Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: MWC meeting this weekend.
Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Conference realignment tops agenda. Will they expand? If so, who will they take?

http://www.rgj.com/article/20121205/SPOR...ck_check=1
12-06-2012 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CalallenStang Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
I keep hearing rumblings about UTEP and Tulsa. If it is going to happen I wish it would happen already.
12-06-2012 10:39 AM
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: OT: MWC meeting this weekend.
You would have to think UTEP, Tulsa & if they wanted to get really creative La Tech & USM.
12-06-2012 10:54 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
LaTech has spent years trying move back to east. S Miss might jump at that option now that ECU is gone. I guess if LaTech had a partner in S Miss, maybe they would be willing.

FWIW---The Mountain West boards seems to think they are tying to take Tulsa and UTEP from CUSA along with Boise, SDSU, Houston, and SMU from the Big East. They are claiming that they are being allowed to renegotiate thier contract and that those additions would give the Mountain West a solid payday.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 11:01 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-06-2012 10:57 AM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
What has generally been true is central time zone teams would rather be in a more eastern league than a western 1. I find it hard to believe La Tech or USM would really be that interested in the MWC. UTEP makes perfect sense to be interested, but the rest really don't.
12-06-2012 11:00 AM
EdisonDoyle Offline
1st String

I Root For: AAC
Heck, they might get a BE invite.
I could see USM interested if C-USA West went as basically a group. C-USA changed its culture the last 2 realignments. Some like it; some don't. But it certainly caused those that didn't to get on the phone last spring, and last week only added to the urgency.
12-06-2012 11:08 AM
Advertisement

Bluedawg10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: La Tech
La Tech would only be interested if hey had regional partners like USM, SMU, Tulsa, & Houston. Without some version of this group it would pretty much be the WAC again to us. I think it is more realistic to think that La Tech and USM end up in a new version of the Big East over the Mountain West.
12-06-2012 11:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

If im in charge of the Mtn West i invite utep, tulsa, rice & utsa.

You get a west based 14 team conference. Good additional markets with San Antonio & Houston.
12-06-2012 03:36 PM
EPE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNT
(12-06-2012 10:57 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  FWIW---The Mountain West boards seems to think they are tying to take Tulsa and UTEP from CUSA along with Boise, SDSU, Houston, and SMU from the Big East. They are claiming that they are being allowed to renegotiate thier contract and that those additions would give the Mountain West a solid payday.

What is the exit fee from C-USA for UTEP and Tulsa?
12-06-2012 04:39 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(12-06-2012 04:39 PM)EPE Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 10:57 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  FWIW---The Mountain West boards seems to think they are tying to take Tulsa and UTEP from CUSA along with Boise, SDSU, Houston, and SMU from the Big East. They are claiming that they are being allowed to renegotiate thier contract and that those additions would give the Mountain West a solid payday.

What is the exit fee from C-USA for UTEP and Tulsa?

Most believed and quoted exit fee is $500,000 plus any lost tv revenue due to their departure.
12-06-2012 04:41 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(12-06-2012 04:41 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Most believed and quoted exit fee is $500,000 plus any lost tv revenue due to their departure.

Nope, they're in the non-original members, so it's at least another quarter-million, and might be higher.
12-06-2012 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2012 05:10 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 04:41 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Most believed and quoted exit fee is $500,000 plus any lost tv revenue due to their departure.

Nope, they're in the non-original members, so it's at least another quarter-million, and might be higher.

Not according to the bylaws posted on this board a few days ago.
$500,000 for everyone.
12-06-2012 05:29 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(12-06-2012 05:29 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

$500,000 for everyone.

Miner, you'll have to find that post for me, because I don't remember anyone pointing out that bylaw.
12-06-2012 05:37 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2012 05:37 PM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
(12-06-2012 05:29 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  

$500,000 for everyone.

Miner, you'll have to find that post for me, because I don't remember anyone pointing out that bylaw.

Here you go. I was surprised since I've heard the talk about "founding members" and $7 million for the rest, etc. I always wondered why rules would be different for some schools. Apparently they are not.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=603663

Here is one post from the thread, by CougerRed:

We've been through this before. Here's the C-USA By-Laws. See Section 3.06(a)

"On the effective date of any member's withdrawal from the Conference, such member shall pay the Conference a withdrawal fee, which shall be determined as follows:

(a) If the member affords the Conference at least one calendar year prior notice of withdrawal but less than two calendar years prior notice of withdrawal, the member shall pay the Conference a withdrawal fee of (i) $500,000 plus (ii) the aggregate amount, if any, by which the television rights fees received by the remaining members of the Conference pursuant to any and all Conference-level television broadcast and licensing agreements are reduced, as a result of the member's withdrawal, during the five year period immediately subsequent to the effective date of the member's withdrawal."

The question is whether the remaining members' television rights fees are reduced or not. It's a mitigation clause.

Nowhere does it say that departing schools must pay their share of TV revenue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-07-2012 10:56 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
This was a quiet meeting...
12-10-2012 03:19 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Orlando Sentinel started this confusion. If they would read the bylaws the miscommunication would never of happened.
12-10-2012 09:01 AM
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Rumors still have Louisiana and Arkansas State to the MWC to go along with UTEP, Tulsa and possibly Texas St.
12-10-2012 09:48 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-10-2012 03:19 AM)ICB Wrote:  This was a quiet meeting...

So far yes. The MWC meeting is scheduled to end on Tuesday according to MWC posters on their board.

It's entirely possible they will not add anyone but if this meeting brings someone an invite, we should know by Wednesday I would guess.
12-10-2012 09:49 AM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(12-10-2012 09:48 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  Rumors still have Louisiana and Arkansas State to the MWC to go along with UTEP, Tulsa and possibly Texas St.

If so, CUSA could (and probably should) counter with the below:

WKU for its basketball, rivalry with MTSU, and adding another whole state for TV purposes in Kentucky.

GSU (Hotlanta market anyone?) or GASouth( Established FCS team and Fanbase) to add the state of Georgia and basically sew up most of the Southern half of the US in terms of markets.

Everything would then be regional with Texas and FLorida being the "Outlier" states geographically, but each having an instate rival.
12-10-2012 10:20 AM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(12-10-2012 09:48 AM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  Rumors still have Louisiana and Arkansas State to the MWC to go along with UTEP, Tulsa and possibly Texas St.

You can't actually be so stupid that you believe this.
12-10-2012 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.