Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East Exec Punches Back @ ACC spin
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

I Root For: SHU
Big East Exec Punches Back @ ACC spin
First news from BE Execs on the day the ESPN contract dies:

‏@NickCarparelli:

"New Big East in top 50 per @PaulMyerberg UL 10 BSU 22 RU 27 UCF 31 SDS 36 UC 42 Navy 49 / New ACC FSU 8 CU 11 UNC 46"

https://twitter.com/NickCarparelli/statu...4930037760

[Image: Adobe-Acrobat-Standard-Kapow.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:21 PM by TheRock.)
11-05-2012 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Carolina Stang Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
RE: Big East Exec Punches Back @ ACC spin
Love that guy
11-05-2012 04:26 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(11-05-2012 04:21 PM)TheRock Wrote:  First news from BE Execs on the day the ESPN contract dies:

‏@NickCarparelli:

"New Big East in top 50 per @PaulMyerberg UL 10 BSU 22 RU 27 UCF 31 SDS 36 UC 42 Navy 49 / New ACC FSU 8 CU 11 UNC 46"

I see FOUR new Big East teams on that list...yet I can't find where the 2 new ACC Football Teams (Syracuse and Pitt) are ranked....wonder why?
11-05-2012 04:30 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I understand why he's doing that (along with a number of his other Tweets) and know that Big East fans will obviously eat up the red meat, but it looks completely petty from the outside to have a high level conference executive doing that. In contrast, Aresco has a way of playing up the inherent strengths of the conference as opposed to trying to make the same tired comparisons to the ACC (or Big Ten or anyone else), which is much more effective.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:34 PM by Frank the Tank.)
11-05-2012 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
what rankings is he referring to?
11-05-2012 04:34 PM
Borncoog74 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(11-05-2012 04:34 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I understand why he's doing that (along with a number of his other Tweets) and know that Big East fans will obviously eat up the red meat, but it looks completely petty from the outside to have a high level conference executive doing that. In contrast, Aresco has a way of playing up the inherent strengths of the conference as opposed to trying to make the same tired comparisons to the ACC (or Big Ten or anyone else), which is much more effective.

03-puke
Whatever dude.... Do you ever tire from coming on this board and trying to, "put us in our place?"

There have been other conference commissioners and execs taking pot shots at the BE all year.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:38 PM by Borncoog74.)
11-05-2012 04:37 PM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(11-05-2012 04:34 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I understand why he's doing that (along with a number of his other Tweets) and know that Big East fans will obviously eat up the red meat, but it looks completely petty from the outside to have a high level conference executive doing that. In contrast, Aresco has a way of playing up the inherent strengths of the conference as opposed to trying to make the same tired comparisons to the ACC (or Big Ten or anyone else), which is much more effective.

So the TV networks can talk down the Big East but a conference exec can't show the facts that dispute that?
11-05-2012 04:38 PM
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

Seriously...This is standard operating procedure in this country. Watch a presidential debate (um..not this year though) and then watch a vice presidential debate. The #2 guy is always suppose to throw red meat to the base, while the top dogs stay above the fray. If Aresco didn't ok this line of attack, it would happen period.
11-05-2012 04:44 PM
ponydawg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Good cop bad cop.

I like it.
11-05-2012 04:44 PM
Lord2FLI Away
Peanut Vendor

I Root For: The End
(11-05-2012 04:30 PM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 04:21 PM)TheRock Wrote:  First news from BE Execs on the day the ESPN contract dies:

‏@NickCarparelli:

I see FOUR new Big East teams on that list...yet I can't find where the 2 new ACC Football Teams (Syracuse and Pitt) are ranked....wonder why?

[Image: 8727172-isolated-beautiful-girl-shrugs-h...ulders.jpg]

Eh, 144 characters, what can ya do
11-05-2012 04:45 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-05-2012 04:38 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

So the TV networks can talk down the Big East but a conference exec can't show the facts that dispute that?

This isn't some type of TV analyst paid to spew opinions all of the time. This is the #2 person in command at the Big East so, yes, there's a different set of standards for decorum. When you make a petty argument, the only people that will listen to it are the ones that agreed with the opinion in the first place (who exalt it as "AWESOME POINTS!"), while everyone else regards it as meaningless spin that's annoying more than anything.

Look at our presidential election taking place tomorrow as Example A of this. Every Romney parsing is blown up by the Obama camp ("SEE THOSE BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN!") and vice versa ("WE BUILT THIS BUSINESS!"), which all leads to just a bunch of meaningless spin noise except the partisans that eat up the red meat.

