Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

As SMU moves to the Big East...
Bookmark and Share
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU / BEast
As SMU moves to the Big East...
As you all know, SMU is taking advantage of the opportunity to move to a more profitable and National conference. The reasons are obvious - exposure, money, access (maybe not as direct as before).

I have enjoyed being on this board, even though I havent posted much. CUSA has not been a bad home for the Mustangs. I think SMU desperately feels the need to be considered amoung the best in Texas. And this is absolutely possible... just not in CUSA. SMU's challange is to not be left behind their SWC foes...

I am wondering, truthfully, if anyone is going to miss us in CUSA. I get the sense not many people care either way about SMU (and if true, may have been part of why SMU never felt comfortable in the league).

Im afraid of this answer... but I will ask anyway. What are y'alls thoughts on SMU's move? Do you believe SMU brought value to the conference?
11-07-2012 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: As SMU moves to the Big East...
(11-07-2012 01:59 PM)SMUfrat Wrote:  As you all know, SMU is taking advantage of the opportunity to move to a more profitable and National conference. The reasons are obvious - exposure, money, access (maybe not as direct as before).

I have enjoyed being on this board, even though I havent posted much. CUSA has not been a bad home for the Mustangs. I think SMU desperately feels the need to be considered amoung the best in Texas. And this is absolutely possible... just not in CUSA. SMU's challange is to not be left behind their SWC foes...

I am wondering, truthfully, if anyone is going to miss us in CUSA. I get the sense not many people care either way about SMU (and if true, may have been part of why SMU never felt comfortable in the league).

Im afraid of this answer... but I will ask anyway. What are y'alls thoughts on SMU's move? Do you believe SMU brought value to the conference?

Shouldn't have gotten caught
11-07-2012 02:09 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
This will go well
11-07-2012 02:16 PM
not_again Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
Just be glad you got invited when you did. This is how I would guess most ECU fans feel about SMU. Its hard to get fired up for a small private school who has not competive in the big 3 sports for most years you have been in the league and you are half way across the country from ECU. I wish your university the best going forward but I think you still have a steep hill to climb.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 02:17 PM by not_again.)
11-07-2012 02:17 PM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

(11-07-2012 02:17 PM)not_again Wrote:  Just be glad you got invited when you did. This is how I would guess most ECU fans feel about SMU. Its hard to get fired up for a small private school who has not competive in the big 3 sports for most years you have been in the league and you are half way across the country from ECU. I wish your university the best going forward but I think you still have a steep hill to climb.

Yep, a steep hill for sure. I just watched the 30 for 30 for The U last night...

Makes me think we need momentum like that, minus the thug aspect. SMU would never allow it, haha
11-07-2012 02:22 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2012 02:22 PM)SMUfrat Wrote:  
(11-07-2012 02:17 PM)not_again Wrote:  Just be glad you got invited when you did. This is how I would guess most ECU fans feel about SMU. Its hard to get fired up for a small private school who has not competive in the big 3 sports for most years you have been in the league and you are half way across the country from ECU. I wish your university the best going forward but I think you still have a steep hill to climb.

Yep, a steep hill for sure. I just watched the 30 for 30 for The U last night...

Makes me think we need momentum like that, minus the thug aspect. SMU would never allow it, haha

So does every other school..... I've said for years that ECU just needs to make an SMU/Miami type gamble and go all in, we'd just be sitting in the same place we are now ----purgatory
11-07-2012 02:25 PM
Advertisement

USM@FTL Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
C-USA will be easier to win and pad win totals. That's more helpful than everyone beating each other. Boise profited from a weak WAC. Here's hoping we can do the same.

I'll be in Dallas this weekend for the USM/SMU Bobby Collins Bowl. LOL!
11-07-2012 02:52 PM
TUBballJunkie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
I'll bite. I've enjoyed playing SMU in bball and football since we were together in the WAC. It's a different rivalry than I feel toward other conference mates but it's there nonetheless.

