Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

My conversation with some key people from Marshall about CUSA....
Bookmark and Share
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
My conversation with some key people from Marshall about CUSA....
I originally posted this in another thread but the more I think about it, it probably deserves its own thread since so many schools are talked about. Here it is....

I talked to a few key people tonight around Marshall athletics about their thoughts on how CUSA is shaping up and if there was any thought of possibly going back to the Mac. Here are some of the responses and bits of information that I got.....

..... Marshall was very instrumental in getting Charlotte, Old Dominion, and FIU into CUSA. A big portion of our alumni resides in the South. Particularly around Charlotte, Florida and the Eastern Virginia are. A little nugget that I was not aware of is that Marshall pushed VERY hard for MTSU in the previous round but it just didn't work out because there had to be some new additions in the West to replace SMU, Houston etc. Marshall was very impressed with MTSU's campus and the warm welcoming we received while we were there last year for the NIT game.

..... When Marshall entered the league, there were only 3 schools in the Eastern time zone. With the additions of ODU, Charlotte, FAU, FIU......that now brings the total up to 5 teams in the eastern time zone with MTSU only a 5 hour drive away. That cuts back on the travel for eastern teams and promotes rivalries.

......The divisions have yet to be finalized but its thought that FAU/FIU will be in the same east division together which guarantees at least one trip to Florida every year which is very important to us. Important for our alumni and the fact that we recruit the Florida area very heavily.

......Talking about the Mac....Marshall continues to have close relationships (educational and sports related) with many schools from the Mac (Ohio, Miami, Akron, Kent State)....all of which Marshall will continue to work on scheduling games in football and basketball. A lot of the schools in the Mac are state funded enough to not have to rely so much on TV revenue, bowl bids etc. Marshall don't get comparable state support so the extra revenue we get from being in CUSA is important to us. The additional bowl tie-ins, revenue sharing, exposure in Florida and other areas that we recruit, all play a big role in CUSA being the perfect fit for Marshall.

....On losing ECU...hated to lose ECU but Marshall will continue to have relations with ECU and hopefully will continue to schedule football and basketball games in the future. Sad to see ECU leave but we wish them nothing but the best.

In a nutshell, the current CUSA setup for Marshall is actually better in some ways than it had been in years past based on the points above. I got the impression that Marshall would support some of the schools from the Mac for inclusion if CUSA decided to target some teams from that area. I also got the impression that some Mac schools have already had some conversations with CUSA. That being the case, anything in the future seems possible.

That was pretty much the entire conversation.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 11:26 PM by MUHERD76.)
11-29-2012 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
RE: My conversation with some key people from Marshall about CUSA....
I certainly hope there is some effort to keep the ECU-Marshall series going. Way too much bond and history there to not have it continue at least semi regularly.
11-29-2012 10:59 PM
KevMo4UAB Online
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
(11-29-2012 10:59 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I certainly hope there is some effort to keep the ECU-Marshall series going. Way too much bond and history there to not have it continue at least semi regularly.

It's like breaking up a relationship. It's over. There's no going back.
11-29-2012 11:05 PM
Ned Low Offline
All American

I really hope that everything works out well for Marshall and that we can continue to play y'all far into the future... 1-1 of course!

I'll probably be heading up there next year...
11-29-2012 11:06 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(11-29-2012 11:05 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  
(11-29-2012 10:59 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  I certainly hope there is some effort to keep the ECU-Marshall series going. Way too much bond and history there to not have it continue at least semi regularly.

I don't think we are removing the memorial we placed at the stadium honoring the 1970 Marshall team. There is a connection between us and Marshall that will always exist no matter what happens going forward. That bond can't be broken and we will be tied together forever because of it.
11-29-2012 11:09 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I got the impression that there certainly will be some effort but its not likely to get re-started until 2015 or 2017. And it might be played in odd years.

Example:

2015 Huntington

2017 Greenville

2019 Huntington

2021 Greenville
11-29-2012 11:14 PM
Advertisement

panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
sweet have fun while everyone out west looks for the door
11-29-2012 11:16 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(11-29-2012 11:14 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

I got the impression that there certainly will be some effort but its not likely to get re-started until 2015 or 2017. And it might be played in odd years.

Example:

2015 Huntington

2017 Greenville

2019 Huntington

2021 Greenville

That wouldn't be bad at all. Hope it happens.
11-29-2012 11:19 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

Our AD...Hamrick said that regardless of what conference we play in, Marshall and ECU should continue playing in some fashion. Probably not every year but maybe every other year.
11-29-2012 11:19 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 11:16 PM)panicstricken Wrote:  sweet have fun while everyone out west looks for the door

Go for it. Do what you gotta do. If its best for Tulsa to move to the MWC, so be it.
11-29-2012 11:24 PM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 11:06 PM)Ned Low Wrote:  I really hope that everything works out well for Marshall and that we can continue to play y'all far into the future... 1-1 of course!

I'll probably be heading up there next year...

