Curious move.
Promoting someone to their "level of incompetence" is setting them up to fail.

However we have no idea of any of the details of what transpired, or even led to his promotion in the first place..

For instance; did Malloy lobby for this job? Was he offered to be demoted back and refused?
We really don't know.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 10:39 PM by ODUalum78.)
12-09-2012 10:32 PM
djnva Offline
All American

(12-09-2012 08:45 PM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  There's your problem right there. Why promote a guy that has coached offense his entire career to a defensive position.

It happens a lot.

He got a promotion and it didn't work out.
12-09-2012 10:41 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

Good, now demote bill Dee to his old position and bring in a real, experienced college defensive coordinator with 10+ years experience, even if it's at the fcs level, and hire him to take over for Dee.

It's the only logical move. You don't pay this much money, millions and millions to bring back football, eventually expand your stadium and move to fbs to let a crappy high school coach bring down your team because he's overmatched against college offensive coordinators.

Sorry, it just doesn't make sense not to bring in someone with a lot of experience to try and turn this unit around so it is no longer the Achilles heel of this team.
12-10-2012 12:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Flagship Online
All American

Here is a twist:
When designing an offense, it helps to understand the defense that is designed to stop you.
When designing a defense, it helps to understand the offense that is designed to beat you.

Football is football. Good coaches should be able to coach both sides of the ball.
12-10-2012 06:33 AM
Heisman

Not necessarily. As a player, you learn one style of offense in college and if you are good enough to make it to the pros, you learn even more there. Sure you watch tape and gameplan for some of what the other team is doing but you are really more concerned about your specialty and what you know the most.

Andy Reid moved his offensive line coach to defensive coordinator and the results were pretty poor despite having a stacked defense with quite a few first round draft picks and playmakers. I mean, the eagles defense wasn't terrible and everyone knows Reid fired castillo because he can't fire the real culprit, himself, so he used him as a scapegoat, but still, it was a mistake to do that in the first place, even with a guy who was smart enough to be an NFL coach (and a long time coach at that).

None of us knows the exact circumstances behind malloy's firing, all we know is what we saw on the field this year and quite frankly, it was pretty pathetic. Honestly, if we had any other qb but heinecke this year, we probably don't even make the playoffs, much less garner a number 3 ranking, a top 4 seed and win the caa crown.

Our defense was epically bad, maybe even worse than last year. No excuse for that and malloy paid the price. Hopefully this clears space for Dee to be demoted to Malloy's job and we bring in a real collegiate coordinator with 10+ years of experience.

Hell hire north Dakota st.'s defensive coordinator!

I'm sure odu, with it's rise to fbs football and eventual cusa money, can afford to shell out an extra 50-100k more than what he's making at ndsu. He's winning with a bunch of farm boys from the Midwest and turning them into a lights out defense!

They just held wofford's triple option to 7 total points!!! If they shut down ga southern's triple option, there is zero doubt in my mind we should up the ante a little here, pay the guy to come coach an up and coming fbs school and get someone in here with experience and talent for the job.

But Christ, any one of us could call plays against a triple option and give up 600 yards too. You couldnt possibly do any worse than that!

I still don't understand why you don't move your two fastest safties up to cover the WR's so they can get off the blocks easier on clear runs much better than the corners and you are also daring them to throw the ball and get out of their comfort zone.

So you are basically playing a 4 safety defense so you are bigger and stronger on the outsides with better tacklers to make plays on the outside runs.

How many times did our weak underside corners get absolutely pancaked by their 6"5 wr's? 20 times? 30? Couldn't be less than that. They were basically useless out there.

Why not at least TRY something different like that? The results couldn't possibly be any worse than giving up 600 yards and 8.5 yards per carry. It's inept coaching like that which should cost a guy his job. Not even trying to do anything different when you are getting decimated over and over and over again. Not good enough at the fcs level, he definitely won't be good enough against bigger stronger faster offenses at the fbs and bcs level when we play those schools.

