Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merged: Maryland/Rutgers to B1G rumors
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Will Rutgers finally be a target for the B1G?
This article suggests that. As the article says, Delaney has to be very disappointed after courting ND for years. Will the lure of NJ/NY cable subscribers to the BTN drive the B1G to invite Rutgers? If so, who would they partner with? Maryland? Since Maryland voted against the fee increase and since it is so high that it might be interpreted as punitive, they might be able to negotiated it way down.

The B1G is still as greedy as it ever was and ND is off the table so maybe now it turns it's attention towards the east.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index....me_go.html
09-13-2012 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Will Rutgers finally be a target for the B1G?
Notre Dame being off the table makes it less likely that the Big Ten goes after Rutgers (not more). Having ND paired with Rutgers was probably the only way the the Big Ten was going to invite them. The Big Ten has effectively concluded that the New York market is fool's gold. Hence, the addition of a national brand name in Nebraska even though the league supposedly had every incentive in the world to simply add the school that brought in the most households. "Potential" is worthless to the Big Ten. It will take many years of Rutgers (or UConn) playing at an elite (not just good) level before they become viable Big Ten candidates.
09-13-2012 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Brown Bull Offline
usf97

I Root For: USF
No
09-13-2012 11:39 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
New York has too many immigrants, transplants and/or pro sports fans to get a flip about college sports, especially if Rutgers remains a doormat volcano.

Maybe St. John's should restart their team and play at Citi Field since it's in the same borough because that's the only way New York will legitimately have it's own real team (alternatively, Seton Hall can play at The Meadowlands).

And by the way, no, the last paragraph was in no way serious.
09-13-2012 11:42 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Fordham has scholarships!
09-13-2012 11:47 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
New York is more interested in TMZ than football. I will never understand the infatuation of this message board and this supposed New York market. I see the theory but not everyone in New York watches football and I would go on a limb and say most people could care less about college football in New York. It's more of a Southern and Midwest sport.
09-13-2012 11:48 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(09-13-2012 11:32 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Notre Dame being off the table makes it less likely that the Big Ten goes after Rutgers (not more). Having ND paired with Rutgers was probably the only way the the Big Ten was going to invite them. The Big Ten has effectively concluded that the New York market is fool's gold. Hence, the addition of a national brand name in Nebraska even though the league supposedly had every incentive in the world to simply add the school that brought in the most households. "Potential" is worthless to the Big Ten. It will take many years of Rutgers (or UConn) playing at an elite (not just good) level before they become viable Big Ten candidates.

The only exception I would note Frank is if we're a consistent Top 25 team yet not Top 10 program and start really making noise in the regional media and further in-roads on t-shirt fans around here. Then that would mean although its not another powerhouse being added but a respectable program who has a big and growing fanbase. That's the most important thing in the game does the addition maximize our revenue. As soon as that answer becomes yes, the Big Ten or whomever will move again.
09-13-2012 11:50 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
The east markets are the only available targets left for the B1G... I bet Texas and the Big XII feel equally sad about this ACC win. Maybe the word BIG isn't really so true. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 11:53 AM by USAFMEDIC.)
09-13-2012 11:51 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
One big problem....Rutgers has been a horrible football program for pretty much their entire history. Also the claim that Rutgers is more popular than ND in NYC is idiotic, I don't care what the survey said.
09-13-2012 11:51 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(09-13-2012 11:39 AM)The Brown Bull Wrote:  No

+1
09-13-2012 11:57 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
No, I don't think this makes the B1G more likely to court Rutgers.
09-13-2012 11:58 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline

Donators
(09-13-2012 11:48 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  New York is more interested in TMZ than football. I will never understand the infatuation of this message board and this supposed New York market. I see the theory but not everyone in New York watches football and I would go on a limb and say most people could care less about college football in New York. It's more of a Southern and Midwest sport.

I've grown up and continue to live 10 miles outside Manhattan. This market does care about college football. Its a somewhat smaller slice than you'd find in the South or the Midwest certainly, but its such a large market that a small slice is still very significant. NJ is obsessed with football. It is on average the #8 producer of FBS football talent in the country. New York, Philly and Boston all represent cities where the sport can grow significantly. The main schools in the New York DMA are Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Miami and whoever the flavor(s) of the year are. Rutgers once a near total afterthought is a real player for the West of Hudson part of the market's attentions. The key is for the program to take the next step and we will capture the regional media's attentions and the get the t-shirt fans going.

