Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rutgers at Louisville for the
St. Patrick Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Gator Bowl Bid? Anybody agree? Looking at the ND schedule, they will probadly not lose another game and get an BCS at-large bid. I think that the Gator Bowl could come down to the RU-UL game. I know that once Rutgers becomes bowl eligible, that they will become a media favorite and the bowls would like to see them at their game.
11-03-2005 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

We got Pittsburgh tonight and Rutgers has USF. It is ONE GAME AT A TIME FOR BOTH TEAMS. Anyway if the Vols upset the Irish Saturday it is all a moot point anyway. Then we would be rooting for another ND loss.
11-03-2005 11:05 AM
TopCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Doesn't a Notre Dame loss put them in the gator bowl? How is that set up?
11-03-2005 11:07 AM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

I agree that Rutgers can become a media darling this year, but I think the Gator would prefer a 9-2 Louisville to a 9-2 Rutgers. Louisville has proven 7 years running that they put fannies in seats and that's what any bowl is looking for. How Rutgers would travel would be a mystery to the Gator so I think they would prefer to go with what's proven. But isn't this a good problem for us to be contemplating? 04-cheers
11-03-2005 11:30 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Doesn't a Notre Dame loss put them in the gator bowl? How is that set up?

-- yes...another ND loss and they are probably looking at the Gator bowl

Quote:I agree that Rutgers can become a media darling this year, but I think the Gator would prefer a 9-2 Louisville to a 9-2 Rutgers

-- Agree...even if RU happened to win it wouldn't suprise me if UL got picked to go to the Gator anyway.......Cardianl fans traditon of traveling and there more known football name will make them too attractive to pass up

-- I just hope RU doesn't have to go to Arizona to play in the insight.com bowl...can you imagine how RU fans would feel when they finally are bowl elgiable and the bowl they make is 1000s of miles away

Jackson
11-03-2005 11:34 AM
Advertisement

St. Patrick Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:

TopCoug Wrote:Doesn't a Notre Dame loss put them in the gator bowl? How is that set up?
One more loss by ND puts them into the Gator Bowl.
11-03-2005 11:34 AM
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

I remember in 2001 when SU was 9-2 (6-1) in conference and the Gator Bowl "snubbed us for VT" a team with a worst record

Gator Bowl is natorious for picking the "WVU/VT" SU,Pitt have absolutly no chance of returning to that bowl

"SU/Pitt may never be asked to alot of Bowl"
11-03-2005 11:39 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Then Syracuse needs to travel to bowls.
11-03-2005 11:57 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:I agree that Rutgers can become a media darling this year, but I think the Gator would prefer a 9-2 Louisville to a 9-2 Rutgers

-- Agree...even if RU happened to win it wouldn't suprise me if UL got picked to go to the Gator anyway.
Actually the Cards probably have to beat Rutgers to even give the Gator a chance to pick them. Ignoring all other games left, if Rutgers beats UofL that gives Rutgers 4 BE wins and UofL 3 BE losses. Rutgers would have to get beat by someone else for the Gator to even take UofL. Then of course you have other teams to consider.
11-03-2005 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

TopCoug Wrote:Doesn't a Notre Dame loss put them in the gator bowl? How is that set up?
Now if ND happens to lose Saturday then we need either UofL or RU to run the table and go 9-2 and we would need ANOTHER ND loss. A 7-4 ND team cannot take a 9-2 Big East team spot in the Gator Bowl.

BUT a 8-3 ND team certainly and likely will be going to the Gator Bowl and the 9-2 Big East team will be headed to Charlotte.
11-03-2005 12:11 PM
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Last time a 9-2 Big east team got snubbed from Gator they went to the "Insight Bowl" in Arizona

It would be a shame for 9-2 UL/RU to be sent packing to Arizona to play Pac10 #4 :frown:

I would like Insight Bowl alot more if it was Big East #3 - Pac10 #3
11-03-2005 12:15 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

PusherT Wrote:Last time a 9-2 Big east team got snubbed from Gator they went to the "Insight Bowl" in Arizona

It would be a shame for 9-2 UL/RU to be sent packing to Arizona to play Pac10 #4 :frown:

I would like Insight Bowl alot more if it was Big East #3 - Pac10 #3
If the PAC-10 does not get 2 teams in the BCS then the Big East team in the Insight will have a very tough game. I prefaced the previous sentence because some sites are predicting a 11-0 USC and 10-1 UCLA in the BCS, but I don't think that the PAC10 will get both into BCS games unless they go a combined 21-1, the final game is real close, and they get some help.

