Game #8 - at Morehead State L 28-70 (0-5, 1-7)
Bookmark and Share
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
Exclamation Game #8 - at Morehead State L 28-70 (0-5, 1-7)
0-4, 1-6 vs 0-4, 1-6.

Can the Camels continue last week's 4th Quarter performance this week on the road?
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2012 07:15 PM by OrangeCamel.)
10-23-2012 06:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wacamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell U.
RE: Game #8 - at Morehead State
I think we will score against them, just not sure that we will outscore them.

Morehead 38
Campbell 28
10-25-2012 04:57 PM
RedCamel Offline
Water Engineer

It will be interesting to see if the offense can carry some of the momentum from the 4th quarter against Davidson into this game. I hope those TD drives gave them some confidence they seemed to be lacking.
10-27-2012 08:36 AM
wacamel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell U.
UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!
10-27-2012 03:46 PM
Advertisement

camelfan Offline
Special Teams

RE: Game #8 - at Morehead State L 28-70 (0-5, 1-7)
Anybody else agreeing with me on the state of the program now?

That performance is pathetic. Morehead State is not that good. We are just that bad.
10-29-2012 08:10 AM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
I want to again state, I have never said this team was good or even close to it. All I have tried to say is that I think the reasoning for the team struggling as badly as it has runs A LOT deeper than the "coach sucks."
10-29-2012 09:03 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

After the loss at Morehead, Campbell has hit bottom....literally, as we're now #246 out of 246 in the Sagarin rankings.

ESPN should televise this week's game with #245 Valpo!

In the post-game comments, coach said they would return home and evaluate the whole state of the program.

Back to the Morehead game, I was able to listen to the 1st half and was encouraged. Was surprised when I saw the final score.
10-29-2012 10:42 AM
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I am not saying a coaching change won't happen. Personally, I hope it doesn't, BUT if other things don't change, I don't know if matters who the coach is. Mercer and Stetson are completing stadiums. Campbell has been in a half built facility for five years now. Plus, Mercer and Stetson are in much more fertile recruiting grounds (GA/FLA).

Mercer will be very good in time...I am very interested to see Stetson's level of committment.
10-29-2012 11:09 AM
RedCamel Offline
Water Engineer

I took a look at some photos of Mercers new stadium. By the looks of the football facilities and stadium I don't think they plan on playing non-scholarship football for long. Giving up 70 points twice in a season is awful. I understand Old Dominion, completely different caliber of team. Morehead State on the other hand is ridiculous and embarrassing.
10-30-2012 10:01 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

Not to play devils advocate about Mercer (And I could be completely wrong) but can anyone name a recent program or any program for that matter that started football non-scholarship and went to scholarship? Any new scholarship program that I know of is going scholarship from the get go. I don't think Mercer is going scholarship anytime soon.

Plus the economics of going scholarship at a school like Mercer is hard to imagine if you get addicted to the non-scholarship money. 65 scholarships at DI-AA (FCS) x $40,000.00 a year = $2.6 million of income. If you go scholarship, it is $2.6 million of out going cost. That is a swing in funds of $5.2 million. That is tough to stomach. I would assume that if their budget is anything like their A-Sun counterparts currently its overall budget is in the $10 to $11 million range. That is a tough pill to swallow if you go scholarship.
10-31-2012 12:21 PM
Advertisement

Chad4Life Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell, HPU
(10-31-2012 12:21 PM)Statman101 Wrote:  Not to play devils advocate about Mercer (And I could be completely wrong) but can anyone name a recent program or any program for that matter that started football non-scholarship and went to scholarship? Any new scholarship program that I know of is going scholarship from the get go. I don't think Mercer is going scholarship anytime soon.

Plus the economics of going scholarship at a school like Mercer is hard to imagine if you get addicted to the non-scholarship money. 65 scholarships at DI-AA (FCS) x $40,000.00 a year = $2.6 million of income. If you go scholarship, it is $2.6 million of out going cost. That is a swing in funds of $5.2 million. That is tough to stomach. I would assume that if their budget is anything like their A-Sun counterparts currently its overall budget is in the $10 to $11 million range. That is a tough pill to swallow if you go scholarship.

Minor correction--63 FCS scholarship limit, not 65

The only school that I believe that might meet the criteria is Charleston Southern, but I cannot remember if they were basically a non-scholarship school or they had a limited scholarship number.
The NEC conference has a 40 scholarship limit, I think, and there may be one or two schools who joined from the now-defunct non-scholarship MAAC football league, but those would still be 23 scholarship less than the 63 limit.

The one school of the Pioneer League schools that has occasionally been mentioned as maybe trying for scholarship football is Jacksonville, but the economics of the situation have held them back.

Basically, this day and age, I just don't see a private university or college starting a football program at the Division I level and going with scholarship football. Possibly Mercer has a plan to be non-scholarship for some years while they build a base to offer scholarships, but I doubt it.
10-31-2012 01:20 PM
RedCamel Offline
Water Engineer

They may not have plans to go scholarship but their facilities are beautiful and they will be starting their first season with a completed stadium. Priority number one for our football program should be finishing the stadium. Recruiting a kid with the things going against us mentioned is previous posts is made even harder when you have to show the kid a half finished stadium with a trailer on stilts for a press box.
11-01-2012 07:26 PM
camelfan Offline
Special Teams

I think the stadium will be finished before next year.

Maybe we will have a completed stadium and a new coach by next season. Can start fresh.
11-02-2012 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.