Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC schools confident about their conference
Bookmark and Share
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
SBC schools confident about their conference
Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks
When #MTSU was forced to immediately declare intent to go to C-USA, Sun Belt meeting to increase exit fee to $10 mill was cancelled

LOL. Purely a political move and I get it. But, this proves that all schools will bolt at a moment's notice given the chance otherwise they'd implement something like this. Any of you that are part of the solidarity movement are out of your mind. Benson is burning bridges for you.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 04:15 PM by MTowho.)
12-03-2012 04:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tuscon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia State
RE: SBC schools confident about their conference
Solidarity in a growing SBC is a nice sentiment. It's just not the reality and as far as getting every member to buy in, it just won't work. Too many people think that if they stay, someone else will jump and ruin it. Might as well jump cause that other person will absolutely jump.
12-03-2012 04:17 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Way too high. Make it maybe 5M at the most. So if someone really wants to leave they can afford it and the rest of the members get some nice cash.
12-03-2012 04:25 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Don't you worry your pretty little head about the Belt. We'll be fine. Here's where the other schools stand right now.

1) USA - We aren't getting a bid from CUSA anytime soon. Mobile-Pensacola is over a million, but its just not big enough. And USM isn't going to want us there. Probably UAB too. We aren't far enough as a program either.
2) stAte - I'll believe that when I see it. stAte is rural. CUSA doesn't do much rural.
3) WKU - They might get a bid due to MTSU, but if they go - they go. We'll live.
4) Troy - never getting a bid from CUSA. They're very rural.
5) ULM - not so long as La Tech is in the conference
6) ULL - See ULM.
7) Ga State - not getting a bid anytime soon
8) Texas State - rural, perhaps if the MWC raids the Western CUSA. Unlikely.

-------------------------------------

9) Ga Southern - highly unlikely they'd get poached. Rural
10) Appy - Rural

We might lose one or at most two more to you guys. CUSA has raided us, but they've taken 3 of the worst programs in the Belt plus MTSU. Our product will be competitive, if not superior to CUSA again next year. CUSA is going to lose a couple of their bowl tie ins as well. I'm not sure the money is going to be much different as we move forward. We'll be fine. Even if we lose WKU.
12-03-2012 04:29 PM
AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
(12-03-2012 04:15 PM)MTowho Wrote:  Adam Sparks ‏@AdamSparks
When #MTSU was forced to immediately declare intent to go to C-USA, Sun Belt meeting to increase exit fee to $10 mill was cancelled

LOL. Purely a political move and I get it. But, this proves that all schools will bolt at a moment's notice given the chance otherwise they'd implement something like this. Any of you that are part of the solidarity movement are out of your mind. Benson is burning bridges for you.

If Sparks is correct, and I have no reason to doubt him, sounds like Peanut used the gambit to uncover a pre-existing secret agreement between CUSA and MT and FAU. For what purpose is unclear unless he either had inside knowledge or was counting heads of where we stood. If the intent was to uncover what appears to be an existing agreement between CUSA and our member schools it suceeded.

I dont think you guys would've agreed to an exit fee last year. Interesting that it wasn't enacted for the remaining schools.

As far as burning bridges, I'm not so sure that burned any bridges for us at least. While other SB schools would've done the same as you, you would've done the same thing were you remaining with the Belt. I think USA has a USM problem in CUSA anyway.
12-03-2012 04:35 PM
Advertisement

MTowho Offline
1st String

(12-03-2012 04:35 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  If the intent was to uncover what appears to be an existing agreement between CUSA and our member schools it suceeded.

I dont think you guys would've agreed to an exit fee last year. Interesting that it wasn't enacted for the remaining schools.

I agree that it succeeded. We agreed to increase it to $1 million because it was likely to pass anyway.
12-03-2012 04:43 PM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
(12-03-2012 04:35 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  I dont think you guys would've agreed to an exit fee last year. Interesting that it wasn't enacted for the remaining schools.

Hate to say it this way, but MT was one of the few schools that could have kept the SBC together and tightly knit. No one is going to enact an exit fee at this point - everyone who possibly can is looking to leave as well.

Once MT decided to bolt, it's really only a matter of time before WKU joins us. And after that ASU is probably on deck.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 04:54 PM by RaiderDoug.)
12-03-2012 04:54 PM
AlaIllTex Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: South Ala
(12-03-2012 04:54 PM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 04:35 PM)AlaIllTex Wrote:  I dont think you guys would've agreed to an exit fee last year. Interesting that it wasn't enacted for the remaining schools.

Hate to say it this way, but MT was one of the few schools that could have kept the SBC together and tightly knit. No one is going to enact an exit fee at this point - everyone who possibly can is looking to leave as well.

Once MT decided to bolt, it's really only a matter of time before WKU joins us. And after that ASU is probably on deck.

Losing you hurts. So who else is on deck? WKU, ASU, ULL, Ga State, Tx State? Or is it some other order? Other than Georgia State, there aren't many juicy markets to plunder so I dont see what attraction our remaining programs have to CUSA.

The nBE says, as they have in the past, they're done expanding from CUSA. Is CUSA going to 16? 18?

I just hope for everyone's sake that there can be a little stability for a while.
12-03-2012 05:01 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure that CUSA is interested in taking rural schools. I see perhaps WKU, just because of the relationship with you guys, but I'm not seeing too much more after that.
12-03-2012 05:07 PM
Advertisement

MTowho Offline
1st String

(12-03-2012 05:07 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I'm not sure that CUSA is interested in taking rural schools. I see perhaps WKU, just because of the relationship with you guys, but I'm not seeing too much more after that.

