ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just another justification for leaving
Big Bluezilla Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Just another justification for leaving
This is another prime example of what a second rate conference the CAA is becoming. They are leaving the selection of their conference winner (since we can't "really" win it), in the hands of somebody's else's rating system. And information that will be out of date when they use it for selecting their champion who gets the auto bid. Geez! Can't wait to bolt to CUSA!

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/jmu-rich...ball-title
11-13-2012 09:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Just another justification for leaving
(11-13-2012 09:25 PM)Big Bluezilla Wrote:  This is another prime example of what a second rate conference the CAA is becoming. They are leaving the selection of their conference winner (since we can't "really" win it), in the hands of somebody's else's rating system. And information that will be out of date when they use it for selecting their champion who gets the auto bid. Geez! Can't wait to bolt to CUSA!

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/jmu-rich...ball-title
Then the CAA is going to violate it's own bylaws:

Quote:4.03. Tie-Breaking formats.
1. Head-to-head competition. If three-or-more teams are involved in a tie and all have played each
other, the win-loss percentage is computed using each team’s record against the tied teams as a
group rather than individually.
2. Win-loss percentage versus the highest-placed common opponents and proceeding down. When
arriving at another set of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied
teams as a group rather than individually.
3. Jeff Sagarin “ELO_CHESS” computation. (Located on USAToday.com & Sagarin ratings page)

From MTfan4life on the AGS board

Quote:I found nine different scenarios that could take place.
1. UNH wins this weekend. New Hampshire wins the auto-bid and conference title outright.

2. JMU, Rich, Vill, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2. No common across the board opponent among the five. However, all teams played ODU. JMU will have beated ODU in this scenario and Vill also holds a win over ODU. Vill holds the head to head over JMU. Villanova wins the auto-bid.

3. Vill, Rich, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2: All teams played ODU. Villanova wins the auto-bid.

4. Vill, JMU, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2: Same as scenario 2. Villanova wins the auto bid.

5. Vill, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2: Tow 2-0 vs. UNH and Vill. Towson wins the auto bid.

6. UNH & Tow finish 6-2: Tow owns head to head. Towson wins the auto-bid.

7. JMU, Rich, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2: All played ODU. James Madison wins the auto bid.

8. JMU, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2: All played ODU. James Madison wins the auto bid.

9. Rich, UNH, & Tow all finish 6-2: No common opponents that would break tiebreaker. Goes to Sagarin ELO-Chess Ranking. Current ratings have UNH at 58.44, Rich at 56.97, and Tow at 55.00. However, under this, Tow would have beaten UNH, so those are bound to change.
All of the above takes place before the Sagarin kicks in.
Minium is confused.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 09:43 PM by ODUalum78.)
11-13-2012 09:41 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

I read his link. The CAA Blog explains it correctly. He (Minium) has sensationalized and misrepresented the process. The chances of getting to the Sagarin option are remote at best.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 09:53 PM by ODUalum78.)
11-13-2012 09:48 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

11-15-2012 04:22 PM
ODUalum78 Offline

Is this true?

From AGS:
bisonnation;1898481 Wrote:First round FCS Playoff Games are only available on ESPN3. You can't find it on your TV dial because ESPN3 is not a TV network. It is an online streaming service available only through select cable/internet providers. These providers pay money to ESPN to provide content. The problem is, ESPN3 is not available in many areas.

It is not clear whether or not any game outside of the National Championship will be broadcast on ESPN or ESPN Gameplan. (When I watched the selection show, they all said espn3)

If it is, we made the right choice hands down.
11-21-2012 12:49 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

All games last year were on ESPN3 with a select few broadcast on ESPN. I think all semis and finals were on ESPN or ESPN2.

ESPN3 is fantastic.
11-21-2012 12:52 PM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

(11-21-2012 12:52 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  All games last year were on ESPN3 with a select few broadcast on ESPN. I think all semis and finals were on ESPN or ESPN2.

ESPN3 is fantastic.

If you want to sit at home and watch it, yes. Not so much if you want to go to a watering hole with friends and watch.
11-21-2012 12:56 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Good point. Unless I'm at the game, I can't watch with others.
11-21-2012 01:03 PM
bit_9 Offline

Yeah, espn3 is fine for me for the most part as well. I'll just run it through my media pc and invite people over if push comes to shove.

I can't wait to be able to go to one of the many sports bars in the area with a big group and watch away games and order some pitchers. Sunday will be dead to me when that's the case. =] not really... but ya.
11-21-2012 01:13 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(11-21-2012 01:03 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Good point. Unless I'm at the game, I can't watch with others.

Sure you can. Just host the party at your house. You can pay to have an ESPN3 game on your TV. I am pretty sure also that if you have a "smart" tv you can use a usb cable to put the video on the tv from a lap top. That is the way I watched a number of ODU games this year with live streaming from the host school (Richmond, Towson and (I belive) the third one was Deleware. (Little bit of "oldtimers" coming into play.)

Good luck!
11-21-2012 01:19 PM
bit_9 Offline

Last year I hosted a ODU-GA Southern watching party at my house just like that. Launched ESPN3 in my living room through my media pc and then hooked up a netbook to another LCD in my kitchen so people could stand around in there and eat/watch.

espn3 on lcd
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2012 01:33 PM by bit_9.)
11-21-2012 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

You guys didn't get my point. I have ESPN3 through my Xbox. But, I'm a miserable wreck during the games. I don't like distractions either. Thus, I'm happy watching the game at my house on my big TV. Don't want people talking about other things or seeing me yell at the TV over dumb stuff.
11-21-2012 01:38 PM
bit_9 Offline

Oh!! Gotcha. =]
11-21-2012 01:39 PM
pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

A lot of places will pull it up on espn3 if you ask ahead of time. depends on the place i guess though, if they know how to hook a computer up to a TV. The one thing I hate now is that ESPN3 is blocking out so much of the country from watching a lot of football games and many other sports. I think they're trying to backpedal and push everyone back to cable sports packages. I'd love to be able to just buy ESPN subscription with no worries about blackouts. I'd pay up to $20/month for watchespn without a cable subscription.
11-21-2012 02:59 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

Can't get out of here fast enough. And how sad is it that we are the worst team in such a horrible conference? 1-8, 0-1 in conference and sitting dead last.

New coach, new direction.
12-09-2012 03:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
From one of the tailgate lots yesterday...

http://twitpic.com/bk9ujh
12-09-2012 05:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODU True Blue Offline
All American

ODU CAA's all time winning percentage in conference football games: 13-3. Have to believe they are glad to see us leave.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 05:30 PM by ODU True Blue.)
12-09-2012 05:29 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

Folding@NCAAbbs
(12-09-2012 05:29 PM)ODU True Blue Wrote:  ODU CAA's all time winning percentage in conference football games: 81.25% (13-3) Have to believe they are glad to see us leave.

FIFY
12-09-2012 05:35 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

(12-09-2012 05:16 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  From one of the tailgate lots yesterday...

Haha, nice.

I like that new ODU license plate, I'm going to have to get that.
12-09-2012 08:24 PM
pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

(12-09-2012 05:16 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  From one of the tailgate lots yesterday...

haha I saw this guy in great bridge after the JMU game. I was trying to take a picture, but hard to do while driving. :-D nice license plate if you're up here guy.
12-10-2012 08:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.