The Giants and Jets sellout every game in an 82K seat stadium so don't tell me New York doesn't care about football of any kind. Its going to lag behind in college game popularity until a local school can become a power.
09-13-2012 11:59 AM
RU8081 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-13-2012 11:51 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  One big problem....Rutgers has been a horrible football program for pretty much their entire history. Also the claim that Rutgers is more popular than ND in NYC is idiotic, I don't care what the survey said.
Rutgers has had a mediocre record throughout its over 100 year history. When funding was increased to that of a average BCS level team things turned around. Yes the are the most popular team in the NYC area, but they don't dominate it, nobody or will. But given that statistic and that RU has been good not great and playing in the Big East you can easily translate to many more viewer in NYC area given a B1G membership and a mediocre record.
09-13-2012 11:59 AM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(09-13-2012 11:51 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  One big problem....Rutgers has been a horrible football program for pretty much their entire history. Also the claim that Rutgers is more popular than ND in NYC is idiotic, I don't care what the survey said.

I'd believe that Rutgers is more popular than ND in NJ considering I've lived here my whole life and have watched that transformation over the last 10 years.
09-13-2012 12:00 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(09-13-2012 11:59 AM)RU8081 Wrote:  
Rutgers has had a mediocre record throughout its over 100 year history. When funding was increased to that of a average BCS level team things turned around. Yes the are the most popular team in the NYC area, but they don't dominate it, nobody or will. But given that statistic and that RU has been good not great and playing in the Big East you can easily translate to many more viewer in NYC area given a B1G membership and a mediocre record.

Exactly sans for the mid 90s to the early 00s we were mediocre not horrific.
09-13-2012 12:02 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

Maybe you're right but even when I lived in NJ (Bergen Co) I find that claim (more popular than ND) very hard to believe.
09-13-2012 12:03 PM
Advertisement

hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east

I agree. While Rutgers probably generates the second most interest football wise in New York, they are a distant second to Notre Dame. Notre dame would be able to sell out any of the stadiums against pretty much any opponent,with New Yorkers themselves buying the tickets. As a BE fan I hate to say it, but I think this is the move that will help the ACC make legitimate inroads into the New York market.
09-13-2012 12:03 PM
RU8081 Offline
Water Engineer

(09-13-2012 12:03 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Maybe you're right but even when I lived in NJ (Bergen Co) I find that claim (more popular than ND) very hard to believe.
Since the mid 00's RU has been more popular that ND. This is not to diminish ND. ND Nationwide appeal, and for that Nebraska's, far exceeds RU's and that is why B1G chose Nebraska over RU.
09-13-2012 12:06 PM
brista21 Offline

Donators
(09-13-2012 12:03 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Maybe you're right but even when I lived in NJ (Bergen Co) I find that claim (more popular than ND) very hard to believe.

I'm from Bergen County and still live here at present. I rarely see ND stuff anymore, I see Rutgers stuff constantly. I'm from a Catholic family and have many ethnically Catholic friends as well. I barely know anyone who roots for ND. Most of them root for Rutgers with varying levels of interest, a few root for others with a passing interest such as ND or Miami and the rest also went to FBS schools and root for their alma mater (Temple, BC, Florida State, Penn State, Purdue.) And its partly because Schiano is from Bergen County and we have so many Bergen County players on the roster now. That change has really happened over the last 7 or 8 years. Central Jersey being the host region to Rutgers is the same way.
09-13-2012 12:07 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I lived down the road from Don Bosco (sp?) prep. ECU was recruiting a few guys from their program and a couple other schools the area. I'm aware of the talent they produced in the area. I was actually quite suprised to be honest. I only lived there for about a year and didn't go into the city or many other areas to be honest because i was working nonstop. Maybe that's affected my ND vs Rutgers perception.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2012 12:13 PM by blunderbuss.)
09-13-2012 12:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.