You figure USC to Rose, UCLA to Holiday, then probably Oregon to Sun Bowl as the #3 choice, and finally California in the Insight. The Bears are 6-2 but have USC left. And actually California @ Oregon on Saturday will go a long way in determining who a BE team plays in the Insight.

My guess is you'll see a 7-4 California team as the opponent. That'd make them unranked almost for sure but still a good opponent. If Notre Dame makes the BCS, California is certainly plenty to worry about for an 8-3 Rutgers or UofL.
11-03-2005 12:44 PM
USFPDiddy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

USF is a long way from even making a bowl, but we've had a long layoff. If our offensive staff put some offense together, especially in the passing game, we could be dangerous.

Interestingly enough, USF can't really make the gator bowl. The only way we'd be eligible to get rid of a 9-2 UL team would be to win out. That would make us 8-3, and the bowl would still pick UL due to attendance and proximity.

However, if by some miracle that happened, USF would have a strong case for a BCS appearance, holding the BE tiebreaker over WVU and everyone else having at least 2 losses. After a 5 game winning streak we'd probably be top 20, too. All big ifs.

BCS or bust? I'm thinking the reality is we might sneak into a bowl at 6-5 or 7-4.
11-03-2005 01:48 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

USFPDiddy Wrote:Interestingly enough, USF can't really make the gator bowl. The only way we'd be eligible to get rid of a 9-2 UL team would be to win out. That would make us 8-3, and the bowl would still pick UL due to attendance and proximity.
I didn't really know what to think about USF and the Gator Bowl, even if not for this year, then in the future.

Wouldn't USF bring a ton of fans to the Gator Bowl? Its only about a 3 hour drive or so I would guess. The big downside is the drop in hotel and all other spending in the city compared to other fans who would all stay in the city but I would think USF could get way more fans to the game than any BE team besides WVU and UofL and maybe as many as them or close, just due to it being a short drive.
11-03-2005 06:57 PM
USFPDiddy Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

CollegeCard Wrote:
USFPDiddy Wrote:Interestingly enough, USF can't really make the gator bowl.  The only way we'd be eligible to get rid of a 9-2 UL team would be to win out.  That would make us 8-3, and the bowl would still pick UL due to attendance and proximity.
I didn't really know what to think about USF and the Gator Bowl, even if not for this year, then in the future.

Wouldn't USF bring a ton of fans to the Gator Bowl? Its only about a 3 hour drive or so I would guess. The big downside is the drop in hotel and all other spending in the city compared to other fans who would all stay in the city but I would think USF could get way more fans to the game than any BE team besides WVU and UofL and maybe as many as them or close, just due to it being a short drive.
Did I actually type proximity too? Whoops. I would assume we'd attend it well, being our first bowl game and all, but I doubt USF could have the same type of road crowd UL could at this stage in the game.

I'm sure in the future the gator will like us, but I doubt we could edge a 9-2 UL this year nonetheless.
11-04-2005 12:09 AM
WVUCoffey Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

WVU was 9-3 in 2002 and they took ND. That was Tys first year. Man, I tell you, I hate ND but both of their recent coaches are great people and deserve to win. I still hate ND. See that is the difference in a Mountaineers hate for Pitt and ND. We can respect but hate ND. We just hate Pitt.
11-04-2005 12:18 AM
WVUCoffey Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

USF by the way has a staff who was with Rich Rod before he came to WVU. If USF fans would look at WVU, you can see the direction they are taking. The great thing is, we are building our program around the run, as you must do in a BCS conference, and installing spread offenses that can develope into pass or rush. It allows you to contoll the game with the run and install go to recievers as they become available by recruiting classes. WVU recruits heavily in Florida and the South. USF is in Florida, and you guys are now the fourth BCS program, (I hope for USF's sake that UCF never gets added) your recruiting will get you guys physically into position and the coaching staff will build their program. The Spread started with RRod (although, even he admits its just variations of others but as a BASE offense and he calls it "his old offense") and seeing as how we are doing well and Florida will do well when it realizes a BCS conference must have a power spread, I propose that USF fans give their offensive coaches a little time to adjust and Grow. USFs offensive cooridinator for those who don't know was RRods quarterback at Glenville St in West Virginia when RRod started the Spread. I pull for USF alot because of the connections between the schools. Once a West Virginian, your always all ways Free.
11-04-2005 12:39 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.