ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I know I will catch heat for this, but if you want to make some EASY money...
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
VCU is currently only -15 against us. Yes, it's sad that we are 15 point underdogs to our arch rival in our own house and it's even sadder that we won't even cover that spread.

I know it's damn near impossible to bet against your own team because then you'd actually have to root against them, but honestly, is there anyone on this board who TRULY, HONESTLY believes we lose by less than 15?

We lost by 9 at home to UTSA and 12 to Cleveland State, by 5 at home to VMI and by 9 at W&M. We just lost by 28 at home to Richmond.

Does anyone expect Bazemore to walk out of that locker room Friday night? Does anyone even expect a game? I'm just being honest here, we are talking about the potential to make A LOT of money.

Is there any chance we stay within 25-30 of a team that wants to destory us on our own court in front of our fans (and a gym packed with VCU fans who bought tickets from our fans who have given up), much less 15?

I mean seriously......if an ATM is spitting our free money would you say (I feel bad for that poor bank), do you walk away from it or do you collect it? This is the real world here......money is money.....so do you take the points and pick VCU to cover the 15?
12-07-2012 01:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fatalisk Offline
All American

RE: I know I will catch heat for this, but if you want to make some EASY money...
This post fails.
12-07-2012 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

RE: I know I will catch heat for this, but if you want to make some EASY money...
(12-07-2012 01:14 AM)Fatalisk Wrote:  This post fails.

Agreed.
12-07-2012 01:35 AM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
Line started at -13.5 (or lower) so money is going towards VCU.
12-07-2012 01:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BigBlueAlum2011 Offline
Bench Warmer

[Image: picard-facepalm.jpg]
12-07-2012 02:02 AM
Heisman

(12-07-2012 02:02 AM)BigBlueAlum2011 Wrote:  [Image: picard-facepalm.jpg]

Oh look, you captured my exact feelings when

A. I see Blaine Taylor walk out of the locker room.
B. I listen to Blaine Taylor excuse terrible play as a "learning experience" on the postgame show even though it's coming from guys who are NOT freshman (you know exactly who I am talking about and if you don't then you don't really matter anyways).
C. I look up at the scoreboard after Friday night's shelacking is over.

The only thing I can change is C because at least I will have made some money off of it. Or is that it's just so uncouth that our esteemed fanbase can't even bring themselves to comment on it? You know damn well if you saw Pat Kennedy's Towson team only giving up 15 points at home to this current VCU team you'd bet your life savings on it, but because it's ODU and the Amazing Blaniac it's somehow not ok? Even worse, imagine Pat Kennedy's Towson against this current VCU team but with nearly an entire backcourt of freshman guards who have not only never faced it before, but have barely even faced anything LIKE IT before as this is only their 9th career college basketball game! We might have 30 turnovers by the end of this game. You know I'm right, you just hate to admit it so somehow that makes me "the bad guy".

We are talking about gambling here, not handing out participation awards for a good effort. If you don't have anything to add about this particular topic, move on, this thread isn't for you.

The line has moved quite a bit in a very short time since being posted because everyone is jumping all over VCU. I think that pretty much says it all. This may be a rivalry game, but as of right now, it isn't much of one.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not the one who has recruited a team that is currently getting 15 point spreads at home against an arch rival. I'm actually the one who tried to warn people about it 2 years ago when everyone was celebrating Blaine getting us back to the tourney and losing again. Don't believe me? Look it up. I gave Blaine credit for winning the CAA title in Richmond but I knocked him for the game against Butler (although Butler is an extremely tough team to beat and a lot of good coaches have been outfoxed by Brad Stevens so he gets a pass for that) but I was pointing out that the recruiting was terrible and we were going to pay the price.

Then Blaine tried to bail on us and couldn't get a single solitary taker, even going as low as to try and find a job in freaking Wyoming. He knew what was going on and so did I, but the "usual folk", and you know who I am talking about, said it didn't matter and Blaine could develop anyone and anybody.

Well.....here we are.....one of the worst teams in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL. Last year was a rebuilding year. Then we lost an entire recruiting class in 1 offseason because once again, Blaine gambled on some kids because he couldn't find a stud player and now it's a complete and utter collapse.

