Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Benson
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Benson
So, now Benson is trying to stifle free speach.

http://www.dnj.com/article/20121207/SPOR...ck_check=1

I gave this guy too much credit when I said he was unfit and a loose cannon the day after he took the job. Let me be clear. I am not suddenly coming to conclusion that Benson was an awful hire for the Sun Belt. I made that call at BlueRaiderzone.com nearly 10 months ago.

Since taking over, he has done absolutley nothing to establish that he is fit to lead an organizatoin. If anything, all he has done since the day he has taken the job is further provide unequivocal evidence to contrary.

I really feel bad for the rest of the schools in the league who we have developed a close bond to. All of you are at risk as long as he is in charge of the Sun Belt. I hope you guys find a way out or at least get him removed from that position. Honestly, does anyone have confidence in him at this point?
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 08:33 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
12-07-2012 08:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
RE: Benson
I like that Benson appears to be trying (unlike Waters who was content to sit and do nothing), but I am not sure what he is trying is actually working. In fact, I am pretty sure it is failing.
12-07-2012 08:42 AM
GaSouthern Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia So.
If Benson had not added UTA, TxSt and GaSt then the SBC would look like this...

Troy
USA
ULM
UL
stAte
WKU
UALR
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 09:00 AM by GaSouthern.)
12-07-2012 08:59 AM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I am so glad to away from Mr. Peanut
12-07-2012 09:00 AM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(12-07-2012 08:59 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  If Benson had not added UTA, TxSt and GaSt then the SBC would look like this...

Troy
USA
ULM
UL
stAte
WKU
UALR

Good point. I think Benson would get even more backlash for not being proactive about adding schools.
12-07-2012 09:01 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
I have to disagree. I feel he is trying as best he can given the environment. He can only do so much with the product. There is no way he can keep greedy schools from jumping ship, given the current financial situation of the SBC. Heck, it appears every commish is now at the mercy of the environment. He can only do so much to sell potential member schools on the SBC. Ultimately, it is those schools decision to make with regarding to joining the league. for the most part, it appears those potentil members are sitting back and waiting for the environment to somewhat stabilize before deciding. So, cut the guy a break. In the end, he nor anyone else, can force a particular bowl to take a particular team that is not contracted to that bowl. All he can do is sell the program to the bowl as hard as he can. Ultimately, the bowl has to make a decision it feels is financially sound.
12-07-2012 09:05 AM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(12-07-2012 09:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  I have to disagree. I feel he is trying as best he can given the environment. He can only do so much with the product. There is no way he can keep greedy schools from jumping ship, given the current financial situation of the SBC. Heck, it appears every commish is now at the mercy of the environment. He can only do so much to sell potential member schools on the SBC. Ultimately, it is those schools decision to make with regarding to joining the league. for the most part, it appears those potentil members are sitting back and waiting for the environment to somewhat stabilize before deciding. So, cut the guy a break. In the end, he nor anyone else, can force a particular bowl to take a particular team that is not contracted to that bowl. All he can do is sell the program to the bowl as hard as he can. Ultimately, the bowl has to make a decision it feels is financially sound.

Greedy schools....that's a laugh. The Sun Belt is what its always been and that is a nursery for larger confrences. Until an ESPN comes along and says "Sun Belt, I like what you've done; here's a gazillion dollars to attract schools to your conference", the Sun Belt aint going to change. Schools are always going to do what Deep Throat said to the Washington Post and 'follow the money'.
12-07-2012 09:13 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(12-07-2012 09:01 AM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 08:59 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  If Benson had not added UTA, TxSt and GaSt then the SBC would look like this...

Troy
USA
ULM
UL
stAte
WKU
UALR

Good point. I think Benson would get even more backlash for not being proactive about adding schools.
I wish the CEO's would have listened to him and gone to 12 when he told them too.

So far Benson has been a very good hire for the SBC, and they are very luck to have him.
12-07-2012 09:14 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Other then Slive(SEC) and DeLaney(Big 10) who is considered a good commish??? Ultimately he can only do what the school presidents allow him to do. The thing I wish he would do is communicate better. Lack of announcements from his office are frustrating during all of this.

But in the end, he is the head of the monster and he will take blame for everything that happens and will get no credit when it is due.

The SBC, it is what it is. Stop being delusional about that.
12-07-2012 09:43 AM
Heisman

(12-07-2012 09:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  I feel he is trying as best he can given the environment.

I don't want a commissioner that just gives it his best shot. Trying is for first graders.

As Yoda said there is no try. There is do and do not.

The underlying point that I was trying to get across is that he is not a leader. Adding two or three lower division schools does not illustrate that he is effective. He doesn't have a good track record of putting together good TV deals. He doesn't have a good track record in building unity and consensus. Of the quality leadership traits that good leaders have I have a hard time finding one except maybe he's willing to act.

He's only been on the job for less than a year and has already lost four schools which is completley in line with his record. Had the Sun Belt hired a strong leader the conference might be headed in a very different direction right now.

But if you think he was the right person for this job I won't argue. I'll just tell you good luck.
12-07-2012 09:52 AM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(12-07-2012 09:52 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  As Yoda said there is no try. There is do and do not.

Winner.
12-07-2012 09:57 AM
Advertisement

Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
(12-07-2012 09:52 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I don't want a commissioner that just gives it his best shot. Trying is for first graders.

As Yoda said there is no try. There is do and do not.

The underlying point that I was trying to get across is that he is not a leader. Adding two or three lower division schools does not illustrate that he is effective. He doesn't have a good track record of putting together good TV deals. He doesn't have a good track record in building unity and consensus. Of the quality leadership traits that good leaders have I have a hard time finding one except maybe he's willing to act.