Hope you get to make the trip Ned!
11-30-2012 07:29 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I am glad that Marshall is happy with the new make up of CUSA. Hope you have a long and prosperous relationship here.
11-30-2012 07:39 AM
Korun Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Your Mom and MU
The problem is, "Marshall as a whole" is not happy with the new CUSA. We are settling and trying to make lemonade out of lemons. We will do the best with what we have because we dont have an option. I just call BS on anyone who is excited to play some of the teams coming into the conference. There will be serious backlash over this in one way or another. It will be bad next year if we have a crappy football season then the majority of the new conference starts the following year. Stadium will look like a ghost town.

(11-30-2012 07:39 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I am glad that Marshall is happy with the new make up of CUSA. Hope you have a long and prosperous relationship here.
11-30-2012 07:51 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
This very fine analysis also applies to CUSA/West which is a tight geography of like-minded schools. The distances are relatively short, this is the area recruited, and this is where our alumni live. It is also a tight geography for the tv market.

Has anyone looked at the records of NM, Wy, and CSU? I don't think they have more than 4 or 5 wins...and, this, is not an aberation but their history. Oklahoma, a relatively small state of less than 4 million people, produces more IA football players that the states of NM, Colorado, Wy, and Nevada combined. There is a reason their football sucks.

TU beat Fresno in the LIberty Bowl; beat the MWC Co-Champs again this season. Walloped NM last time they played. Has NM and CSU on the upcoming nonconference schedule. WHy in the hell would one ditch CUSA/WEST for this mish mash of irrelevant football teams in a nonexistant tv market, palyed away from our alumni, and played where there is absolutely no hope to entice football recruits?

What would a school like Tulsa do if it found itself, unfortunately, in MWC? Probably turn around on DAY 1 and start scheduling as many Texas schools as possible for nonconference games for what reason? You guess it! There is where the alumni live, there is where we recruit, there is where the tv exposure is. Wyoming has less than 1/2 million people; NM folks wait for bb season...but bb doesn't drive the bus.

I look forward to playing UNT in Dalls-Ft. Worth Metro, and maybe the Dallas Kickoff classic too. I look forward to playing Rice in Houston, and UTSA in San Antonio, now a must trip with the River Walk. And UTEP has always been there for some time, a traveler of the road.

There seem to be some Tulsa fans that want to emulate the human drive that is within all of us, unfortunately, to "put down" someone by dissing them. It is an unfortunate disease that plagues mankind. But the best interest of all current CUSA schools is to make this conference work; it is our best option. And it is an excellent option.

The Nbe invitees will have substantial traveling expenses in playing their nonconference games. My guess they will try to save travel costs and schedule close-by teams. In other words, like Tulsa playing NM and CSU, my guess is that many of the old and new CUSA schools will end up playing the Nbe invitees in nonconference games. To a certain extent, they already do.
11-30-2012 08:05 AM
goherd17 Online
1st String

I Root For:
Amen Tallgrass its what we have make the best of it. Out of our control and to get on here and just bash the teams coming in makes no sense. Not like we can call LSU or Alabama
11-30-2012 08:09 AM
RedParallax Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
(11-29-2012 11:09 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

I don't think we are removing the memorial we placed at the stadium honoring the 1970 Marshall team. There is a connection between us and Marshall that will always exist no matter what happens going forward. That bond can't be broken and we will be tied together forever because of it.

This x1000000
11-30-2012 09:08 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(11-29-2012 11:19 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  

Our AD...Hamrick said that regardless of what conference we play in, Marshall and ECU should continue playing in some fashion. Probably not every year but maybe every other year.

Ok, ok, ECU and Marshall need to get a room. This is getting embarrassing. j/k
11-30-2012 09:25 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(11-30-2012 07:51 AM)Korun Wrote:  The problem is, "Marshall as a whole" is not happy with the new CUSA.

And who is "Marshall as a whole"?
11-30-2012 09:29 AM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

(11-29-2012 11:16 PM)panicstricken Wrote:  sweet have fun while everyone out west looks for the door

If you can make the case for Tulane in the Big East I don't see how you can't do the same for Tulsa. I don't know the travel distances, but Tulsa in the West would seem to work quite well. The problem is getting in for all sports as I think 16 basketball teams is what the BE is looking for.
11-30-2012 09:30 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
(11-30-2012 08:05 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  TU beat Fresno in the LIberty Bowl; beat the MWC Co-Champs again this season. Walloped NM last time they played. Has NM and CSU on the upcoming nonconference schedule. WHy in the hell would one ditch CUSA/WEST for this mish mash of irrelevant football teams in a nonexistant tv market, palyed away from our alumni, and played where there is absolutely no hope to entice football recruits?

Are you kidding me??? C-USA just brought in FCS and Sunbelt teams... that is the definition of "mish mash" and "irrelevant" I'm not really sure what your agenda is, but your lack of common sense baffles me.

If you like the new C-USA, great! That's your prerogative. But you have to be insane to think that it's in Tulsa's or any of the long standing members' best interest to stay in this watered down version of what once was... Expect a huge drop off in recruiting, even worse (yes I suppose it's possible) attendance and an overall lack of buzz about Tulsa sports in the city of Tulsa.
11-30-2012 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.