So if we're gonna suck and there is no doubt we suck (don't freaking sugarcoat it, someone needs to say this stuff otherwise things won't change) might as well get some of the money back I threw into the pot that pays Blaine Taylor's salary. If you see something wrong with that then that's your problem.....not mine.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 03:44 AM by Razor Ramon Monarch.)
12-07-2012 03:40 AM
Advertisement

Dominion Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ODU
The better bet was earlier in the week when you could get Richmond -4.5. 15 is too much IMO. I'd take VCU -10 though. i wouldn't bet ODU +15 either, so it's not like I'm all that confident in the Monarchs .
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 07:24 AM by Dominion.)
12-07-2012 07:23 AM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

Confidence or not, one never bets against his Alma Mater like that. I've kept my mouth shut because it's been full of foot lately, but I simply cannot agree with this. If money is what you want, bet another game.
12-07-2012 07:31 AM
oldfart Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GSU Eagles
Great fan y'all got there....
12-07-2012 07:39 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(12-07-2012 03:40 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Oh look, you captured my exact feelings when ...

it's just so uncouth that our esteemed fanbase can't even bring themselves to comment on it ....

If you don't have anything to add about this particular topic, move on, this thread isn't for you.

Don't shoot the messenger.

[S]omeone needs to say this stuff ....

If you see something wrong with that then that's your problem.....not mine.

I've offered just a little bit of editing for clarity. Just wanted to make sure no one mistook your post for disloyalty.

Razor, I trust that you understand that you can be right and wrong at the same time?

It's kind of like when the dog takes a dump on the living room carpet. Yeah, it's at least partly the owners' fault for not letting Fido out when he whimpered to let everyone know that he really needed to go. But it's not like he being was a "good dog" either. The uncarpeted kitchen floor was available to him.

So you clean up the mess, and try to do better about letting Fido out more often. But it also doesn't make Fido a good dog. Especially if he insists on continuing to take dumps on the living room carpet just to make his point.

No, I will not bet against ODU, no matter what the line. And I'm not even a graduate of this very fine institution.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 07:46 AM by AdoptedMonarch.)
12-07-2012 07:43 AM
Heisman

I'm a capitalist pig. Maybe that's why I've always wanted a new head coach, because I expect more from this University and quite frankly, Blaine isn't delivering. I'm not going to rehash the whole 1 win......"but 3 caa championships" argument here because it is tired and played out.

I'm just saying that this isn't about loyalty, it's not like I am going to root for VCU from now on, it's not like I am giving up my season tickets for good (I will absolutely give them up next year and every year from that point on until Blaine is gone since money talks and bullsh*t walks) but I fully expect a beatdown in this rivalry game and I fully expect us to win between 5 and 8 total games this season and I expect Blaine to be fired at the end of the year.

So I consider this Blaine's "gift" if you will, to me. He put this team together, the team that will be blown out tonight. Maybe someone should show him this exact post so he can rally the team around it and they can come out and play with any spark or shred of emotion that has been missing all freaking year long because playing in Blaine's system kills a basketball players soul. Who knows.

But like I said, as a pure Capitalist, when I see a chance to make a ton of money, I go for it. It's why I love investing in the market, you take a chance but if you make an educated one, you can make a damn good amount of money.

My education from ODU tells me we just lost at home by 28 to a team with a 6"6 center that dominated Wright Painter and Larsen all night. My education tells me we start to freshman at PG and SG and that in only their ninth collegiate game, they have NEVER, EVER seen anything remotely like VCU's press before. Not even close.

My education tells me that Blaine struggled to beat VCU in the Ted even with his BEST teams, much less one of the worst in college basketball this year and much much less the worst team he's ever had against one of the best VCU's ever had.

And even despite all that, I only bet 300, I bought 3 points to lower the line to -12 and took the safe route and my 300 only wins me 180. Not gonna bet big money because I want our team to win. I hope they make me choke on my bet. But somehow, don't think that is going to happen.

So I decided to recoup the exact price of my season tickets with said bet. Call it a mini, one time protest against Blaine Taylor and his coaching/recruiting ability. I will still root for us to win because quite frankly, it'd be well worth 300 dollars down the drain to ruin VCU's season this year (there is no way in hell they could come back to at-large status with a 5-4 OOC record and a loss to lowly 1-7 ODU this year. So despite my bet, I will still root for ODU to win, that is how I justify this.

But, when the inevitable does in fact occur, I will feel much better about having spent not only 180 for my season ticket, but in the knowledge that I got that money back and that this loss will eventually cement Taylor's coaching career at ODU.

I honestly can't watch much more of his rockfight basketball. It burns my retinas. I can't watch him pull Batten again after he makes 3 straight baskets. I can't watch any more of his insane substitution patterns or whatever the hell it is he throws out there that he calls an "offense" when it's really just passing it around the perimeter (with an occasional pass down low that gets kicked back out to get passed around the perimeter some more) followed by a jacked up off balanced 3 pointer with a few seconds left on the shot clock. Just cannot watch it anymore. I'll still be at the game. I'll still watch as much as I can stomach.

