Open TigerLinks

John Martin
Bookmark and Share
dwalker85 Offline
Go Tigers Go!

I Root For: Memphis
Exclamation John Martin
Chron.com Rice Game Recap

So it says John Martin wrote this... I just find it funny that they used a Memphis writer for their recap.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 01:24 AM by dwalker85.)
10-07-2012 01:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerfansincebirth89 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: John Martin
Assuming this is the JM the commercial appeal pays to write about Memphis recruiting and who is a U o M alum (student?)...

"...the hapless Tigers..."

Honestly I'm kind of getting sick of this kid. Whether it's his sketchy sources, calling recruiting losses "haymakers", or dogging our team on Saturday and getting paid to write about them on Monday, he is just obnoxious.
10-07-2012 01:34 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(10-07-2012 01:34 AM)tigerfansincebirth89 Wrote:  Assuming this is the JM the commercial appeal pays to write about Memphis recruiting and who is a U o M alum (student?)...

Honestly I'm kind of getting sick of this kid. Whether it's his sketchy sources, calling recruiting losses "haymakers", or dogging our team on Saturday and getting paid to write about them on Monday, he is just obnoxious.

His "sources" are the Memphis Roar premium board. I've seen the kid plagarize on more than one occasion. He gets stuff off this board too.

Not that it's a new idea. Wolken used to do it all the time. Reporters are lazy by nature.
10-07-2012 01:37 AM
cbhstiger Offline
Phantom Mercenary

I Root For: Brewpubs
Don't think this is the same John Martin. At the end of that article it says it's a freelance writer.
10-07-2012 01:55 AM
UPStiger Offline
1st String

Martin gets a scoop from time to time. It's not like every source and every piece of info comes through Brooks first. I also wouldn't be surprised that Wolken got ideas off of fan boards occasionally. I would imagine that if you are trying to fill the newspaper and local radio with relevant Tiger talk and info year around, you would have to dip into every resource available to you.
10-07-2012 06:21 AM
MemphisMojo Offline
All American

I Root For: Democrats
(10-07-2012 01:37 AM)TOGC Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 01:34 AM)tigerfansincebirth89 Wrote:  Assuming this is the JM the commercial appeal pays to write about Memphis recruiting and who is a U o M alum (student?)...

His "sources" are the Memphis Roar premium board. I've seen the kid plagarize on more than one occasion. He gets stuff off this board too.

Not that it's a new idea. Wolken used to do it all the time. Reporters are lazy by nature.

Says the expert on everything.
10-07-2012 06:47 AM
Advertisement

poppaslaw Offline
Social Credit Score - 0

I Root For: CHY-NAH

Donators
John Martin
(10-07-2012 01:55 AM)cbhstiger Wrote:  Don't think this is the same John Martin. At the end of that article it says it's a freelance writer.

Yes it's our John Martin.

#adollamakemehollahoneybooboo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-07-2012 06:50 AM
cdrtiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: tigers

Man you are one nutty cookie. Paranoid!! John Martin has reported more than Roar at this point. Do you really think Roar is the only one in the world that has information. In fact for Roar to get information they have to get it from someone. That means someone knew before them.

Like I said Paranoid and a little nutty
10-07-2012 08:28 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(10-07-2012 08:28 AM)cdrtiger Wrote:  

Man you are one nutty cookie. Paranoid!! John Martin has reported more than Roar at this point. Do you really think Roar is the only one in the world that has information. In fact for Roar to get information they have to get it from someone. That means someone knew before them.

Like I said, I've seen him do it on more than one occasion. In fact, I can't think of one time he has actually gotten a scoop on anything.
10-07-2012 08:44 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

You wouldn't know because you don't have access to Roar. It's an ongoing joke over there...just like you are an ongoing joke over here.
10-07-2012 08:52 AM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(10-07-2012 06:21 AM)UPStiger Wrote:  Martin gets a scoop from time to time. It's not like every source and every piece of info comes through Brooks first. I also wouldn't be surprised that Wolken got ideas off of fan boards occasionally. I would imagine that if you are trying to fill the newspaper and local radio with relevant Tiger talk and info year around, you would have to dip into every resource available to you.

Exactly. I don't understand what the big deal is, if they even do it.
10-07-2012 08:55 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Martin does a great job and is well like by his peers in his profession. He is a hard worker. Too bad so many people have an "agenda" against him.

#smh
10-07-2012 09:38 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

My only agenda is that the CA actually hire qualified writers, not just plagarists who have less experience watching sports than the average teenager.
10-07-2012 09:40 AM
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Says the expert on everything.

Having an opinion does not make you an expert. Its alright to opinions about everything.
10-07-2012 09:42 AM
TOGC Offline
Resident genius

(10-07-2012 09:42 AM)Pressed Rat Wrote:  Says the expert on everything.

Having an opinion does not make you an expert. Its alright to opinions about everything.

Having a job at the CA doesn't make a person an expert either. In fact, it usually means the opposite.
10-07-2012 09:44 AM
GoTigersJoe87 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
You guys should lay off of John. He's doing a hell of a job for a young kid. Of course, he still has a lot to learn; but journalism is a much tougher gig than some of you who have never tried it perceive.
10-07-2012 09:55 AM
Advertisement

tmoneyinmphs Offline
Mt.org's DJ wannabe

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(10-07-2012 09:38 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Martin does a great job and is well like by his peers in his profession. He is a hard worker. Too bad so many people have an "agenda" against him.

#smh

You mean like the agenda that you and the ymt crew had against brooks?
10-07-2012 10:26 AM
cdrtiger Offline
Banned

(10-07-2012 08:44 AM)TOGC Wrote:  

Like I said, I've seen him do it on more than one occasion. In fact, I can't think of one time he has actually gotten a scoop on anything.

Let me just give you one to start - Leron Black
10-07-2012 10:51 AM
cdrtiger Offline
Banned

(10-07-2012 08:52 AM)Stammers Wrote:  

You wouldn't know because you don't have access to Roar. It's an ongoing joke over there...just like you are an ongoing joke over here.

Stammers you are a complete dubmass. I do have access over there and if you want me to post I will. As ususal, you are wrong Again. Complete moron
10-07-2012 10:53 AM
tigerfansincebirth89 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers!
(10-07-2012 09:55 AM)GoTigersJoe87 Wrote:  You guys should lay off of John. He's doing a hell of a job for a young kid. Of course, he still has a lot to learn; but journalism is a much tougher gig than some of you who have never tried it perceive.

I think it's ridiculous that someone would say we should lay off a writer because he is young. What sports journalist doesn't have a love/hate relationship with his readers? John has a lot of skill in writing and reporting, but he too often sensationalizes stories or toots his own horn in regards to connections. He doesn't need to be coddled. He is a professional and in his field you grow by learning what your readers do not respond well to.

I imagine that he will learn and grow out of the phase where he calls losing one recruit a "haymaker" to a program. Leron Black was actually someone Martin had strong ties to, but he still shouldn't have delivered the report as though it was prophetic fulfillment of the coming Tiger basketball apocalypse.

This report (if written by Martin and it would be a hell of a coincidence if it wasn't) isn't a good thing to do when trying to establish yourself with readers in your city. Calling the program you cover "hapless" won't sit well with some, especially after their first win.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 11:00 AM by tigerfansincebirth89.)
10-07-2012 10:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.