ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The OFF-TOPIC Thread (all topics not directly related to ODU Sports)
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
The OFF-TOPIC Thread (all topics not directly related to ODU Sports)
What a shame, Could not have happened to more upstanding folks.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/201...r-2261845/
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 12:21 PM by ODUsmitty.)
10-06-2012 12:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monarchman Offline
1st String

RE: Trouble in Ram Land
Nice, and good timing too with the NCAA. Hopefully this becomes a trend for them.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 10:20 AM by monarchman.)
10-06-2012 04:42 AM
OLD DIRTY Offline
Banned

Quote: They can earn a fourth year of competition as redshirt seniors if they have more than 80 percent of their degree requirements completed after four years,
03-lmfao

While VCU's quality of education is low, this is still hilarious.
10-06-2012 06:00 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I didn't think it was possible to fail an art class.
10-06-2012 07:40 AM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

I am shocked and amazed. Just shocked. How on God's green earth did happen...so late. Ever listen to most their players speak? Surprised most of them graduated from grade school.
10-06-2012 07:46 AM
The Flagship Offline
All American

F VCU.
10-06-2012 09:43 AM
Advertisement

CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
On a human note, hopefully this experience will convince these young VCU 'fellas to actually take academics seriously. Their academic shortcomings spell doom for their basketball careers, and they will doom their career prospects out in the real world too.

On an ODU note, this only bolsters our chances against them in December. We can give them a run for their money (and maybe even spark an upset) if we stay healthy, stay hungry, and most importantly...stay eligible. 05-stirthepot
10-06-2012 11:48 AM
djnva Offline
All American

(10-06-2012 07:40 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I didn't think it was possible to fail an art class.

Their issues were from high school, not VCU's art classes.

03-nutkick
10-06-2012 04:04 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2012 04:04 PM)djnva Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 07:40 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I didn't think it was possible to fail an art class.

03-nutkick

As much as we all dislike VCU, its a little unfair to pick on 17-18 yr old kids like this. Its also a little disingenuous considering we have certainly had our share of academic issue lately as well. By all accounts the Burgess family is a quality bunch and mom is an educator. Supposedly these issues stemmed from a decision by the NCAA to crack down on kids who are transferring multiple times during their HS career. Lets not let our dislike of a bunch of yellow and black wearing slobs infect our judgement and class.
10-06-2012 04:26 PM
finalcloud Offline
2nd String

(10-06-2012 09:43 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  F VCU.

Um....this.
10-06-2012 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
djnva Offline
All American

(10-06-2012 04:26 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

03-nutkick

As much as we all dislike VCU, its a little unfair to pick on 17-18 yr old kids like this. Its also a little disingenuous considering we have certainly had our share of academic issue lately as well. By all accounts the Burgess family is a quality bunch and mom is an educator. Supposedly these issues stemmed from a decision by the NCAA to crack down on kids who are transferring multiple times during their HS career. Lets not let our dislike of a bunch of yellow and black wearing slobs infect our judgement and class.

I wasn't picking on the kids, just relaying what the issue was.

And the "nutpunch" smiley is in reference to the VCU fans.
10-06-2012 05:34 PM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2012 05:34 PM)djnva Wrote:  

03-nutkick

Sorry I shouldn't have quoted you. It wasn't a reference to your post 04-cheers
10-06-2012 08:21 PM
djnva Offline
All American

Oh. Well then.

Ignore the horse head in your bed.

:)
10-06-2012 10:24 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2012 08:21 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

03-nutkick

Which, by process of elimination, must make me the classless and inconsiderate one.

My true apologies, Monarchblue, I hadn't realized that this site is adopting the preachy approach of monarchnation.com.

Here, let me try again:

"So sorry for your recent misfortune, Rams. It's a real shame when bad things happen to good people. But I'm sure that if your young players work really, really hard and try their very, very best every day, well then things will work out just fine. We miss you." 03-weeping

Better?
10-07-2012 08:12 AM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I, for one, am sick to death of VCU and all things VCU. I couldn't care less if the earth opened up and swallowed the whole goddamned place. Why the hell do we have to mention them at all. Smitty? Explanations? We are better than them on every level and we lower ourselves with just a simple mention of them. They are pathetic scum and their mere existence offends me. I hate to be so wishy-washy on this but that's just the way it is!
10-07-2012 08:34 AM
N2theBlue Offline
Special Teams

While it sucks for VCU this year, if these kids decide to stay an extra year, they will be beasting by 2016.
10-07-2012 08:48 AM
Advertisement

ODUR8R Offline
All American

They are basically burning a year this year, will be sophomores next year and "can" qualify for a 5th year under special circumstances. It had nothing to do with the university or the character of the student-athlete and will have a negligible overall effect on their season. Nothing to see here.
10-07-2012 12:04 PM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-07-2012 08:34 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  I, for one, am sick to death of VCU and all things VCU. I couldn't care less if the earth opened up and swallowed the whole goddamned place. Why the hell do we have to mention them at all. Smitty? Explanations? We are better than them on every level and we lower ourselves with just a simple mention of them. They are pathetic scum and their mere existence offends me. I hate to be so wishy-washy on this but that's just the way it is!

VCU has been out biggest rival for years. They will continue to be a huge in-state OOC rival.
I for one am always curious about VCU; indeed, any potential foe, but especially VCU.

In a very Confucian way, Sun Tzu said:
"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

To paraphrase; Know thyself, and know thine enemy.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 01:11 PM by ODUalum78.)
10-07-2012 01:07 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(10-07-2012 08:12 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 08:21 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(10-06-2012 04:04 PM)djnva Wrote:  Their issues were from high school, not VCU's art classes.

03-nutkick

Which, by process of elimination, must make me the classless and inconsiderate one.

My true apologies, Monarchblue, I hadn't realized that this site is adopting the preachy approach of monarchnation.com.

Here, let me try again:

"So sorry for your recent misfortune, Rams. It's a real shame when bad things happen to good people. But I'm sure that if your young players work really, really hard and try their very, very best every day, well then things will work out just fine. We miss you." 03-weeping

Better?

It wasn't really aimed at you either. It was more aimed at the overall tone of the thread. I just don't like the idea of rejoicing over something like this. As I said before I shouldn't have quoted previous text.
10-07-2012 07:38 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(10-07-2012 01:07 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(10-07-2012 08:34 AM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  I, for one, am sick to death of VCU and all things VCU. I couldn't care less if the earth opened up and swallowed the whole goddamned place. Why the hell do we have to mention them at all. Smitty? Explanations? We are better than them on every level and we lower ourselves with just a simple mention of them. They are pathetic scum and their mere existence offends me. I hate to be so wishy-washy on this but that's just the way it is!

VCU has been out biggest rival for years. They will continue to be a huge in-state OOC rival.
I for one am always curious about VCU; indeed, any potential foe, but especially VCU.

In a very Confucian way, Sun Tzu said:
"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

To paraphrase; Know thyself, and know thine enemy.

I know all about the rivalry. I saw my first ODU-VCU game in January 1971 at the Franklin Street gym in Richmond. For any additional opinions I may have on the subject I refer you to my initial post.
10-07-2012 08:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.