I'll be the one yelling as loud as I can at the VCU fans to sit down and shut up when they are taunting us mercilessly after blowing us out in our own house. But will I feel bad about getting my money back for this season by taking VCU at -12? Only in so much as I bet on VCU and will need to take a shower.....but I will feel better when I get the money I paid that went towards Taylor's salary back and when he is gone back to Montana or Wyoming and we get a young energetic coach in here to rebuild this utter debacle.

And again, for the last time, I hope we win simply because I loathe VCU and it would be hilarious to ruin their season. But quite frankly, I want Taylor gone for the good of ODU and I think I've stated my case pretty clearly why that is in our best interest. So no, I won't feel bad winning money off of Taylor's crappy coaching. Just how it is. I still will feel bad for the players for having to get their butts kicked by VCU because our coach sent them out to battle with a knife at a gunfight. Or rather, more aptly.......a rock to a gunfight.
12-07-2012 08:15 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(12-07-2012 07:39 AM)oldfart Wrote:  Great fan y'all got there....

You know nothing about what's going on with ODU basketball. You are a blind hick in the woods. Does Ga Southern even HAVE a basketball program? Have you ever even been to a game?

Somehow I doubt it. So really.....STFU.
12-07-2012 08:16 AM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Dominion is absolutely right. If anyone wanted to make money by betting against the Monarchs, it should have happened on Tuesday night. I'd never lay 15 points, especially on the road.
12-07-2012 08:49 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Isn't this what many of you folks wanted? Expectations have clearly been lowered. Happy? I guess this is a good argument to keep Blaine Taylor.
12-07-2012 08:56 AM
Heisman

(12-07-2012 08:49 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Dominion is absolutely right. If anyone wanted to make money by betting against the Monarchs, it should have happened on Tuesday night. I'd never lay 15 points, especially on the road.

I still held out hope for this team after the Murray State road performance that we might be ok or at least competent going forward.

Richmond changed all that in a half of basketball.

Again, never once bet against ODU before in my entire life and I don't plan on doing it again. Never bet against the Giants before, even during the Super Bowl when I thought the Patriots were probably going to kill us when they were 18-0 the first time around. Still didn't bet against them.

I absolutely hate that Taylor has put together a team that is getting 15 points at home. I loathe it.

But what I loathe even more is that VCU will cover it easily. And again, I lowered it to 12 just to be safe, it wins less money but is a much safer bet just in case we somehow manage to hit some garbage time 5 pointers or something, ya never know.

But I do know this.......with Briante Weber, Daniels and Theus leading that press, and Old Dominion starting 2 freshman in the backcourt and bringing a freshman and sophomore off the bench to replace them, and all 3 freshman being TRUE freshman who have never experienced an environment like a ODU-VCU game nor a full real college full court press, much less a full court press like the one that VCU employs.......covering 12 points should be the first half line....not the overall game line.

Blaine isn't a good enough coach to keep us close to a VCU team that cannot mess around in this game and take a 300+ rpi loss OOC. Just the facts gentleman. Sad but true.
12-07-2012 08:57 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-07-2012 08:15 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  I fully expect us to win between 5 and 8 total games this season...

I don't. I think we split with UNCW and beat Hofstra. 3 wins.
12-07-2012 08:59 AM
Advertisement

finalcloud Offline
2nd String

I'm not sure what side to be on with this discussion. Razor has every right to make a buck when he sees a good thing. On the other hand, is it a moral thing to bet against your university that you support with funds/season tickets/etc.
12-07-2012 09:00 AM
odublue Offline
Water Engineer

Razor= Benedict Arnold...Good thing he wasn't around back in the day, he probably would have shot George Washington and he would be sing the praises of that jolly ole sport of Cricket! Cheerio...
12-07-2012 09:27 AM
Heisman

(12-07-2012 09:00 AM)finalcloud Wrote:  I'm not sure what side to be on with this discussion. Razor has every right to make a buck when he sees a good thing. On the other hand, is it a moral thing to bet against your university that you support with funds/season tickets/etc.

Like I said, I'd much rather lose 300 dollars and completely ruin VCU's party/smack talking/season in a heartbeat. But I'm also semi afraid if we did somehow pull a Chaminade type upset, it might just allow Wood to keep Taylor around another year or two and quite frankly, I just cannot stomach that in any way shape or form.

He has to go after this season and we all know, whether we want to front about it or not on a message board and beat our chests like we are all superfans, that VCU is going to give us a thorough spanking.

I've been following ODU basketball since I was a little kid. Getting Odell Hodge's and Chris Gatling's (yes, he actually DID give me his autograph at the McDonald's when it was still super ghetto) autographs made my month, if not year back then and I didn't care whether we won or lost, I was there watching ever game with my pop.