I'm already having nightmares of Navy's triple option rushing for 1000 yards and an all time NCAA record against us with bill Dee staring on in disbelief from the sideline.
12-10-2012 07:17 AM
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

Fire this coach, fire that coach....blah blah blah.... That is the easiest thing for any internet wannabe to say...and say it over and over again.

Did some of you ever stop to think it might be a function of the personnel on the field? Our defensive backfield has always been undersized by even FCS standards. You can coach up players to improve skill levels and/or technique but you can't coach up size and height. I love Evans' heart, but have you seen him on the corner lined up against some of the WRs we face? He looks them square into their numbers...... And some of the others, please, at least Evans has some girth to his shortness. I'm not trying to knock a player because he is short, you cannot change genetics, but we are undersized, and maybe a little slow in the defensive backfield. But even great coaching cannot overcome a lack of size and talent. Size and Talent will overcome a lot of our issues. The real solution is getting bigger and better players in those spots.

If you look at the commitments we've gotten coming in for 2013 almost 65% are defensive players. By last count 1/2 of the 3* commitments are defensive players. The coaching staff knows the need is out there, and by how they are recruiting they are going hard to correct the issue.
12-10-2012 10:01 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

(12-10-2012 10:01 AM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  Fire this coach, fire that coach....blah blah blah.... That is the easiest thing for any internet wannabe to say...and say it over and over again.

Did some of you ever stop to think it might be a function of the personnel on the field? Our defensive backfield has always been undersized by even FCS standards. You can coach up players to improve skill levels and/or technique but you can't coach up size and height. I love Evans' heart, but have you seen him on the corner lined up against some of the WRs we face? He looks them square into their numbers...... And some of the others, please, at least Evans has some girth to his shortness. I'm not trying to knock a player because he is short, you cannot change genetics, but we are undersized, and maybe a little slow in the defensive backfield. But even great coaching cannot overcome a lack of size and talent. Size and Talent will overcome a lot of our issues. The real solution is getting bigger and better players in those spots.

If you look at the commitments we've gotten coming in for 2013 almost 65% are defensive players. By last count 1/2 of the 3* commitments are defensive players. The coaching staff knows the need is out there, and by how they are recruiting they are going hard to correct the issue.

+1

Cowart is 5'9 as well. True freshmen Malique Johnson and Fellonte Misher are both 6'2 and are going to be very good defensive backs. The experience they gained this year is going to help them a lot next year.

Wilder has said several times that defensive back is easily the hardest position to transition from high school to college. You don't see a lot of complex routes in high school. Coverages are typically very simple.
12-10-2012 10:11 AM
Dominion Offline
Bench Warmer

Sure .. we want highly qualified experienced FBS-level coaching now ... but you have to pay for that. We're not spending that kind of money right now. Open up those check books, folks ... It's about to get real expensive.
12-10-2012 10:12 AM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
None of our coaches have experience at the FBS level. Most have gained their experience here at ODU. If you take away that ODU coaching experience, one would have to giggle a little bit.

One thing is for sure, they'll be FBS coaches in 2014.

The problem that has plagued us since the beginning was our downfall in the FCS.

Defense. How many times have we been burned on 3rd and long situations by a play they just ran the last 5 times they were 3rd and long. lol. It's a joke. GSU had that one pass play they ran to keep their drives alive. That miss direction pass across the field. I bet the GSU players were laughing that they were actually able to get away with that play more than once.

In my mind the FCS campaign was a failure. That missing component is the reason we are leaving the FCS with nothing. Don't give me the winning records, the honors that our players recieved or the "we just started 4 years ago" argument. A better D would have propelled us further in the playoffs last year. We would be Nat. Champs in 2012 with a stronger D. Unstoppable.

Forget the TH fumble. Forget the 4th and 6 attempt. The defense is the root problem of our woes from the beginning. Remember the sloppy tackling in the Monmouth game? It hasn't changed to this day.

