Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some cheap advice to Louisiana
Bookmark and Share
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
While I expect Arkansas State will probably land in a bowl this year, our hopes rest on some other league coming up short (which is going to happen) we aren't likely going to be in Mobile/New Orleans mix and with the league having no back-up deals and the MAC having already dashed in to cut back up deals with Dallas and St Pete, I'm nervous about where we may land.

All that to say, this is heartfelt advice to a program I like and have a long running respect for but my program has only nominal advantage to gain if you take my advice.

Cajuns, do everything you can to go to Mobile. You blew the roof off sales in New Orleans last year and did it in fine fashion but you don't have anything you can prove this year playing in New Orleans. If you sell one ticket less than last year, it is a disappointment. If you sell more than last year, it is "well its in state and just down the road, what do you expect?"

You need to travel the extra miles down the road to Mobile. Sell 10k, 15k, 20k whatever there and prove you can sell bowl tickets outside your home state.

It will bolster your reputation and have carry over benefit to the league as a whole.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 03:41 PM by arkstfan.)
10-09-2012 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Some cheap advice to Louisiana
(10-09-2012 03:41 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  While I expect Arkansas State will probably land in a bowl this year, our hopes rest on some other league coming up short (which is going to happen) we aren't likely going to be in Mobile/New Orleans mix and with the league having no back-up deals and the MAC having already dashed in to cut back up deals with Dallas and St Pete, I'm nervous about where we may land.

All that to say, this is heartfelt advice to a program I like and have a long running respect for but my program has only nominal advantage to gain if you take my advice.

Cajuns, do everything you can to go to Mobile. You blew the roof off sales in New Orleans last year and did it in fine fashion but you don't have anything you can prove this year playing in New Orleans. If you sell one ticket less than last year, it is a disappointment. If you sell more than last year, it is "well its in state and just down the road, what do you expect?"

You need to travel the extra miles down the road to Mobile. Sell 10k, 15k, 20k whatever there and prove you can sell bowl tickets outside your home state.

It will bolster your reputation and have carry over benefit to the league as a whole.

I do not disagree with that observation. I will say, though, that it is likely the Cajuns would take only around 20K to Mobile as opposed to the 35K plus we brought to NOLA; and I further doubt that GoDaddy would be as generous with tickets as NOLA is....UL was allotted an additional 10K tickets to NOLA that the school could profit from, all of which we sold; I can't see GoDaddy doing that. I do believe, though, that we would bring as many or more fans to Mobile as any other school in the conference besides USA.

If we don't go to NOLA, I think we would actually bring more fans to a bowl in Houston than in Mobile;mostly because of our large and relatively prosperous alumni base in Houston.
10-09-2012 03:57 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cajuns
(10-09-2012 03:41 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  While I expect Arkansas State will probably land in a bowl this year, our hopes rest on some other league coming up short (which is going to happen) we aren't likely going to be in Mobile/New Orleans mix and with the league having no back-up deals and the MAC having already dashed in to cut back up deals with Dallas and St Pete, I'm nervous about where we may land.

JMO. Since almost all bowl participants lose money (probably 99%) excepting the BCS games, it makes no sense to go somewhere to break even or lose money just to prove your fans can travel. Teams need to go 3-4 days before the games to practice and do all the bowl related activities. You're also bringing support staff, cheerleaders, and band. That runs into a nice chunk of change. I guess you could go anywhere and have the league share in the losses incurred by the participating university as that's what normally happens for bowl participants. Unless you get into a BCS bowl, or have a BCS athletic budget, I say go for the money. I know the Cajuns turned a nice profit from the N.O. Bowl last year. I can see Mobile & Houston (or god help me even Shreveport) as bowls possibilities where the Cajuns could being 30K-40K fans, but N.O. is a great place to spend a long weekend (I seem to remember).
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 05:10 PM by CajunAmos.)
10-09-2012 05:09 PM
CrazyCajun Offline
All American

Good points. But several bowls had contacted UL last season and with the numbers UL delivered to the New Orleans Bowl peaked interest from Houston and several others. Not saying your premise is incorrect, just saying I'm not sure why UL needs to build a resume for trips within four hour drives from Lafayette.
10-09-2012 05:24 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