Now, expectations have been raised. I've given my own money and god knows how much of my time to this University both as a student and contributing alum/season ticket holder. I expect better than what we are currently getting.

So I don't undertake doing this lightly. I've never done it before and even if I win, I won't do it again this season because I don't want to make money off of this team playing badly.

I am simply getting my money back that went to pay Blaine's salary and that's it. If you see a problem with it so be it. Call in the coach's show and tell Blaine to do a better job coaching and recruiting and I won't ever have to do it again.

Or better yet, join me and get on the phone or write a letter to Selig to ask for Taylor's job and for a revitalization of this program, it badly needs it.....as evidenced by us getting 15 points at home and then a long time ODU fan/alum immediately going on the internet and betting 300 on it because he knows there is no chance we cover.

That's what is really sad about this thread. I was posting on the zone before Taylor had ever won his first CAA Championship in 04-05. Back then I was quite fond of BT for rebuilding a program left in ruins by Capel.

There is absolutely proof of this on the Zone if you want to go find it.

The exact point I soured on Blaine as a coach is completely and entirely clear as day in my mind. It was when Blaine returned 10/11 players from a team that took Final 4 Michigan St. to the wire the year before and not only couldn't get them to finish higher then 4th in the CAA that year, but couldn't even get them out of the quarterfinals against Northeastern and JJB, basically letting a 3 man team bounce us out of the first round. I remember the shoe toss clear as day.

And I remember walking out of the Coliseum on that Saturday and thinking to myself.....what the f*ck was that??? Did we seriously just lose with Loughton, Hunter, Dahi, VV, Drew, Henderson etc. to a 3 man team that had just played the night before from Boston (now granted, at the time I didn't know JJB was going to be an NBA Champion one day)? Did one of the best teams in ODU history the year before return pretty much everyone and just completely crap the bed the entire year?

That was when I started watching Taylor a little more closely. Watching in game strategies, watching plays called after timeouts, watching his offensive patterns, watching his substitution patterns, observing the way he'd put guys in the doghouse or take out a hot hand for no reason at all.

Then the whole mystique just crumbled. Sure, he won a couple CAA titles......then he eventually managed to squeak out a 50-49 first round win against a crappy Notre Dame team......but I knew he was never going to be the guy to take us to that next step. He just didn't have it in him. And then when he basically quit on this program and wanted out, I knew that would eventually be the beginning of the end for him.

That's why I wanted him out sooner rather than later. I knew this year was going to be a strong possibility and that next year will absolutely, in fact, be even worse.

So it is knowing that I have seen this particular year coming for quite some time, when we finally find out that in fact, the emperor has no clothes, that I finally break down and make this bet. Blaine only wins when he was a massive amount of talent and even then, his offensive sets are so poor we just have to destroy teams on the offensive glass to win.

That 09-10 team had 3 NBA D-league players on it (Coop, Hassell, Baze) and a Euro beast who can go outside, inside, shoot the J, post up, take guys off the dribble etc. and the most we could do was score 50 points against Notre Dame.

Now we are seeing what his offense looks like with much less talent and quite frankly, it's pretty much horrifying to any die hard ODU fan to watch. So if I have to keep watching it even though I saw it coming a mile away and warned people about it and tried to get people to see the writing on the wall, I will at least get my money back since I consider giving it to Blaine Taylor in the first place a huge mistake when I knew exactly what was going to happen this year already.

The worst part is, even I did think it would be THIS bad. I actually had hoped we would at least break the 10 win mark. But alas, we are getting 15 at home to VCU and we won't even cover.

But I'll attend the game like every other.....and root for ODU regardless of the money simply because it would be the best Christmas present ever to ruin VCU's season......but when we do lose, and lose substantially, I will at least have a small little token of something to go home with, knowing that I got my money back because of Taylor's sh*tty coaching.
12-07-2012 09:31 AM
Heisman

(12-07-2012 09:27 AM)odublue Wrote:  Razor= Benedict Arnold...Good thing he wasn't around back in the day, he probably would have shot George Washington and he would be sing the praises of that jolly ole sport of Cricket! Cheerio...

Yes, clearly when I stated above that I will still root for ODU, I made it clear that I am Benedict Arnold.

If anyone is Arnold, it is Blaine Taylor. He tried to ditch us for every single possibly BCS opening, even sinking as far as to negotiate with Wyoming and having their people fly out to meet him (and even THEY didn't want him!!!!!) when he saw what he had coming back after Hassell's class left and now he is taking the program to depth's far lower than Capel ever did. Even Capel never lost to VMI at home.

And you expect me to support him? You've lost your mind.
12-07-2012 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.