Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
UC Bearcats cruise past Temple, 34-10
UC Bearcats cruise past Temple, 34-10
Kay impresses in first start

3:26 PM, Nov 10, 2012

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20121110&...mple-34-10]
Bearcats quarterback Brendon Kay escapes the grasp of Temple linebacker Ahkeem Smith (24) during the second quarter. / Howard Smith-US PRESSWIRE

Written by
Bill Koch

PHILADELPHIA – There will be no quarterback controversy next week as the University of Cincinnati Bearcats prepare for Rutgers.

Brendon Kay, making his first start since he was in high school, ran the UC offense as if he had been doing it for years, leading the Bearcats to a 34-10 victory over Temple on Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field.

Kay, who had thrown only 13 career passes before Saturday, started in place of Munchie Legaux and displayed a passing touch reminiscent of Tony Pike in moving the Bearcats up and down the field against an Owls’ defense that ranks last in the Big East in total offense and total defense.

The fifth-year senior from Marine City, Mich., finished with 13 completions in 21 attempts for 244 yards and one touchdown with no interceptions. He also ran for 71 yards on seven carries and caught one of his own passes for five yards.

It was the kind of performance that had to make fans wonder where the Bearcats would be if Kay had started all year.

As it is, they are 7-2 overall, 3-1 in the Big East and bowl eligible for the sixth time in the last seven years. Temple (3-6, 2-4) lost its fourth straight game.

UC running back George Winn, the leading rusher in the Big East, ran 20 times for 83 yards and two touchdowns.

The Bearcats jumped in front midway through the first quarter when Winn scored on a 1-yard run to complete a 6-play, 74-yard drive. The key play in the drive was Kay’s 29-yard pass to Anthony McClung, with a 15-yard personal foul tacked on at the end.

After Temple’s Brandon McManus kicked a 20-yard field goal to draw the Owls within four, UC reeled off 17 unanswered points to take a 24-3 lead into halftime.

The onslaught began with a perfectly thrown 75-yard touchdown pass from Kay to Kenbrell Thompkins, who caught the ball in stride as he streaked down the sideline. That gave the Bearcats a 14-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.

UC scored again on another 1-yard run by Winn that was set up by Kay’s 40-yard run to make it 21-3. The Bearcats completed the first-half scoring with Tony Miliano’s 22-yard field goal with 16 seconds left after Drew Frey picked off a Chris Coyer pass and returned it to the Temple 43.

As if Kay didn’t do enough in the first half, he also caught one of his own passes when his throw was batted in the air by linebacker Nate Smith only to watch it land in Kay’s hands, with the UC quarterback turning it into a 5-yard gain.

Temple showed some life in the third quarter. Sparked by backup quarterback Juice Granger, the Owls drove 75 yards on their first possession of the second half and scored on Granger’s 4-yard pass to tight end Cody Booth to cut UC’s lead to 24-10. It was Granger’s first career touchdown pass.

Kay then put the game away for UC with another perfect pass, this one for 65 yards to wide receiver Chris Moore with 21 seconds left in the third quarter. The Bearcats added more three points on Miliano’s 23-yard field goal with 3:16 to play.

Legaux entered the game at quarterback for the Bearcats’ final possession with 1:32 remaining.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121...eakingnews

11-10-2012 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: UC Bearcats cruise past Temple, 34-10
He forgot the line "in front of 842 fans". It is in all the home game articles.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 04:32 PM by Bruce Monnin.)
11-10-2012 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(11-10-2012 04:32 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  He forgot the line "in front of 842 fans". It is in all the home game articles.

I hate that people get on him for that. It is pretty standard to put the attendance of a game in the opening paragraph of an article when using AP style.

11-10-2012 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Then why does he only do it for home games? Where is the consistency?

11-10-2012 06:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Not sure. Maybe it is because if the AP picks up an article it will pick up the one from the home team's beat writer. Just a guess.

11-10-2012 06:31 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(11-10-2012 04:35 PM)subflea Wrote:  
(11-10-2012 04:32 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  He forgot the line "in front of 842 fans". It is in all the home game articles.

I hate that people get on him for that. It is pretty standard to put the attendance of a game in the opening paragraph of an article when using AP style.

I hate people that hate people who point out Koch's attendance comments.

11-10-2012 06:38 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

Well I don't fall into that category since I hate when people point out that fact, not the people who do so.

11-10-2012 06:40 PM
Advertisement

BearcatShane09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Hell, I wanna know what our attendence numbers are when UC plays at home.

11-10-2012 07:19 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
I wanna see a sell out on Saturday for Rutgers.

11-10-2012 07:35 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(11-10-2012 07:35 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  I wanna see a sell out on Saturday for Rutgers.

X2

11-10-2012 07:36 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I can't believe that it won't be, even with the noon kickoff.

11-10-2012 10:46 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
HEY! I hate both of you 03-lmfao

11-10-2012 10:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.