He's only been on the job for less than a year and has already lost four schools which is completley in line with his record. Had the Sun Belt hired a strong leader the conference might be headed in a very different direction right now.

But if you think he was the right person for this job I won't argue. I'll just tell you good luck.

Kudos on the Yoda quote.

You're not right though. You can't put all the blame on Benson for what's going on. He's barely been here a year for one. Also, the SBC is the bottom rung on the ladder. There's not a school here that wouldn't jump given the opportunity and no about of politicking on Benson's(or anyone for that matter) part is going to change that.
12-07-2012 09:59 AM
Heisman

I didn't blame Benson for anything. I said he's not a leader, he's ineffective as a commissioner and wasn't the right person for the job.
12-07-2012 10:01 AM
Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
(12-07-2012 10:01 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I didn't blame Benson for anything. I said he's not a leader, he's ineffective as a commissioner and wasn't the right person for the job.
Maybe, maybe not but he is in for the long haul, and you guys are not.

If one bowl eligible team had to be left out this year I'm glad it was your school, for the obvious reason.
12-07-2012 10:06 AM
Heisman

BTW, I know that the Sun Belt is on the bottom and in all liklihood schools would have jumped.

But if we would have brought someone in that could have unified the conference, instilled confidence in the plan going forward maybe just maybe it would have turned out different. For instance, Benson drew a line in the sand with MT from day one. That's not how you build unity. Not to take anything away from Georgia State but Benson didn't even set up any official visits to the school before adding them. Our president and AD wanted to make the trip, talk to the people at GSU and just get a feel about where they were headed before they made a decision but Benson wanted it done right away. Not good leadership there. Again, nothing against Georgia State. I'm just talking about doing your due diligence.

Just in observing how things have gone in the past year I really haven't been given any reason to have confidence in him. I don't think many of the AD's are either.
12-07-2012 10:07 AM
Heisman

(12-07-2012 10:06 AM)Seminole Indian Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 10:01 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I didn't blame Benson for anything. I said he's not a leader, he's ineffective as a commissioner and wasn't the right person for the job.
Maybe, maybe not but he is in for the long haul, and you guys are not.

If one bowl eligible team had to be left out this year I'm glad it was your school, for the obvious reason.

Nope, not with that guy at the helm.
12-07-2012 10:08 AM
Advertisement

Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
(12-07-2012 10:07 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  BTW, I know that the Sun Belt is on the bottom and in all liklihood schools would have jumped.

But if we would have brought someone in that could have unified the conference, instilled confidence in the plan going forward maybe just maybe it would have turned out different. For instance, Benson drew a line in the sand with MT from day one. That's not how you build unity. Not to take anything away from Georgia State but Benson didn't even set up any official visits to the school before adding them. Our president and AD wanted to make the trip, talk to the people at GSU and just get a feel about where they were headed before they made a decision but Benson wanted it done right away. Not good leadership there. Again, nothing against Georgia State. I'm just talking about doing your due diligence.

Just in observing how things have gone in the past year I really haven't been given any reason to have confidence in him. I don't think many of the AD's are either.

It wouldn't have turned out different. How can you be arguing this when your school is one who left? It makes sense to get out of this place and go where the money is. Everyone's just trying to balance their books and it's a bit easier when you're getting paid more.

You obviously know more about what goes on behind closed doors than I do. What line in the sand are you talking about?

I've never heard of a conference "officially visiting" someone they've invited. He was on campus a week prior and I'm pretty sure he was with some representatives from member schools.
12-07-2012 10:14 AM
CurveItAround Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Mean Green
Now you've done it. You guys have gone and riled up Hot Karl.
12-07-2012 10:14 AM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
I'm sure a solid plan and good leadership would have kept schools from leaving the SBC. Just like it did CUSA....or the MWC....or the ACC.....or the Big 12.....or the Big East.
12-07-2012 10:16 AM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-07-2012 09:13 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 09:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  I have to disagree. I feel he is trying as best he can given the environment. He can only do so much with the product. There is no way he can keep greedy schools from jumping ship, given the current financial situation of the SBC. Heck, it appears every commish is now at the mercy of the environment. He can only do so much to sell potential member schools on the SBC. Ultimately, it is those schools decision to make with regarding to joining the league. for the most part, it appears those potentil members are sitting back and waiting for the environment to somewhat stabilize before deciding. So, cut the guy a break. In the end, he nor anyone else, can force a particular bowl to take a particular team that is not contracted to that bowl. All he can do is sell the program to the bowl as hard as he can. Ultimately, the bowl has to make a decision it feels is financially sound.

Greedy schools....that's a laugh. The Sun Belt is what its always been and that is a nursery for larger confrences. Until an ESPN comes along and says "Sun Belt, I like what you've done; here's a gazillion dollars to attract schools to your conference", the Sun Belt aint going to change. Schools are always going to do what Deep Throat said to the Washington Post and 'follow the money'.

Sadly, his post is an example of what it has comes down to in the end. Those that have bought into what Benson is doing and have no desire to move up to compete with their peers are going to defend Benson and attack the programs exiting the Sun Belt.

I think Benson has tried to save the Sun Belt Conference, but at this point he has no leverage to renegotiate television contracts or improve bowl opportunities for the conference. His only course of action now is to add current FCS programs and try to stabilize the conference. Unfortunately this is not the conference most of have envisioned it would be and programs most of our peers are exiting the conference. WKU, ASU and UL have major decisions to make or they will remain here in the Sun Belt.
12-07-2012 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.