As I've said, Aresco has been very effective at playing up the strengths of the Big East without sounding petty. There's a very large difference.
11-05-2012 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-05-2012 04:50 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 04:38 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

This isn't some type of TV analyst paid to spew opinions all of the time. This is the #2 person in command at the Big East so, yes, there's a different set of standards for decorum. When you make a petty argument, the only people that will listen to it are the ones that agreed with the opinion in the first place (who exalt it as "AWESOME POINTS!"), while everyone else regards it as meaningless spin that's annoying more than anything.

Look at our presidential election taking place tomorrow as Example A of this. Every Romney parsing is blown up by the Obama camp ("SEE THOSE BINDERS FULL OF WOMEN!") and vice versa ("WE BUILT THIS BUSINESS!"), which all leads to just a bunch of meaningless spin noise except the partisans that eat up the red meat.

As I've said, Aresco has been very effective at playing up the strengths of the Big East without sounding petty. There's a very large difference.

So when the Commish of the ACC and Big 12 say "Power 5" thats okay then? 03-banghead01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:53 PM by NJRedMan.)
11-05-2012 04:53 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-05-2012 04:44 PM)TheRock Wrote:  

Seriously...This is standard operating procedure in this country. Watch a presidential debate (um..not this year though) and then watch a vice presidential debate. The #2 guy is always suppose to throw red meat to the base, while the top dogs stay above the fray. If Aresco didn't ok this line of attack, it would happen period.

Oh, I perfectly understand the good cop/bad cop routine. I just have a preternatural aversion to any type of red meat (and that goes for politics even more than sports) since it typically appeals to the lowest common denominator.
11-05-2012 04:54 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(11-05-2012 04:37 PM)Borncoog74 Wrote:  

03-puke
Whatever dude.... Do you ever tire from coming on this board and trying to, "put us in our place?"

There have been other conference commissioners and execs taking pot shots at the BE all year.

Ding!

Frank believes that only others can take shots at the Big East...but if anyone from the Big East dares to fire back...Frank's almost always the first to call it petty.

When Swofford was screaming/yelling about the BIG 5 for football (even though the Big East outperformed his own conf), one never heard Frank call those shouts "petty".
11-05-2012 04:55 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

I say let the "bad cop" fight fire with fire while Aresco maintains dignity as the "good cop". Sometimes you HAVE to toot your own horn. "If it's true it ain't braggin". I think Big East fans have every right to feel outraged and vindictive over what has transpired over the last year. If that makes me "petty" so be it.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 04:57 PM by Gray Avenger.)
11-05-2012 04:55 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

At least two other conference commissioners (Neinas, Swofford, and who knows who else?) were blabbing away about the "big five". What about them?

If the BE is attacked, WTF is it supposed to do??
11-05-2012 04:58 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(11-05-2012 04:53 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  So when the Commish of the ACC and Big 12 say "Power 5" thats okay then? 03-banghead01-wingedeagle

Oops. I should have read ahead 03-lmfao
11-05-2012 04:59 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(11-05-2012 04:59 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 04:53 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  So when the Commish of the ACC and Big 12 say "Power 5" thats okay then? 03-banghead01-wingedeagle

Oops. I should have read ahead 03-lmfao

No worries, it's pretty obvious to all of us that folks higher than an associate commish has taken some pretty petty shots at us. (Swofford talking about taking the ACC championship to MSG the day after Dave Gavitt died.)
11-05-2012 05:02 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

(11-05-2012 04:58 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  

At least two other conference commissioners (Neinas, Swofford, and who knows who else?) were blabbing away about the "big five". What about them?

If the BE is attacked, WTF is it supposed to do??

Ding...and Ding.

All NC did was send out positive info about the future conf...and DARED to compare it to the joke ACC (since most in the MEDIA haven't done it)...yet Frank gave a pass all year long with others belittled the Big East Conf.

Frank's message (protect the establishment) is getting so old...yet its still funny to see he can't break his habit of protecting those that ATTACK the Big East...and rip on the Big East if anyone dares to fight back.
11-05-2012 05:05 PM
TheRock Offline
Fresh off PUP list

(11-05-2012 04:54 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 04:44 PM)TheRock Wrote:  

Oh, I perfectly understand the good cop/bad cop routine. I just have a preternatural aversion to any type of red meat (and that goes for politics even more than sports) since it typically appeals to the lowest common denominator.

But Frank it's actually not good cop/bad cop. In that scenario the cops are equals, so really you never create the division of leadership. I don't know the name for this standard operating procedure, but I can describe another environment where it is also SOP- the military.

The rally speech to the generals/leaders is totally different than the one amongst the troops. Amongst the troops it's basically red meat (take that hill!, charge!, retreat hell!) where the speech amongst the generals being less emotional more actionable/detailed, seems to be the type you are referring to. Both speeches have the same purpose but are necessary for different reasons and both appropriate.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 05:14 PM by TheRock.)
11-05-2012 05:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.