Also, as we move on to the FBS, how about we try to get a running back based on his physical capabilities and not because his school won the last 100 State Championships.

Defense. It does the program good.

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 04:40 PM by Sirloin Burger.)
12-10-2012 11:17 AM
finalcloud Offline
2nd String

(12-10-2012 11:17 AM)Sirloin Burger Wrote:  Defense. It does the program good.

+1, prime example...Notre Dame.
12-10-2012 12:51 PM
Advertisement

gilla Offline
Bench Warmer

Defense wins championships. The offense gets you there, yet the D closes the deal. Getting outscored 28-0 in the 4th Q at home in a playoff game (when you have a two touchdown lead) is no-where near acceptable. We knew coming into the game how easy the momentum has been taken away from us in past games. It happened in the wrong half unfortunately. It usually happens that we lose the game in the first half and recover in the second. I think the coaching adjustments by GSU were excellent at the half. We may find that the reason someone was fired from our coaching ranks is because of the lack of adjustments on D in the second half.

It’s amazing how good we are on one side of the ball. And so weak on the other side of the ball. It’s not been the athletes on D so much as directive instruction and guidance it appears. Blown coverage’s, over pursuit, eyes away from ball for the front 7, and just poor tackling techniques a lot of the time. Not to disagree with an earlier post....YES we have been under stacked at defensive talent to a degree as well.

We need to get real serious on this issue related to DEFENSE. Coach Dee has had one season as the head Defensive Coordinator. If you look at some of the active Super Bowl winning pro coaches they came from Div II backgrounds (and no pro playing experience): Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, and Mike Tomlin. The point is given the chance what do you do? Do you step up and change some things to make your portion of the team great? Bill Dee needs to show that with an implementation of a scheme that works. I think the three coaches I mentioned had no real "big program" experience, yet they moved along quickly with proven success. Coach Dee has a heck of an opportunity..........he needs to make the adjustments for a scheme that works.......and yes the sooner the better.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 12:56 PM by gilla.)
12-10-2012 12:52 PM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

Coach Dee moved to DC after just one year at ODU, that shows you how much trust Bobby has in Coach Dee. He knows football and is an excellent recruiter.
12-10-2012 02:50 PM
Heisman

It remains to be seen how well he "knows football" when you see a defense get gashed ALL SEASON LONG regardless of opponent or the type of offense you are matching up with.

If I had seen even an ounce of improvement over the course of the season I might feel differently but in fact, I saw next to none.

Giving up 600 rushing yards in a home playoff game is absolutely unacceptable at any level regardless of talent disparities, which frankly weren't THAT big. It's not like we were Norfolk state bad. We had some talent but we sure didn't see any big plays made the entire game. Our secondary player not being smart enough to just simply fall on the ball in the end zone and instead trying to pick it up shows the ultimate lack of understanding and poor poor coaching on what to do in that situation.

Sorry there is just no other way to explain it. If you've even watched football for an entire season, much less played it your entire life, how do you not have the intelligence or instincts to fall on that ball? Because you want to make sportscenter with some great highlight return, that's how. Inexcusable.
12-10-2012 07:29 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/odus-wil...ense-again

Wilder says Coach Dee is doing a great job.

“I feel like coach Dee is the guy to lead us on that side of the ball,” he said. “I saw improvement this season. The old saying is that Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s going to take time to create the kind of defense we need.”

lol, OMG.

Phoebus is not the only pipeline in the 757. You probably don't want to release him for fear of a backlash from Phoebus recruits. Now you're stuck with him. Well I checked this year and Phoebus got rocked by a Norfolk school. Will you hire Lake Taylor Coach Hank Sawyer now?

You said you want an experienced coach to replace Malloy yet you don't hold the same criteria for your Defensive Coordinator position?

Excellent.
12-11-2012 02:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.