ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Jones: ‘I liked intangibles I saw’ in Kay
Jones: ‘I liked intangibles I saw’ in Kay
11/05/12 at 12:38pm by bkoch

If Butch Jones has decided to give Brendon Kay a shot as the starting quarterback this week at Temple, he wasn’t saying during his turn on the Big East coaches’ call Monday.

Jones maintained the stance that he took after the game Saturday: Munchie Legaux and Kay will compete for the starting job during practice this week and whoever shows Jones that he gives the Bearcats their best chance to win at Temple will start.

Jones was careful not to appear as if he were abandoning Legaux.

“I have great belief in him,” he said. “My confidence has not changed one bit.”

But he was also critical of Legaux, whom he removed from the game late in the third quarter against Syracuse in favor of Kay.

”It gets back to what I said is that we’re not going to tolerate inconsistency and sometimes being careless with the football,” Jones said. “We need to take care of the football. He understands.”

Jones said there were a lot of things he liked in Kay’s performance.

“I thought he had a command presence,” Jones said. “I thought he stepped in the huddle and it was, ‘all right, let’s go.’ He has great knowledge, a great grasp of our offense. I thought he had tremendous poise. He took control. You didn’t see the big wide eyes. It was like business as usual. He was very poised, calm, cool and collected. I liked the quarterback intangibles that I saw.”

Now it’s up to Jones to decide if Kay’s performance of a little over a quarter is enough merit a start this week.

“Now all of a sudden, is Brendon Kay like a pitcher in baseball?” Jones said. “Are they better in relief or as a starter?”

http://news.cincinnati.com/ucblog

11-05-2012 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
RE: Jones: ‘I liked intangibles I saw’ in Kay
Hopefully he has looked that word up by now and knows what it actually means.

11-05-2012 08:20 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
maybe Kay will lead us to wins in final games and UofL drops two and we go to bcs with Kay....it would be legendary

11-05-2012 08:55 PM
Demoengr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GO UC!
too late the damage is done:(

11-05-2012 08:58 PM
bearcatjim Offline
Exquisitely Aware

I Root For: Quartinos
Donators
(11-05-2012 08:55 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  maybe Kay will lead us to wins in final games and UofL drops two and we go to bcs with Kay....it would be legendary

Legen......wait for it........

DARY!!!!

11-05-2012 09:05 PM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-05-2012 09:05 PM)bearcatjim Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 08:55 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  maybe Kay will lead us to wins in final games and UofL drops two and we go to bcs with Kay....it would be legendary

Legen......wait for it........

DARY!!!!

Beat me to it!

11-05-2012 09:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

this b*&( isn't over yet!!!!

11-05-2012 09:10 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2012 08:20 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Hopefully he has looked that word up by now and knows what it actually means.

This literally made me laugh out loud. Up rep!

11-06-2012 07:34 AM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Quote:“Now all of a sudden, is Brendon Kay like a pitcher in baseball?” Jones said. “Are they better in relief or as a starter?”

That can't seriously be considered. You don't wait for your starter, who has consistently stunk, to look bad till you put in the backup.

11-06-2012 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I am still shocked that Kay got PT. Jones seems stubborn to the point of insanity at times. I noticed him backpedalling with his comments about Munchie and Kay after the game. Maybe there is hope yet...

11-06-2012 10:04 AM
ucdsk Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Bearcats
I hope Kay starts and play significant time against Temple. i also happen to believe that a fully healed and rested Munchie gives the Cats their best opportunity to win the rest of the season. Munchie has been injured and beaten up this whole season and a little rest without a bye week can only improve his body and psyche, if he is the player I think he is. UC starting more than one quarterback is nothing new and now is as good as time as any to do so. Go Cats and beat the Owls.02-13-banana

11-06-2012 12:47 PM
DDaddy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats

Donators
That's the first I have heard about the Munchster being injured unless you are talking about the ankle. Even that did not look too serious. Do you think that is what has been what is wrong with his passing? :)

Certainly having an experienced back-up is best no matter who starts. I am hoping to see Kay this week.

11-06-2012 01:32 PM
Fubar Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Red & Black
I thought Kay's tangibles were the difference. You know, completing passes and looking off defenders.

11-06-2012 02:17 PM
Advertisement

CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
This is what I have seen this week. Munchie and Kay equally sharing time in practice. Munchie to start, Kay to play some and Juallen to play some. You heard it hear first.

11-06-2012 02:49 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I want Kay starting....

11-06-2012 03:17 PM
indycat Offline
1st String

My guess is Munchie will start. A bad series or two and Butch does his best Sparky Anderson "Captain Hook" and inserts Kay.

11-06-2012 03:26 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
>>Asked specifically if Luallen could be the starter, Jones said, “Yeah, he’ll be in there and if he’s not the starting quarterback I think you’ll see his role continue to increase. I thought he did a great job of providing a spark and energy level to us. I think his role will continue to expand in our quarterback and our entire offense.”

“That’s news to me,” Luallen said, “if that’s the case. But if it is, I’ll be ready to go. I’ve been just preparing myself, my body and my mind all season, just trying to stay positive and be ready any time my number was called.” <<<

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2012/11/0...arterback/

11-06-2012 04:27 PM
Advertisement

JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
isn't this week the perfect game (of those left on the schedule) to use a new starting qb? not to knock temple, but they're not even a mid-tier big east football team. throw kay in and let him get some experience.

11-06-2012 04:56 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2012 04:56 PM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  isn't this week the perfect game (of those left on the schedule) to use a new starting qb? not to knock temple, but they're not even a mid-tier big east football team. throw kay in and let him get some experience.

Agreed. He looked good when Syracuse was showing their hand late in the game but I'd like to see how he does adjusting from coverages in the 1st half to after halftime when coaches make their adjustments themselves.

11-06-2012 05:06 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
(11-06-2012 05:06 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 04:56 PM)JPBearcat3 Wrote:  isn't this week the perfect game (of those left on the schedule) to use a new starting qb? not to knock temple, but they're not even a mid-tier big east football team. throw kay in and let him get some experience.

Agreed. He looked good when Syracuse was showing their hand late in the game but I'd like to see how he does adjusting from coverages in the 1st half to after halftime when coaches make their adjustments themselves.

totally agree Chris

11-06-2012 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.