Eventually the market thing is going to run out of options. My guess is still WKU, then NMSU. I'd love to see USA simply because I know their fanbase is legit in basketball and has a ton of potential in football. But like you said, Southern Miss won't be on board.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 05:11 PM by MTowho.)
12-03-2012 05:10 PM
MTowho Offline
1st String

Man, this MT/Sun Belt breakup has gotten straight up nasty.
12-03-2012 05:27 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2012 05:10 PM)MTowho Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 05:07 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Eventually the market thing is going to run out of options. My guess is still WKU, then NMSU. I'd love to see USA simply because I know their fanbase is legit in basketball and has a ton of potential in football. But like you said, Southern Miss won't be on board.

At some point, CUSA isn't going to want to take more teams. As far as I can see, CUSA is losing a bowl tie in this year. I'm not sure they're going to pick up another one. I think at some point, expansion doesn't help the conference.
12-03-2012 05:33 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(12-03-2012 04:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Don't you worry your pretty little head about the Belt. We'll be fine. Here's where the other schools stand right now.

1) USA - We aren't getting a bid from CUSA anytime soon. Mobile-Pensacola is over a million, but its just not big enough. And USM isn't going to want us there. Probably UAB too. We aren't far enough as a program either.
2) stAte - I'll believe that when I see it. stAte is rural. CUSA doesn't do much rural.
3) WKU - They might get a bid due to MTSU, but if they go - they go. We'll live.
6) ULL - See ULM.

10) Appy - Rural

We might lose one or at most two more to you guys. CUSA has raided us, but they've taken 3 of the worst programs in the Belt plus MTSU. Our product will be competitive, if not superior to CUSA again next year. CUSA is going to lose a couple of their bowl tie ins as well. I'm not sure the money is going to be much different as we move forward. We'll be fine. Even if we lose WKU.

you must be using that new I-phone map...texas state is hardly rural being a large school smack dab between austin and san antonio and about a mile from one of the busiest interstates in the country...most of the kids there are from the city.
12-03-2012 05:58 PM
Advertisement

jpm3985 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ul-lafayette
Texas State could be courted by the Metro conference (odd that the actual Metro Conference -along with the Great Midwest- became the C-USA). Will they? we don't know.

The remainder of the Belt sans WKU? Its an anyones guess.
Can ASU leverage Memphis? USA - Mobile, et. al.?
ULM & the cajuns aren't C-USA contenders, LATECH would have a fit.
Troy- who knows?
12-03-2012 06:09 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2012 05:58 PM)runamuck Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 04:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Don't you worry your pretty little head about the Belt. We'll be fine. Here's where the other schools stand right now.

6) ULL - See ULM.

10) Appy - Rural

you must be using that new I-phone map...texas state is hardly rural being a large school smack dab between austin and san antonio and about a mile from one of the busiest interstates in the country...most of the kids there are from the city.

I live in Texas. I know exactly where San Marcos is. Its an hour from Austin. Its still a rural school. Just like stAte is about an hour from Memphis, but is still a rural school.

Not trying to dig on Texas State (heck, my school sits in an urban environment in an area with 1.4 million people living within 60 miles from the school and we aren't going anywhere - and USA is the only game in town), but trying to shoehorn CUSA's thinking onto the geographic realities of Texas State. Texas State is close to Austin, but will be secondary there. Its close to San Antonio, but will not be primary there either. They have lots of fans - and they are good fans. But Texas State is not the type of university that gets CUSA tounges wagging.

I'm glad to have them in the Belt. But I'm not sure they're on the expansion radar for CUSA.
12-03-2012 06:28 PM
tux Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Texas State
(12-03-2012 05:58 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

6) ULL - See ULM.

10) Appy - Rural

You are certainly right. Although San Marcos itself is slightly less that 50k in population, there are 3.9 million people and 2 million person workforce within a 50-mile radius of San Marcos*.
*source: San Marcos COC
12-03-2012 06:40 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
FYI: San Marcos is 51 miles from San Antonio and 31 miles from Austin (at least to downtown, the edges of SA and Austin are closer).
12-03-2012 07:27 PM
Advertisement

Seminole Indian Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas
One thing you guys are forgetting that CUSA wants to have a shot at the $ in the new playoff system, and it is my understanding that they are now on the lookout a couple of up and coming teams regardless of where they are located.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 08:15 PM by Seminole Indian.)
12-03-2012 08:15 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I just don't see Texas State as being on the CUSA radar for a variety of reasons. San Marcos, regardless of distance to Austin/San Antonio, is not really part of either. Texas State loses out to UT in Austin and to UTSA in San Antonio. They're a great program, but they kind of get smothered by others due to talent (Texas) or geography (UTSA). They'll have to work twice as hard in order to build a FBS brand as UTSA, simply because they aren't the only game in their media market. I have no doubt they will, its just not going to happen overnight.

If CUSA is serious about taking the best teams possible, they aren't - they just took Florida Atlantic (!), they'd be looking at stAte, and ULL first. Those are the most likely teams to break through into the top 25. They passed them over for the likes of FAU and UNT. And two moveups and one team that doesn't even exist yet.

I was halfway expecting them to invite Fordham to join. They play FCS football (badly) and have a terrible basketball team. But look at the market size!
12-03-2012 08:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.