Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Cincinnati’s Kilpatrick primed for breakout season
Cincinnati’s Kilpatrick primed for breakout season
By Trevor HassStaff Writer
Published October 18, 2012 at 2:07 am

NEW YORK — Mick Cronin knows Sean Kilpatrick will be playing in the NBA one day.

“I think he’s been on some NBA Draft sites on the internet” Cronin said. “I’m not smart enough to find those. He’s like a son to me, but I think that day will come.”

When it does, Cincinnati will have a massive void to fill.

But first, Kilpatrick is looking to lead Cincinnati to a Big East championship after the team went to the Sweet 16 last season. With the losses of big man Yancy Gates and slasher Dion Dixon, the Bearcats will need even more production from Kilpatrick this season.

The 6-foot-4 Kilpatrick led Cincinnati with 14.3 points per game last year and finished first in the Big East with 92 3-pointers. Now a member of the Preseason All-Big East First Team, he has transformed into the go-to playmaker for the Bearcats. Cronin said Kilpatrick’s relentless pursuit of excellence and his genuine passion for the game of basketball set him apart from other talented players.

“Getting kids to play hard is much more difficult than fans would think,” Cronin said. “It’s difficult to find guys that compete at that level every play, every day, but that’s in his DNA. That’s who he is. He loves basketball.”

Kilpatrick’s tenacity helped mold Cincinnati into a defensive-minded, scrappy team last season, as the Bearcats held 29 of their 37 opponents to fewer than 70 points. One of those games came in the Big East tournament against Syracuse, when Kilpatrick ate the Orange alive, finishing with 18 points on six 3s.

Cronin said Kilpatrick has always been a knockdown shooter, but he has worked on other elements of his game to become a more complete player.

For Cronin, Kilpatrick’s future will likely depend on his production this season.

“Hopefully going pro is an option for him and that he has that kind of season,” Cronin said. “I don’t want to lose him, but I’m all for him having a great year.”

Contact Trevor: tbhass@syr.edu

http://dailyorange.com/2012/10/cincinnat...ut-season/

10-19-2012 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
RE: Cincinnati’s Kilpatrick primed for breakout season
I didnt realize killa was first in the beast last year with made 3's. 3 pt shooting % should go up as a team now that Dixon's gone.

10-19-2012 08:44 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: Cincinnati’s Kilpatrick primed for breakout season
I haven't been this excited about a UC team since proly 2001-ish

10-20-2012 07:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.