Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Bulls 62 Florida Atlantic 44
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Bulls 62 Florida Atlantic 44
USF moves to 5-3 with a win over FAU coached by Matt Doherty and fresh from a win over UCF.
Go Bulls!!!!!!!
12-15-2005 10:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Re: Bulls 62 Florida Atlantic 44
Nice job taking care of the Owls!

Within 3 days of each other we have:

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

That says something considering just how many losses the Bulls have had player wise. Ignoring how far CUSA has fallen this year, I don't think most UCF fans quite understood the difference between the A-Sun and big time college basketball.
12-15-2005 11:04 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Good win South Florida.
12-15-2005 11:34 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights

Collegecard, your post, like many others, attempts to make a point where it does not exist.

To be fair, most of the other people making bad points are UCF fans who say "give us time we're adjusting to a major conference upgrade"

What I mean is, we played FAU in what is no an out of conference game, and lost. We've played easier OOC teams, we've played harder. We've won some we shouldn't have, we've lost some we shouldn't have. This has nothing to do with "major college basketball" or a conference upgrade.

In a month, if we're buckling under a more rigirous conference slate twice a week, you (And UCF fans) can make this claim and there would be a lot of truth to it.

Right now, all that this proves is that UCF isn't much better than we were last year (we split a series with FAU). Not too surprising given that we lost three starters.

That being said, this is a good win for USF. FAU isn't a pushover. Sidney Green brought in talent but couldn't coach. Now they have a guy who can coach and has some talent available both from Green and ones he brought in on his own.
12-16-2005 12:28 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CollegeCard Wrote:Nice job taking care of the Owls!

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

That says something considering just how many losses the Bulls have had player wise. Ignoring how far CUSA has fallen this year, I don't think most UCF fans quite understood the difference between the A-Sun and big time college basketball.

Actually, it's called finals week and playing like CRAP.

We have better size and better athletes, our team just didn't get off the friggin bus.

I do find it comical that Cuban is always the one bitching about us being "obsessed" with SFU, yet he alwatys includes us in his posts.
12-16-2005 02:00 AM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
The Knight Time Wrote:

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

Does FAU not have finals as well?
12-16-2005 11:55 AM
Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Bulls win DAMAGING....
Bulls rally for a damaging victory
Two starters go down in the 62-44 win over FAU, leaving USF with five healthy regulars.
By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer
Published December 16, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - For USF, the key number, good or bad, is five.

In the glass-half-full world, it's how many wins the Bulls have after a promising 62-44 victory Thursday night against upset-minded Florida Atlantic at the Sun Dome.

It's also how many healthy regular contributors USF has left after starters Melvin Buckley and Zaronn Cann left with potentially serious injuries.

Playing with no appreciable bench for most of the second half, the Bulls (5-3) rallied from a 12-point first-half deficit to dominate the Owls before 2,394 fans. Despite a considerable depth advantage, FAU (3-3) was the team showing fatigue, a testament to the conditioning USF has picked up by playing so short-handed.

"You have to just play hard and be mentally tough," said Bulls center Solomon Jones, who had game highs with 17 points, 15 rebounds and six blocks. "We had mind-sets that we had to get it in down low, and Melvyn Richardson and McHugh Mattis did a great job of stepping up in this game."

Both junior forwards had strong games off the bench, with Richardson hitting his first five shots for a season-best 10 points and Mattis adding nine of his 13 in the second half. Walk-on point guard Chris Capko had seven assists and seven turnovers.

With 7:28 left in the first half, the Bulls trailed 25-13, but they finished the half on a 12-2 run to trail 27-25 and never let up, outscoring the Owls 32-6 over a 19-minute span.

"Our matchup zone was the biggest difference in the game," coach Robert McCullum said. "It slowed them down, gave us momentum and clearly got us back into the game."

FAU had won three straight, including an upset Tuesday against Central Florida, but coach Matt Doherty said the quick turnaround left his team tired after its strong start.

"I thought we ran out of steam," Doherty said. "We as coaches want players to act like machines, and we're not. ... End of the first half through the second half, we tried, but I don't think we had a whole lot in the tank."

The Owls shot 18 percent in the second half and 23 percent for the game. Forward Rodney Webb led them with 11 points and 11 rebounds.

USF's depth issues continue to grow as the Bulls prepare to leave Saturday for Hawaii and the Rainbow Classic, where they'll play three straight days next week. USF played most of the second half Thursday with only three walk-ons and freshman center Frane Markusovic on the bench; none of the four has scored in his USF career.

The extent of the two injuries is unknown, but for a decimated squad that has already lost two starting guards, any missed time will be costly.