Not sure is you're responding to my post, but I was looking at it as a monetary situation. I don't think we should be looking at bowls where we'll lose a million dollars just because the bowl may be thought to have a "bigger name". When we get to the point where we can drop a million and not feel the hit, that would be the time to look at bowls that are long travel times.
10-09-2012 05:32 PM
LifetimeTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
(10-09-2012 05:32 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  Not sure is you're responding to my post, but I was looking at it as a monetary situation. I don't think we should be looking at bowls where we'll lose a million dollars just because the bowl may be thought to have a "bigger name". When we get to the point where we can drop a million and not feel the hit, that would be the time to look at bowls that are long travel times.

As long as UL was able to have a decent turnout in Mobile, Houston, etc, the financial hit would be minimal and could even potentially be a profit. And even if there was a minimal cost, it could be viewed as an investment to show the desirability of UL to other conferences, tv networks, etc. If you could minimize the loss (or turn a small profit), and in turn get a much larger tv deal or even an invite to a conference with more revenues, then it would be a good investment for the program.
10-09-2012 05:50 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

ASU sold 10k in Mobile and made money. In college sports you don't want to be labeled a one trick pony. It's in UL's interest to stay away from New Orleans this year.
10-09-2012 11:26 PM
Hammer58 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: LouisianaCajuns
While Mobile is not a bad destination I think the timing of the GoDaddy is not conducive to great attendance. While I would make very effort to attend it would be more difficult Tom ake such a trip after the start of the new year. Getting time off of work right after the holidays is difficult. Also kids are a kin school o parents have to take that io account. It's too bad they can't change the date.
10-10-2012 05:57 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

(10-09-2012 05:50 PM)LifetimeTopper Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 05:32 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  Not sure is you're responding to my post, but I was looking at it as a monetary situation. I don't think we should be looking at bowls where we'll lose a million dollars just because the bowl may be thought to have a "bigger name". When we get to the point where we can drop a million and not feel the hit, that would be the time to look at bowls that are long travel times.

As long as UL was able to have a decent turnout in Mobile, Houston, etc, the financial hit would be minimal and could even potentially be a profit. And even if there was a minimal cost, it could be viewed as an investment to show the desirability of UL to other conferences, tv networks, etc. If you could minimize the loss (or turn a small profit), and in turn get a much larger tv deal or even an invite to a conference with more revenues, then it would be a good investment for the program.

The Cajuns need to go to the bowl that best serves UL, not the conference, not potential future pie in the sky tv deals.

IMO there would be several huge differences in going to Mobile or Houston vs New Orleans. Mobile, Bama Gulf Coast, and West Florida
gulf Coast do not have lots of UL alumni, but Houston does, probably more than New Orleans.

Houston is just about two more hours for the fan to drive than New Orleans, and that would really impact bowl day fans. Same for Mobile.

Now when it comes to money? I think there is a huge difference between a little profit and a little loss. Example five dollar profit vs five dollar loss is ten bucks, so in reality there are not any small losses vs small profits, and there is a huge difference between a large profit and a small loss.

Fan appeal? Really no contest, Mobile or Houston in January vs New Orleans near Christmas. Really New Orleans anytime is a better fan day experience.

Now I agree if things are pretty much equal Mobile vs Houston then the team might consider doing what is best for the conference, but even here we see Houston as a much stronger city for UL than Mobile.

We are putting a lot of cart before the horse. UL needs to win every game they are favored in to even get to seven wins. Doing this with a guy who has started one game in three years seems a bit of a challenge at best. We have no real second backup at that position.
10-10-2012 06:18 AM
LifetimeTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU

(10-10-2012 06:18 AM)CajunExpress Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 05:50 PM)LifetimeTopper Wrote:  

The Cajuns need to go to the bowl that best serves UL, not the conference, not potential future pie in the sky tv deals.

IMO there would be several huge differences in going to Mobile or Houston vs New Orleans. Mobile, Bama Gulf Coast, and West Florida
gulf Coast do not have lots of UL alumni, but Houston does, probably more than New Orleans.