I'd be in favor of playing OOC fairly regularly.
11-07-2012 02:54 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
03-lmfao Great troll post. Seriously this is good stuff. I can't blame SMU for getting out of this purgatory when they had the chance. I just don't think the BigEast tag is going to help all that much considering you're in B12 & SEC country.
11-07-2012 02:55 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
(11-07-2012 01:59 PM)SMUfrat Wrote:  As you all know, SMU is taking advantage of the opportunity to move to a more profitable and National conference. The reasons are obvious - exposure, money, access (maybe not as direct as before).

Im sure playing Rutgers and San Diego State will do wonders for your position in Texas. Maybe your 90 year old basketball coach will improve the Big East hoops. The Big East got your TV market as well as your "Peewee Football like atmosphere" home football games.

Its a match made in heaven.

SMU like the rest of the lost TV markets have already been replaced.
11-07-2012 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(11-07-2012 02:56 PM)MU ATO Wrote:  SMU like the rest of the lost TV markets have already been replaced.

Yes, we replaced them with other large markets in which nobody gives a 01-rivals about the local CUSA3.0 schools UNT and FIU. 03-banghead

03-puke
11-07-2012 02:59 PM
Advertisement

fedale Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MARSHALL
Coming from an East division conference mate...

...No.

I don't remember being excited about anything SMU had to offer.

SMU is the poor man's TCU.

This is my order of teams leaving and what value I thought they brought.

UCF
Memphis(Basketball obviously)
UH
SMU
11-07-2012 03:05 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

Has SMU seriously won at anything since they got here? They don't even have a baseball team.
11-07-2012 03:09 PM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

(11-07-2012 03:09 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Has SMU seriously won at anything since they got here? They don't even have a baseball team.

Not to try and argue... but SMU (all sports counted) is the winningest (not sure this is a word) school in CUSA.

Soccer, Tennis, Swim, Track, Volleyball, etc...

Football has won the west division once.
11-07-2012 03:13 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2012 03:13 PM)SMUfrat Wrote:  
(11-07-2012 03:09 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Has SMU seriously won at anything since they got here? They don't even have a baseball team.

Not to try and argue... but SMU (all sports counted) is the winningest (not sure this is a word) school in CUSA.

So sports hardly anyone on this board has witnessed take place in person and generate zero revenue.......... I see.
11-07-2012 03:16 PM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
I don't blame SMU for taking the invite since invites these days are about markets primarily.

I will miss SMU just because I grew up in El Paso and most of us Texas Western fans were big fans of the SWC and the Ponies were a part of that. Lingering cache.
11-07-2012 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Nice Guy Eddie Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulsa
(11-07-2012 03:05 PM)fedale Wrote:  SMU is the poor man's TCU.

Actually it's the other way around, although not in athletics. The socio-economic level of Muffy and Skip at SMU is quite a bit higher than Nadine and Billy Bob at TCU.

My guess is that now that TCU is in the Big 12, the NCAA will eventually make them pay for the sins of UT-Austin.
11-07-2012 03:24 PM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

(11-07-2012 03:16 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(11-07-2012 03:13 PM)SMUfrat Wrote:  

So sports hardly anyone on this board has witnessed take place in person and generate zero revenue.......... I see.

okay, Ill put you on the side as "don't care at all"

I guess North Texas, in your eyes, is a better school anyways. Makes sense...
11-07-2012 03:26 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
My own thoughts about SMU are Death Pentaly or not, Texas is too into football for a program not to draw more than it does and with the money that flows through SMU how it hasn't done better on the field since then.
11-07-2012 03:27 PM
SMUfrat Offline
2nd String

(11-07-2012 03:27 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  My own thoughts about SMU are Death Pentaly or not, Texas is too into football for a program not to draw more than it does and with the money that flows through SMU how it hasn't done better on the field since then.

I think all of us at SMU wonder the same thing. Hope it changes in the BE
11-07-2012 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.