Buckley, the team's second-leading scorer, left the game grimacing in pain with a groin injury early in the second half and did not return, walking gingerly after the game.

Cann, a freshman from Brandon who made his first career start, re-injured a left knee that endured major arthroscopic surgery for torn ligaments in January 2004, as well as minor surgery in September.

McCullum said indications were that Cann had not torn his anterior cruciate ligament, but the severity of the injury won't be known until an MRI test today
12-16-2005 12:51 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CollegeCard Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

Before our game they had played previously.

We hadn't played in over a week and a half.
12-16-2005 12:53 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Cubanbull Wrote:USF moves to 5-3 with a win over FAU coached by Matt Doherty and fresh from a win over UCF.
Go Bulls!!!!!!!

Wow, nice win. Weren't you guys down by 10 at one point?
12-16-2005 01:36 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

Card...most UCF know it will take 2-3 years just to be able to recruit enough talent to get in the Top 3-4 in CUSA.

This year's team hasn't played well yet at all..even in the exhibition game or even the Div II game.

The 2 HS players we signed last month are improved talent...much better then what UCF was able to sign before...fresh out of HS.

UCF will still have to sign at least 2 JUCO's again this Spring...but in 2-3 years...UCF will finally have enough depth to recruit mostly HS players to help learn our system.

2005-2006 will probably be a rough year for UCF Hoops...but improvement against better competition should be seen by mid of next year.

KL
12-16-2005 02:55 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Cubanbull Wrote:USF moves to 5-3 with a win over FAU coached by Matt Doherty and fresh from a win over UCF.
Go Bulls!!!!!!!

Great win Bulls. You guys need to win all of your OOC games. BE conference will be pretty tough this year.
12-16-2005 03:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

KT
Im glad you found it "comical". I dare you to find many posts that i include UCF unless is a reply to some of your fans trashing our teams.
I thought it was interesting specially at how much you guys crowed last year on how you guys were going to be a top CUSA team. Well you are finding real fast that CUSA ball is way different than ASUN. I also found it interesting because the games happened a few days apart and showed that even a weak depleted exCUSA team can do better than an ex-ASUN champ. Your fans would have been ALL OVER it if it had been the other way around.
You want an example?
check CUSA board on USM-ArkST Bowl game thread and there it is after the first poster, post "Ark St has only sold 2,800 tickets to bowl"
Next poster is YOU " well they sold more than USF" so yeah if it bothers you then thats to fricking bad because you are one of the Gnat fans that goes out of his way to bash us.

So enjoy your Hawaii Bowl on tv and dont forget 31-14 04-chairshot
12-16-2005 03:34 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cubanbull Wrote:KT
Im glad you found it "comical". I dare you to find many posts that i include UCF unless is a reply to some of your fans trashing our teams.
I thought it was interesting specially at how much you guys crowed last year on how you guys were going to be a top CUSA team. Well you are finding real fast that CUSA ball is way different than ASUN. I also found it interesting because the games happened a few days apart and showed that even a weak depleted exCUSA team can do better than an ex-ASUN champ. Your fans would have been ALL OVER it if it had been the other way around.
You want an example?
check CUSA board on USM-ArkST Bowl game thread and there it is after the first poster, post "Ark St has only sold 2,800 tickets to bowl"
Next poster is YOU " well they sold more than USF" so yeah if it bothers you then thats to fricking bad because you are one of the Gnat fans that goes out of his way to bash us.

So enjoy your Hawaii Bowl on tv and dont forget 31-14 04-chairshot

I will enjoy our bowl game on tv. And, from the looks of it...95% of USF fnas will enjoy their bowl game on tv too.
12-16-2005 05:11 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

LOL. Yep im sure they will but ill be there to see it live.
Go Bulls beat NCST!!!!!!!!
12-16-2005 05:25 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Cubanbull Wrote:LOL. Yep im sure they will but ill be there to see it live.
Go Bulls beat NCST!!!!!!!!

Well have a safe trip.

I'll be making the same drive in January.
12-16-2005 06:58 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
The Knight Time Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

Sounds like an excuse to me.
12-16-2005 09:03 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
CyberBull Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:
CollegeCard Wrote:
The Knight Time Wrote:

USF 62 - FAU 44

AND

FAU 59 - UCF 54

Sounds like an excuse to me.

Exactly the friggin UCF fans were claiming they would do great in the Big East in Basketball earlier in the year. They used a close loss to UConn and Pitt? as examples. UCF fans need to realize beating Betty Cookman, Jacksonville and Sanford and Sons to get to the NCAAs 2-3 years in a row doesn't impress BE fans. Nice win USF on shutting up the CFUers. Now UCF, build your program up and maybe in 3-4 years you can play with with us for real in the BE.
12-17-2005 05:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.