Yeah...

Good luck with that.
11-23-2012 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
RE: Student Loans
Well I will play Devil's Advocate here. Banks and lending institutions that are put at more risk (offered bankruptcy) will now make it harder for students to get a loan. Banks will start treating it like a car loan or a house loan.

So, imagine your interview with a loan officer:

1. Your credit is just not good enough. Yea, I know you are 18 and haven't built any credit but it just isn't worth our risk.
2. Parents as a co-signer....sorry. You come a lower socio-economic background and their credit sucks....not worth our risk.
3. What are you going to major in? French Literature? Nope. How about Engineering? Better chance for us to make our money back.
4. Change your major after we give you a loan and do not get our approval? You are in default and must pay the balance now.

Now, do I agree that there are institutions ready to throw money out there? Yep. Have schools taken advantage of it? Sure. More students means more money for institutions. No bankruptcy protection helps banks out.

But let's be honest here. Yes the economy has soured. We have a large student population. Our education standards have dropped. But the biggest problem is we have more and more students not working,taking out loans, and getting degrees in feel good subjects that will not lead to a job path that will ensure they can make a decent living, let alone pay back those loans.
11-26-2012 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.