Houston is just about two more hours for the fan to drive than New Orleans, and that would really impact bowl day fans. Same for Mobile.

Now when it comes to money? I think there is a huge difference between a little profit and a little loss. Example five dollar profit vs five dollar loss is ten bucks, so in reality there are not any small losses vs small profits, and there is a huge difference between a large profit and a small loss.

Fan appeal? Really no contest, Mobile or Houston in January vs New Orleans near Christmas. Really New Orleans anytime is a better fan day experience.

Now I agree if things are pretty much equal Mobile vs Houston then the team might consider doing what is best for the conference, but even here we see Houston as a much stronger city for UL than Mobile.

We are putting a lot of cart before the horse. UL needs to win every game they are favored in to even get to seven wins. Doing this with a guy who has started one game in three years seems a bit of a challenge at best. We have no real second backup at that position.

Of course UL should do what's best for them. It's just a matter of weighing out which is more important- revenue in the short term, or potential gains due to increased TV monies, invites to bigger bowls, an invite to a bigger (and more profitable) conference etc over the long haul.

Think about a potential loss of revenue by going to a different bowl as an investment (or gamble).
10-10-2012 10:21 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

You cannot win the PR war so New Orleans is a publicity loser for UL at this point.

As for the idea that the date in Mobile is a negative. 10,000 seats sold by Arkansas State last year vs. around 3,500 in Lafayette (albeit we had people who lost their reservations when Hilton Garden Inn didn't open on time and a lot of disappointment post-Katrina).

The extra weeks make it easier to sell tickets because people have extra time to plan time off from work and pick up a couple extra paychecks before having to pay for tickets and a trip on top of Christmas.
10-10-2012 02:59 PM
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(10-10-2012 02:59 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  You cannot win the PR war so New Orleans is a publicity loser for UL at this point.

As for the idea that the date in Mobile is a negative. 10,000 seats sold by Arkansas State last year vs. around 3,500 in Lafayette (albeit we had people who lost their reservations when Hilton Garden Inn didn't open on time and a lot of disappointment post-Katrina).

The extra weeks make it easier to sell tickets because people have extra time to plan time off from work and pick up a couple extra paychecks before having to pay for tickets and a trip on top of Christmas.

ArkState, the Cajuns have a unique situation in concerns with the New Orleans Bowl. Other then LSU, no other state university has as many alumnus in the New Orleans area or Northshore. So I don't think the PR war is a loser for UL as you stated. Its a winner regardless of what comparison you make because none of the above applies to UL.

Secondly, comparing your bowl game in Lafayette (something that was thrown together at the last minute because of Katrina) to your visit to Mobile is not applicable here either. Both are unique circumstances without debate.

Should UL have a chance to return to the New Orleans bowl against a regional opponent like Houston or Southern Miss, all bets are off on a new bowl attendance record.
10-10-2012 03:22 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
It worked for Boise. Boise played 3 of their first 4 bowls in their own stadium...after that they couldn't give less of a damn if anyone cared about...PR. They made money hand over fist and turned around and pumped it back into their program. Without having those 3 bowl games where they didn't have to travel...they would not be where they are today. Now explain it to me how going to the closest bowl possible is a bad idea?
10-10-2012 03:48 PM
MTPiKapp Offline
Socialist

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(10-10-2012 03:22 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  Should UL have a chance to return to the New Orleans bowl against a regional opponent like Houston or Southern Miss, all bets are off on a new bowl attendance record.

Southern Miss is 0-5, they do have the benefit of having Rice(1-5), UAB(1-4), Memphis(1-4) and UTEP(1-5) still on the schedule, but even if they manage to take care of business and go 4-0 against that powder puff schedule, they have three decent opponents in UCF(3-2), Marshall(2-4) and SMU(2-3) that they have to beat at least two out of three. Southern Miss is not going bowling this year and if they somehow manage 6 wins, they're not going to travel well at all after a season they're disgusted with to a bowl they're tired of traveling to. I'm not saying it wouldn't set a new record but it won't be some ridiculous number. Wouldn't expect Southern Miss to bring more than about 10k.

