Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thank you Football Folks!
Bookmark and Share
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Thank you Football Folks!
I just wanted to thank everyone for the past nine years.

There's not been a single day in nine years that I've not had a conversation about ETSU Football and it's role for not only the University but for the region. It's been a good obsession to have because now, after a long fight, it's going to happen.

As we all know, this never should have happened. I can only imagine what conversation we would be having TODAY if we'd had Todd Stansberry replaced with someone with the same vision and mission that he had during his short time in the office of Athletic Director. Dr. Stanton made a huge mistake, it was misguided, knee-jerk, and politically motivated. It still makes me very sad and mad to know that someone that I respected so much thought so little about the student-athletes and the future student-athletes in football and the positive potential to them and to all of us who love ETSU. I still shake my head to think about all the harm this has really done, but now we move forward.

It's taken time to guide the right people away from this bad decision to moving in a direction that is right for everyone.

In the grand landscape of College Athletics, football and men's basketball are the only two parts of the puzzle that brings a school to the table for conference affiliation. Football is the key component, whether people like it or not... if you have it, you are in the conversation... if you don't, you sit and hope somebody will call your number. The Task Force understood that from Day 1.

I'd like to thank everyone for the informed and passionate conversation. I'd said years ago that "we" could make every thread on the message board about football. We've done that because so many people care about the overall direction of our University. To those that got tired of it, sorry, but the only reason we will be getting this done is because of our ability to keep the story alive.

I've made enemies, lost valued friendships and working relationships, and pissed off more people than I can count. All is fair in love and football. I look forward to the time when I can have a conversation with people who run the other way when they see me. I've laughed at you for being afraid of such an insecure, insiginificant man... but I understand your need to shun me and fear his "power"... that's what bad bosses do to folks, they scare you into corners. He has no power of me and soon won't have any power over you. I look forward to that day. I also look forward to giving YOU a big hug as we kick off the new ETSU Football program.

So, it's time for the Feasibility Group to put the plan in place. It will also be time for US to step up, let go of the hurt and the pain and the disappointment, channel our passion for Buccaneer Football into positive steps and efforts. Our work is not over, we have miles to go to get this done right and it's going to get done.

Yesterday I was asked if I was crying when I heard the recommendation that we move forward. No, I didn't cry, I just smiled and talked to Jerry Robertson about what is next. We don't have time to cry, too much work to do. I'll cry at kick off.
12-06-2012 07:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

RE: Thank you Football Folks!
Well said! I think that speaks for many, many loyal and dedicated fans and alumni who want to move the University forward into much better things. Thanks.
12-06-2012 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

(12-06-2012 07:04 AM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  I just wanted to thank everyone for the past nine years.

There's not been a single day in nine years that I've not had a conversation about ETSU Football and it's role for not only the University but for the region. It's been a good obsession to have because now, after a long fight, it's going to happen.

As we all know, this never should have happened. I can only imagine what conversation we would be having TODAY if we'd had Todd Stansberry replaced with someone with the same vision and mission that he had during his short time in the office of Athletic Director. Dr. Stanton made a huge mistake, it was misguided, knee-jerk, and politically motivated. It still makes me very sad and mad to know that someone that I respected so much thought so little about the student-athletes and the future student-athletes in football and the positive potential to them and to all of us who love ETSU. I still shake my head to think about all the harm this has really done, but now we move forward.

It's taken time to guide the right people away from this bad decision to moving in a direction that is right for everyone.

In the grand landscape of College Athletics, football and men's basketball are the only two parts of the puzzle that brings a school to the table for conference affiliation. Football is the key component, whether people like it or not... if you have it, you are in the conversation... if you don't, you sit and hope somebody will call your number. The Task Force understood that from Day 1.

I'd like to thank everyone for the informed and passionate conversation. I'd said years ago that "we" could make every thread on the message board about football. We've done that because so many people care about the overall direction of our University. To those that got tired of it, sorry, but the only reason we will be getting this done is because of our ability to keep the story alive.

I've made enemies, lost valued friendships and working relationships, and pissed off more people than I can count. All is fair in love and football. I look forward to the time when I can have a conversation with people who run the other way when they see me. I've laughed at you for being afraid of such an insecure, insiginificant man... but I understand your need to shun me and fear his "power"... that's what bad bosses do to folks, they scare you into corners. He has no power of me and soon won't have any power over you. I look forward to that day. I also look forward to giving YOU a big hug as we kick off the new ETSU Football program.

So, it's time for the Feasibility Group to put the plan in place. It will also be time for US to step up, let go of the hurt and the pain and the disappointment, channel our passion for Buccaneer Football into positive steps and efforts. Our work is not over, we have miles to go to get this done right and it's going to get done.

Yesterday I was asked if I was crying when I heard the recommendation that we move forward. No, I didn't cry, I just smiled and talked to Jerry Robertson about what is next. We don't have time to cry, too much work to do. I'll cry at kick off.

I love that last paragraph! I'll be right there with you. I don't think I'll ever take football for granted again.
12-06-2012 07:51 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Shoot, the last 9 years were the easy part, now the fun part begins. Whatever you can and are willing to do, when the time comes ETSU is going to need everyone to help get this done.
I've said it before, football is alot of work, every aspect of it and with ETSU traditionally not having a ton of resources, it will take us all.
12-06-2012 07:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.