Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Its not over: Rutgers and Maryland to Big 10
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Its not over: Rutgers and Maryland to Big 10
ESPN is reporting that Maryland is going to move to the Big 10, and Rutgers will follow them.

That leaves the ACC and Big East with odd numbers and both will have to add.
11-17-2012 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Its not over: Rutgers and Maryland to Big 10
(11-17-2012 05:27 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ESPN is reporting that Maryland is going to move to the Big 10, and Rutgers will follow them.

That leaves the ACC and Big East with odd numbers and both will have to add.

ACC will pull from Big East just because they can. Big East will need two. I'm thinking Florida Atlantic and Lamar.
11-17-2012 05:33 PM
Hilltop75 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
Lamar, Oh yeah with that rich Football Tradition. No way North Carolina Central school of the misfit toys has a bigger following.....
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 06:06 PM by Hilltop75.)
11-17-2012 05:48 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I kind of see ECU and Fresno getting into the Big East if this happens.
11-17-2012 05:59 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
This could be very big for you guy as presumably CUSA will be hit again and they have already been eyeing a couple of your programs. Big East could lose up to four more teams if Louisville and maybe Cinci try to bolt to the Big 12 after Rutgers and UConn get snagged.
11-17-2012 06:48 PM
BILLY JOE WHEELER Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WKU
(11-17-2012 06:48 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  This could be very big for you guy as presumably CUSA will be hit again and they have already been eyeing a couple of your programs. Big East could lose up to four more teams if Louisville and maybe Cinci try to bolt to the Big 12 after Rutgers and UConn get snagged.

Just say NO to drugs and conference usa.
11-17-2012 07:32 PM
Advertisement

Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(11-17-2012 06:48 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  This could be very big for you guy as presumably CUSA will be hit again and they have already been eyeing a couple of your programs. Big East could lose up to four more teams if Louisville and maybe Cinci try to bolt to the Big 12 after Rutgers and UConn get snagged.

I would like to see the SBC have serious talks with USM and Tulsa.
11-17-2012 07:38 PM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

(11-17-2012 07:38 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

It would make sense to go on the offensive at this point. I guess it all comes down to the perception of your members if they feel the Belt or CUSA is more secure long term. You would UTEP might jump from CUSA to the MWC if all this does unfold which would make the new CUSA an even stranger grouping of teams.
11-17-2012 07:43 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Might as well. Don't like your chances but hey you never know they could say yes.
11-17-2012 07:45 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I think ECU is gooooone. That slams CUSA hard. They will have USM, Tulsa, a couple halfway decent teams, and a lot of hot garbage. There will be absolutely no reason for any Sun Belt program to go rushing to align with UAB, Charlotte, FIU, Marshall, ODU, Tulane, Rice, UNT, UTEP. None.

It really will be time for the SBC to commit to one another and refuse to be raided by that.
11-17-2012 07:54 PM
chiefsfan Offline

Logically, it makes no sense for an SBC team to join CUSA if ECU is not involved.

My guess is that you will hear about our expansion talks with App and GSU heating up, along with feelers to USM. (I doubt we go after Tulsa.) SBC will want to have as strong of a league as possible to present to our own members.
11-17-2012 07:58 PM
Advertisement

HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

(11-17-2012 07:54 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I think ECU is gooooone. That slams CUSA hard. They will have USM, Tulsa, a couple halfway decent teams, and a lot of hot garbage. There will be absolutely no reason for any Sun Belt program to go rushing to align with UAB, Charlotte, FIU, Marshall, ODU, Tulane, Rice, UNT, UTEP. None.

It really will be time for the SBC to commit to one another and refuse to be raided by that.

I think under that scenario UTEP is gone to the MWC as long been rumored and who knows maybe even Tulsa gets a look for the MWC then too.
11-17-2012 08:03 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2012 08:03 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  
(11-17-2012 07:54 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I think ECU is gooooone. That slams CUSA hard. They will have USM, Tulsa, a couple halfway decent teams, and a lot of hot garbage. There will be absolutely no reason for any Sun Belt program to go rushing to align with UAB, Charlotte, FIU, Marshall, ODU, Tulane, Rice, UNT, UTEP. None.

I think under that scenario UTEP is gone to the MWC as long been rumored and who knows maybe even Tulsa gets a look for the MWC then too.

The only way I think CUSA will be able to pluck SBC teams is to invite multiple teams together, ala the WAC going after ULL, ASU, and UNT several years ago. From an ASU perspective, moving to CUSA makes little sense on our own, but throw say a MTSU and WKU into the equation, and you have a different situation entirely.

CUSA is going to have to convince any SBC team it invites of a regional factor...to go along with a slightly better TV contract.
11-17-2012 08:09 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2012 08:09 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

The only way I think CUSA will be able to pluck SBC teams is to invite multiple teams together, ala the WAC going after ULL, ASU, and UNT several years ago. From an ASU perspective, moving to CUSA makes little sense on our own, but throw say a MTSU and WKU into the equation, and you have a different situation entirely.

CUSA is going to have to convince any SBC team it invites of a regional factor...to go along with a slightly better TV contract.

If the leadership of the SBC doesn't do something like a grant of rights to take away that fear of being the last one left.....we will probably get raided.

Nobody really wants to leave for that mess....but nobody wants to get left behind.
11-17-2012 08:11 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones

And better name brand. It should not matter but if CUSA was the Sunbelt schools now but you had the CUSA name your respect/money would be improved without any real change. It is dumb but it is what it is.

I do agree with you though it would be easier if they took a group at once. For instance I think that would be the only way to crack the MAC would be to take several schools at once to break the core. Otherwise you can only take peripheral teams like UMass.
11-17-2012 08:17 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2012 08:11 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

If the leadership of the SBC doesn't do something like a grant of rights to take away that fear of being the last one left.....we will probably get raided.

Nobody really wants to leave for that mess....but nobody wants to get left behind.

True, but it will have to be together, no one wants to be the first to leave either.
11-17-2012 08:18 PM
Advertisement

HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

If say you were to lose a couple programs, does that put Idaho and NMSU on the radar as possible replacements?
11-17-2012 08:21 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2012 08:18 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  True, but it will have to be together, no one wants to be the first to leave either.

So do a grant of rights, up the buyout, and end the threat.
11-17-2012 08:21 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(11-17-2012 08:21 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  If say you were to lose a couple programs, does that put Idaho and NMSU on the radar as possible replacements?

NSMU...yes Idaho...No

There are enough FCS schools with a strong enough name in the area that we could pick them up first.

The key to the entire SBC is MTSU...if we keep them, I dont see anyone moving outside of FAU.
11-17-2012 08:22 PM
RustonCAT Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte/Latech
(11-17-2012 07:38 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  

Lose: FIU and UNt
Gain: S. Miss and Tulsa

Sbc would lap CUSA if ECU leaves
11-17-2012 08:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.