Houston has a much better shot at getting there but I don't see them traveling exceptionally well either. After the run they've had the last few years and the fact.that they're heading to.the Big East, I guarantee you many fans will look at the NOB vs a Sun Belt member as being beneath them.
10-10-2012 03:58 PM
MTPiKapp Offline
Socialist

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(10-10-2012 03:48 PM)cajunhawk Wrote:  It worked for Boise. Boise played 3 of their first 4 bowls in their own stadium...after that they couldn't give less of a damn if anyone cared about...PR. They made money hand over fist and turned around and pumped it back into their program. Wit hout having those 3 bowl games where they didn't have to travel...they would not be where they are today. Now explain it to me how going to the closest bowl possible is a bad idea?

ArkStfan has more knowledge about this kind of stuff in his little finger than you'll ever have.

Nevermind the fact that in those first three bowl years they won 10, 10 and 12 games and also sat at home at 8-4 in the middle of that run. They're where they are today because over a 13 year period, they failed to win double digit games twice and of those 11 double digit win seasons 7 of them they won 12+. That's why they are where they are. Not because they played in the Humanitarian Bowl three times.
10-10-2012 04:07 PM
CajunAmos Offline
1st String

(10-10-2012 03:58 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(10-10-2012 03:22 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  Should UL have a chance to return to the New Orleans bowl against a regional opponent like Houston or Southern Miss, all bets are off on a new bowl attendance record.

Southern Miss is 0-5, they do have the benefit of having Rice(1-5), UAB(1-4), Memphis(1-4) and UTEP(1-5) still on the schedule, but even if they manage to take care of business and go 4-0 against that powder puff schedule, they have three decent opponents in UCF(3-2), Marshall(2-4) and SMU(2-3) that they have to beat at least two out of three. Southern Miss is not going bowling this year and if they somehow manage 6 wins, they're not going to travel well at all after a season they're disgusted with to a bowl they're tired of traveling to. I'm not saying it wouldn't set a new record but it won't be some ridiculous number. Wouldn't expect Southern Miss to bring more than about 10k.

Houston has a much better shot at getting there but I don't see them traveling exceptionally well either. After the run they've had the last few years and the fact.that they're heading to.the Big East, I guarantee you many fans will look at the NOB vs a Sun Belt member as being beneath them.

Should note that of the 42,000 at the NO Bowl last year, at most 2,000 were SDST fans.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 04:16 PM by CajunAmos.)
10-10-2012 04:16 PM
Advertisement

CrazyCajun Offline
All American

(10-10-2012 03:58 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  

MTPhiKapp just using them as an example, not speaking literally. USM has a proven track record but any program that could sell more then 2000 tickets would be a great improvement over San Diego State.
10-10-2012 04:28 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Boise State stayed home at 8-4 in 2001. Their bowl experience had been @Boise and @Boise.

In 2003 they successfully lobbied to get released from Boise in order to go to Ft. Worth to play 11-1 TCU who finished #2 in CUSA so they wouldn't have to play 6-6 Georgia Tech.

In 2004 Boise again lobbies to be released from Boise, this time to go to Memphis to play 10-1 Louisville and avoided playing 8-3 Virginia at home

2005 back at home.

2006 BCS

2007 Again passes on Georgia Tech at home to go to Hawaii and play ECU.

2008 passes to go to Poinsettia in part to get Poinsettia to try to the WAC and in part to play 10-2 TCU and passing on 7-5 Maryland.

Boise saw value in not being branded a bowl team that could only draw at home. But what do they know?
10-10-2012 04:59 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF

+1
10-10-2012 05:12 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
Its really not ULL's choice at this point. Unless they win the conference. You see it works like this. The champion goes to the New Orleans bowl unless they turn it down. Mobile gets second pick this year. If ULL wins the conference, they can choose to return to New Orleans. They will have earned the right to choose. If they finish second, they'll have to hope that whoever wins it prefers to play in Mobile. If they finish third or below, they probably shouldn't be complaining about their bowl slot, because with more bowl eligible teams than contractual bowl slots, I don't think getting picky is a good idea.
10-10-2012 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.