Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

talent
Bookmark and Share
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
talent
I think we are right about the talent being here. Even early on we can see that there are several "keepers" in the group - maybe all of them if we can get them to stay - and a few potential stars. It will just take time for them to get into the system.
11-18-2012 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: talent
At this point, I reiterate our two potential stars, IMO, are Gillon and White. I guess you have to give some credence to Will becoming a star, but his health always seems to be an issure. And I think Osse has the chance to be a better than average player if not a star. Other than that, I think we have a lot of good, solid players, and you need those to compete. The John Fowlers of the world. Maybe Isler will fit that role. I have a feeling we're going to see more of Stetson Billings as we go along. He's starting to show some progress on the defensive end, and I look for him to do more scoring as we go along.
11-18-2012 07:52 PM
Scotto Offline

I Root For: Longshot to Win
talent
Hagins.
11-18-2012 08:29 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

Hagins, White and Gillon are definite talents. And I really doubt there are any throw-backs in this group.
11-18-2012 08:41 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I think a star in basketball has to put up points. Obviously good defensive players and assist leaders are important to winning, but it seems that the stars in the sport are the ones who put up big numbers. So I wouldn't include Hagins as a star yet. He might turn out to be, but his ability to score will make that determination. Graber was a perfect example. He was a very good point guard, but you wouldn't call him a star. But he was a vital cog in the machine. Hagins might be a Graber. A terrific, true point guard, but not what makes all conference teams. Fans don't come out to watch passes or defense. They want to see the ball go through the hoop. It's like football. The great offensive and defensive linemen win games, but quarterbacks and running backs win the Heisman Trophy.
11-18-2012 09:29 PM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

By "star" I mean someone exceptionally good at his position. A starter.
11-18-2012 09:36 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

If that's your definition, then I would have to agree that Hagins could be a star if he starts and contributes. I was just thinking of a different definition. Most teams are lucky to have one star. Or maybe some stars are just brighter than others. I don't know. I just hope all our kids have great careers at UALR. Stars or not.
11-19-2012 08:43 AM
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

To my way of thinking, Graber was one of the biggest stars we have had. He played his role as well as anyone.
11-19-2012 10:22 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

He was a great point guard, no doubt. He played his role, which was vital. Whether or not he was a star, I don't know. But he was the glue that held the team together.
11-19-2012 03:52 PM
LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(11-18-2012 02:17 PM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  I think we are right about the talent being here.

It certainly looked that way in the first game. Hasn't looked that way the past two games. In fact, and I'm saying this strictly from the stats since I haven't seen the games. In fact, so far they've looked somewhat like some of the recruiting we've seen the previous nine years. I'm not speaking of all the new players. A couple have looked pretty good in all the games. What's been disappointing is, some of the returnees have looked like Ned in the first reader.

A couple of them haven't played enough to tell us anything about what their future holds here.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 06:10 PM by LRTrojan.)
11-19-2012 06:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.