Question regarding football
Bookmark and Share
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Question regarding football
Since you guys left the homeless shelter/halfway house conference, I haven't kept up with Campbell admittedly. That said, any thoughts on scholarships being added and joining the Big South fully?
And yes, Campbell should be playing atleast Gardner Webb and PC every year.
09-18-2012 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
RE: Question regarding football
Scholarships won't happen anytime in the next decade. To much money would be lost if they decided to go from non-scholarship football.
09-18-2012 02:07 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

Also, you can't play them if they won't play you. I think the issue Campbell is having at the moment is that no scholarship program will travel to Buies Creek and Big South team's outside of Liberty and Coastal (who you don't want to play) don't have any type of payout.

No reason to play a road game you either don't get a return game from or you don't get $$$ from...just my two cents.
09-18-2012 02:11 PM
Advertisement

fightingcamel2594 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell
I know that it is unlikely to happen soon, but a move to a scholarship program would be nice, especially with Coastal trying to move away from the Big South. However, at a point, having a football program without scholarships serves almost no purpose because it's almost impossible to compete. I mean, I love Campbell and football like crazy but it seems as though it was started just to have something else to do on the weekends. Why put so much money into a field, clothing, equipment, etc. when you can't even compete?

Even more frustrating is the fact that now since the Pioneer league will receive an automatic bid for the FCS playoffs, Campbell will probably be even more reluctant to move.
09-18-2012 05:28 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

(09-18-2012 05:28 PM)fightingcamel2594 Wrote:  I know that it is unlikely to happen soon, but a move to a scholarship program would be nice, especially with Coastal trying to move away from the Big South. However, at a point, having a football program without scholarships serves almost no purpose because it's almost impossible to compete. I mean, I love Campbell and football like crazy but it seems as though it was started just to have something else to do on the weekends. Why put so much money into a field, clothing, equipment, etc. when you can't even compete?

Even more frustrating is the fact that now since the Pioneer league will receive an automatic bid for the FCS playoffs, Campbell will probably be even more reluctant to move.

Its not about competing for anything but PFL wins and tuition $$$. Heck, it wasn't even started to have something to do on the weekends...it is a very nice bi-product. Non-scholarship football essentially allows the University to reach out and attract male student athletes who are essentially paying room and board to play football.

Plus, no offense to an area I love, Buies Creek, but it cannot support through marketing dollars and ticket sales a scholarship football program.

My other issue is this...there are 14 Division I Football schools in the state...and only two play non-scholarship football. Also, there are another 14 Division II Football schools (i.e. Pembroke) offering athletic scholarships of some sort in the state of NC. So if C-U is recruiting alot of kids in-state which they are by necessity and you have another 26 SCHOLARSHIP programs offering athletic aid either full or partial (not just academic) to the same crop of athletes each year, what level of athlete is actually left?

All of that is just my two cents.
09-19-2012 02:43 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
As a Liberty fan, I'd like to see Campbell play football in the Big South. I respect Campbell and think you guys are a quality school and I'm happy to have you in the Big South. I know Liberty is trying to move up and out of FCS but while we are here I'll enjoy a good rivalry!
09-19-2012 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.